Drum Workshop Worth The Cash?

jamsjr44 said:
Great post Stu, I don't know why people want to try to discredit DW? You are going to pay for quality and DW produces high quality kits that can be customized to just about any finish you want, but also they sound amazing IMHO. I guess what bothers me most is people forget the most important thing: YOUR DRUM CHOICE IS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE!! Plus when you order something CUSTOMED, you are going to pay for it because it is what you want!

I would not expect every drummer to like DW, just because I love them or Neil Peart uses them, but I have also said that all the big companies make high quality kits and you are going to pay for them regardless. It's like asking is a BMW 325 worth the price? In my opinion yes but you can get an Audi A4 that will perform the same to a point and pay less, but it is not a BMW!!

I think people like to discredit companies that charge alot because they can't afford them. I mean reallistically how many people on here can go drop $3000.00 on a kit right now?? I could but my wife would kill me because we are trying to build a new house in a year, but most guys on here probably can't, so it's easy to say they are not worth the cash and buy something alot cheaper like a Pearl Export and then try to convince yourself is sounds as good as a maple kit from DW. But that is why DW also makes PDP's because they know not everyone can afford their best kits.

And with Pork Pies and Brady which are outstanding kits as well, if they had as many customers as DW's their prices would go up the same. Then someone in the next couple of years will be posting the same question are Pork Pies and Brady's worth the cash? With more demand for their products, the cost to manufacture them would raise and those extra cost get passed on to us. I willing to bet Pork Pies best kit today if it only cost $2000.00, will not be the same next year if their reputation continues to rise, it's just plain economics. DW's started in the guys garage and basement now look at the manufacturing process they have? And there is no way they could still meet the demand for their drums or produce them in mass volume if they didn't expand or increase the cost of their products.

very well put

i think many people discredit anything because they are jealous of it in some way and everyone knows when you hear the name DW you think of great drums and this is coming from a tama fan

but also on the price issue yea if you were to get a 4 or 5 piece kit the price diffrent is about 700+ from most brands at that quality...but when you get into larger drum sets the price difference is rediculous because i am about to buy a 9 piece tama starclassic performer for around 4500 dallors and i got a dw quoted for the exact same drum set and it came out to be around 8100 with out a drum rack which i included in the tama price so in that sense you have to think is getting a DW worth paying 3500 dallors more...for some people it is and for others it isnt

As I said I think DW makes fine drums, but at that price, why not explore other options. To DW is pretty generic, great but generic. I don't want to pay that $ money for generic. If others do, I think that is great. I just choose not to follow the flock and have a 7000.00 kit that sounds like a thousand other 7000 kits.
Enjoy your DW tubs...they are very good instruments, just not for me.

Peace

gmrakich said:
As I said I think DW makes fine drums, but at that price, why not explore other options. To DW is pretty generic, great but generic. I don't want to pay that $ money for generic. If others do, I think that is great. I just choose not to follow the flock and have a 7000.00 kit that sounds like a thousand other 7000 kits.
Enjoy your DW tubs...they are very good instruments, just not for me.

Peace

It's quite bizzarre to hear someone talk about $7000 drums like they are a common thing. :)

IronCobraPTW said:
very well put

i think many people discredit anything because they are jealous of it in some way and everyone knows when you hear the name DW you think of great drums and this is coming from a tama fan

but also on the price issue yea if you were to get a 4 or 5 piece kit the price diffrent is about 700+ from most brands at that quality...but when you get into larger drum sets the price difference is rediculous because i am about to buy a 9 piece tama starclassic performer for around 4500 dallors and i got a dw quoted for the exact same drum set and it came out to be around 8100 with out a drum rack which i included in the tama price so in that sense you have to think is getting a DW worth paying 3500 dallors more...for some people it is and for others it isnt

And with your post I agree if we are talking about two equally quality kits, like a Tama Starclassic which are awesome sounding kits by the way, as much as I love DW am I going to pay that much more for it? That would be tough... But this topic was originally started that someone thought they could get the same quality, sound and gear from a Pearl Export as in DW's best kit and that's the part I just don't see. Ask PEARL if they think their Exports sound as good as their Masterworks or Artisan series? As a matter of fact go to Pearls website any one of you and ask yourself if the Pearl Masterworks/ Artisan Series is worth the cash? These are a few prices I pulled off their pricing list (maple, birch or mahagony shells)

Bass Drum 22' - $3050
Snare Drum 14' - $1650
Tom 10' - $1020
Tom 12' - $1120
Tom 13' - $1270
Floor Tom 15' - $1760
Floor Tom 18' - $1810

I know these are list prices but it still adds up to $11,680 for that kit even if you took 20% off your still looking at $9345.00 oh and that includes no stands. :).
This set is completely customizable just like a DW.

I guess the real question is why did we pick such a dam expensive instrument to fall in love with!!..LOL

Actually the thread was started by the Executioner (who plays Mapex and his brother plays DW) and he felt his Mapex was every bit as good a kit as a DW kit. And it got ugly. Another side to the game is, if you want a DW kit real bad, they're all over eBay. You can save yourself some big dough, and it's probably a safe bet that most DW owners don't flog their equipment.

Last edited:
harryconway said:
Actually the thread was started by the Executioner (who plays Mapex and his brother plays DW) and he felt his Mapex was every bit as good a kit as a DW kit. And it got ugly. Another side to the game is, if you want a DW kit real bad, they're all over eBay. You can save yourself some big dough, and it's probably a safe bet that most DW owners don't flog their equipment.

Well one of the reasons I got the DW is because they are built like tanks. My kit is emerald green onyx (I play in a celtic band) We do festivals in the summer, and play sometimes 3 or 4 sets over the span of a day. Durable wrap and sturdy drums equate to screw the cases, throw them in the back of the truck. (don't freak. Truck bed, sides included is lined with at bed rug.) This way I have a great sounding "beater" and will be saving myself a few hours aday taking them in and out of cases. Please don't think my other kits couldn't hang, they could. But I don't want to have to deal with the cases. I guess it comes down to me being a lazy bastard. : ^ )

As far as DW worth the cash, I think to 99% of the people, they would not be able to tell the difference in tone, attack etc between a PEARL Expot and a Brady, Pork Pie, DW or other high end kit. We are trying to impress ourselves, other drummers and the other 1% with great hearing when we spend the big cash. Nothing is wrong with that....I am a junkie and am helping with several drum makers childrens college funds. As far as prices on DW, here is a little know fact.....On DW exotic kits, dealer cost is 45% of retail, on wrapped kits its 40%. You can imagine DWs cost to produce a kit........I got my kit for 54% off...6 piece verticle grain shells, three 9000 double stands for under 3200. At the end of the festival season I will sell it for about 3000.
I know that at Brady and Pork Pie the owner of the company is still very involved, hands on, in every step of production, so they , IMO are worth the price tag. The have great builders at DW as well, but there is little or no owner involvement. We are not talking about VW BUGS...we are talking about musical instruments.

So what actually are DW list prices? They seem to be the only drum manufacturer that won't make price lists available. You have to go to the dealer to find anything out. I'm considering a DW kit as well as some others and would like to be able to sit at home and compare offerings and prices before going to the dealer but DW makes that difficult. Anyone know what current DW prices are?

gmrakich said:
Lots of DW hype. Lots of marketing... I also find it hard to believe that there are guys in a back room hitting shells with a rubber mallet, and writing down what note they are. But thats me. And the reason why so many "Pros" play them is the deals they are given. Do you think the same kits we buy are made by the same guys making Pearts kit, and other high visibility players.???

I've talked to John Good at length on these topics before. I'm also friendly with one of his long term endorsers, so I've heard a lot of what goes on behind the scenes at DW. Everyone talks about DW's marketing and hype, and when I see a drummer bring up these topics, it just shows a lack of understanding of DW's methods. Everything DW does is pretty straightforward, so there's no voodoo. I've played endorser's DWs before, and they never struck me as anything more special than mine - visually or sonically. John Good is a fanatic about what he makes, no matter who the customer.

Buhaina said:
So what actually are DW list prices? They seem to be the only drum manufacturer that won't make price lists available. You have to go to the dealer to find anything out. I'm considering a DW kit as well as some others and would like to be able to sit at home and compare offerings and prices before going to the dealer but DW makes that difficult. Anyone know what current DW prices are?

Dealer Protection =what the market will bear.

Cost an average of 40K first order to open a DW dealership, and they shove manditory pedals and hardware on you. Very friendly.
What sizes and finish do you want and I will get you the dealer cost so you can bargain.

gmrakich said:
Dealer Protection =what the market will bear.

Cost an average of 40K first order to open a DW dealership, and they shove manditory pedals and hardware on you. Very friendly.
What sizes and finish do you want and I will get you the dealer cost so you can bargain.

There is nothing wrong with that all the companies do it. I'm a huge supporter of NIKE athletic wear and my local store does not carry any of it, why? because you must take $100K of inventory. To open a Subway sandwich franchise averages $250k. To sell Dell Computers about $100k. See my point if you want to sell some of the best gear you have got pay, but if you sell good stuff it will bring in REPEAT customers and that is what you want. The owner of the local store saw the short side of it did not want to sell NIKE so half of the town goes to Dick's Sporting Goods, if he just invested a little he would be getting all that money himself.

But sticking to drums all the companies want you to sell their hardware as well with your their kits, that's just makes economic sense on their part. Personally right now I have a remo masterouch, dw pedals, pearl, remo, yamaha, ascend, and gibraltar stands.

Whether it's DW or not all of them are in it to make money, bottom line. DW does not review the price list because all dealers can afford to give different discounts. If you own 5 stores and the guys across town owns one, the owner of the five will probably give you a better deal, why? because he can afford it. DW let's the dealer determine how much of a profit he wants to make and in all honesty some are greedier than others. When I went looking to purchase my DW9002 bass drum pedal I paid 429 for it at GC. The two other places I went to, which are much smaller than them wanted list price $499.00 and when I said I could get it 70 bucks cheaper at GC, he said "then go buy it there". Well I will never buy anything from him and he is only 10 minutes away from my house, but now I will drive the 30 mins just so I am not giving him any of my money and I spend an average of $300-$500 a year on sticks and heads and other stuff, it's not much to GC but to him and he is willing to do be that way to 5 other guys like myself, he is likely costing himself $2500 a year in extra business.

If there is a DEMAND for the pedals, stands, etc, a dealer would be stupid not to carry. But to be FORCED to buy 3 5000 doubles, 3 9000 doubles, 12 cymbal stands and 6 snare and hi hat stands , just to carry the KITS THEY TELL YOU TO BUY (manditory three exotics and three wrap) for the honor of carrying the line is a bit harsh. And no, I am not a guy in North Dakota who is pissed off because I can't afford a dealership :^ )

GC is the WALMART of musical instruments. What do you think will happen with prices when all the mom and pops are gone. DW is GC's house brand in drums. BTW at 429.00 they still made $150 on your sale.
I am not a DW hater at all but its hard to grasp the brand loyalty with them.

jamsjr44 said:
And with your post I agree if we are talking about two equally quality kits, like a Tama Starclassic which are awesome sounding kits by the way, as much as I love DW am I going to pay that much more for it? That would be tough... But this topic was originally started that someone thought they could get the same quality, sound and gear from a Pearl Export as in DW's best kit and that's the part I just don't see. Ask PEARL if they think their Exports sound as good as their Masterworks or Artisan series? As a matter of fact go to Pearls website any one of you and ask yourself if the Pearl Masterworks/ Artisan Series is worth the cash? These are a few prices I pulled off their pricing list (maple, birch or mahagony shells)

Bass Drum 22' - $3050
Snare Drum 14' - $1650
Tom 10' - $1020
Tom 12' - $1120
Tom 13' - $1270
Floor Tom 15' - $1760
Floor Tom 18' - $1810

I know these are list prices but it still adds up to $11,680 for that kit even if you took 20% off your still looking at $9345.00 oh and that includes no stands. :).
This set is completely customizable just like a DW.

I guess the real question is why did we pick such a dam expensive instrument to fall in love with!!..LOL

Typically, you can get 40-50% off of the list price. Interstate Music sells at almost 50% off of list on high end drums.

Henry II said:
Typically, you can get 40-50% off of the list price. Interstate Music sells at almost 50% off of list on high end drums.

Okay but that is still at least $6000.00 for a non DW kit isn't that about the same a custom DW kit will cost? So is a Pearl Artisan worth the cash.

gmrakich said:
If there is a DEMAND for the pedals, stands, etc, a dealer would be stupid not to carry. But to be FORCED to buy 3 5000 doubles, 3 9000 doubles, 12 cymbal stands and 6 snare and hi hat stands , just to carry the KITS THEY TELL YOU TO BUY (manditory three exotics and three wrap) for the honor of carrying the line is a bit harsh. And no, I am not a guy in North Dakota who is pissed off because I can't afford a dealership :^ )

GC is the WALMART of musical instruments. What do you think will happen with prices when all the mom and pops are gone. DW is GC's house brand in drums. BTW at 429.00 they still made $150 on your sale.
I am not a DW hater at all but its hard to grasp the brand loyalty with them.

I had my first DW5000 for 16 years before I bought this one 2 years ago and it never gave me one problem, I finally got rid of it because it was old and had done all it could and I bought that pedal used $275.00 and it still lasted me that long. So to me for that price and the dependability I just believe in there equipment. Before I went to a DW pedal I had a Yamaha, Pearl and Ludwig single pedals and I broke them all. I know there pedals are much better today, but I will stick with DW. I love my Remo Mastertouch kit but they don't make them anymore, but if they did I would replace my old one with a new Remo.

And again NO DEALER is forced to sell DW but if they want too then they need abide by their rules and I do not have a problem with that. Just like anyone of us you can buy any car we want, you don't have to buy a BMW if you don't want to.

We're getting a long way from the original question, I think.

Are Drum Workshop worth the cash? Well, answering that needs two bits of data:

1) What else is available for the same price?
2) What do all the different kits in the same price range sound like, to you.

The second is subjective, so we're not going to arrive at a single correct answer. BUT, my answer to the second one is "They sound better". I've heard, acoustically, brand new Yamaha MCA and DW kits in the same room. The Yamaha sounded worse from behind, much better from the audience perspective. The Yamaha is a cheaper kit. The DW might be a good choice for recording where you're likely to hear a lot of the sound from behind, but for a mix of live and studio work I'd take the MCA any day, even if I had the money for a DW.

But when you move up to the competing Ayotte, Sonor etc stuff (i.e - similar large-brand custom makers) then I don't think there's much competition. When I think back to drum sounds that have made me go "Wow" in recent years, none of them that I can think of are DW players. I'm thinking... say... Danny Carey's Sonor tom sound (before the all-metal kit, which isn't quite to my taste), Steve Smith's Sonor kit on the Vital Information live disc (just for "The drum also waltzes", sans cheesy band), Matt Chamberlain's Ayotte Woodhoop + Keplinger snare on the Tori Amos live disc and so forth. I can't think of a DW drum sound that does it for me in the same way.

At the other extreme I actually quite like the crappy-gear sound that you get out of Joey Baron, you can get a remarkably good impression of his tone out of a Yamaha Rydeen and it sounds marvellous. But since we're talking about hyper expensive drums with that pristene, clear tone I'd rather have an Ayotte or Sonor any day - or something produced by a very small master-craftsman shop like Pork Pie or Lignum, rather than a mass-produced approach like that at DW which don't offer things like custom-shaped wood hoops or custom configurations of exotic shell materials and stave construction, etc.

finnhiggins said:
We're getting a long way from the original question, I think.

Are Drum Workshop worth the cash? Well, answering that needs two bits of data:

1) What else is available for the same price?
2) What do all the different kits in the same price range sound like, to you.

The second is subjective, so we're not going to arrive at a single correct answer. BUT, my answer to the second one is "They sound better". I've heard, acoustically, brand new Yamaha MCA and DW kits in the same room. The Yamaha sounded worse from behind, much better from the audience perspective. The Yamaha is a cheaper kit. The DW might be a good choice for recording where you're likely to hear a lot of the sound from behind, but for a mix of live and studio work I'd take the MCA any day, even if I had the money for a DW.

But when you move up to the competing Ayotte, Sonor etc stuff (i.e - similar large-brand custom makers) then I don't think there's much competition. When I think back to drum sounds that have made me go "Wow" in recent years, none of them that I can think of are DW players. I'm thinking... say... Danny Carey's Sonor tom sound (before the all-metal kit, which isn't quite to my taste), Steve Smith's Sonor kit on the Vital Information live disc (just for "The drum also waltzes", sans cheesy band), Matt Chamberlain's Ayotte Woodhoop + Keplinger snare on the Tori Amos live disc and so forth. I can't think of a DW drum sound that does it for me in the same way.

At the other extreme I actually quite like the crappy-gear sound that you get out of Joey Baron, you can get a remarkably good impression of his tone out of a Yamaha Rydeen and it sounds marvellous. But since we're talking about hyper expensive drums with that pristene, clear tone I'd rather have an Ayotte or Sonor any day - or something produced by a very small master-craftsman shop like Pork Pie or Lignum, rather than a mass-produced approach like that at DW which don't offer things like custom-shaped wood hoops or custom configurations of exotic shell materials and stave construction, etc.

Well all of these drummers kits on DW on the recordings I have heard sound just as amazing to me: Marco Minnemann , Neil Peart, Matt Chamberlain(also plays DW), Matt Sorum, Gerald Heyward, Tony Royster Jr. etc... But I also believe it comes down to head configurations, tuning and what sound you prefer to hear drums sound like and the style of music. Steve Smiths kit would not sound good playing Sevendust Material (Morgan Rose who plays PEARL) Just like Neils kit the way it is tuned would probably not sound good playing TOOL songs, but he could change to tuning and heads to probably make it.

When you get down to it in my opinion any kit approaching the $2000 range is going to sound good if you know how to make it.

jamsjr44 said:
Well all of these drummers kits on DW on the recordings I have heard sound just as amazing to me: Marco Minnemann , Neil Peart, Matt Chamberlain(also plays DW), Matt Sorum, Gerald Heyward, Tony Royster Jr. etc... But I also believe it comes down to head configurations, tuning and what sound you prefer to hear drums sound like and the style of music. Steve Smiths kit would not sound good playing Sevendust Material (Morgan Rose who plays PEARL) Just like Neils kit the way it is tuned would probably not sound good playing TOOL songs, but he could change to tuning and heads to probably make it.

When you get down to it in my opinion any kit approaching the $2000 range is going to sound good if you know how to make it.

I agree with you in some respect, but Josh Freese said that he has recorded everything from soft rock to speed metal with his DW kit and said that his kit is perfect for any genre. I think DW makes great drums for all genres.

- Marc

I work in a drum shop so I get to see and play most things.DW kits are amazing and some border on works of art.
Any kit can sound good with nice heads and good tuning.We put Evans heads on our cheaper kits and they sound awesome.But DW kits sound good straight out of the box!
The only kit that compares is the mighty Pearl Reference.I think that maybe the next version of the Reference could well be the best kit ever,as there are a couple of tweaks they need to fix.
Probably DW for me though.Thats what I am saving for.Gotta love that sub woofer !!!

Back