Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin.

This year (in May) i'm gonna do audition for a few Music Schools here in Holland. I'm now playing along with your song Last Call and I would like to use this song for the auditions. But it would be cool to have a version of the song without the drums. (I have your Rhythmic Designs book and there are a few play along tracks, but the song Last Call is not one of them) Is there a way to get that song from you, without the drums?

Ron

Hi scottishhaggis

I've got a question. In your opinion, are there any disadvantages of choosing the 22" ride instead of a 20" one. Have you ever played any 22" ride? What do you think of the 22" of the same K Ride you usually play. I've listened to the samples on the internet, and the 22 k ride have a higher pitch than the 20 k ride, weird stuff.

No I don't think there are disadvantages other than positioning on your set. I like both.

Hi Xin017

This year (in May) i'm gonna do audition for a few Music Schools here in Holland. I'm now playing along with your song Last Call and I would like to use this song for the auditions. But it would be cool to have a version of the song without the drums. (I have your Rhythmic Designs book and there are a few play along tracks, but the song Last Call is not one of them) Is there a way to get that song from you, without the drums?

Sorry - but I can't help you. Can you play one of the other songs instead?

cheers
Gavin

Hi scottishhaggis

I've got a question. In your opinion, are there any disadvantages of choosing the 22" ride instead of a 20" one. Have you ever played any 22" ride? What do you think of the 22" of the same K Ride you usually play. I've listened to the samples on the internet, and the 22 k ride have a higher pitch than the 20 k ride, weird stuff.

No I don't think there are disadvantages other than positioning on your set. I like both.

Hi Xin017

Sorry - but I can't help you. Can you play one of the other songs instead?

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

First of all, thanks for your quick reply.
I would like to play one the other songs instead, but I find them way more difficult than the song Last Call, and I don't have that much time left:p There is no possibility that you can get the drums out of the track? Otherwise I'll have to do something else.
Thanks in advance.

Ron

Hi Gavin,
There is no possibility that you can get the drums out of the track?

Ron
:) Lol, you haven't read enough of this thread.

It is faily long , but this type of request pops up all the time...at least every 2nd page.

Gavin, maybe you could get Bernard to change the thread title to "Gavin Harrison here. No drumless track requests please"? ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my question, Gavin :)

I have a question regarding what do you think of while playing. I read from askgavinharrison.com that you sometimes grunt subdivisions while playing, especially in fills. What I do when I play is I tend to just play from muscle memory, which led me to make mistakes such as tempo fluctuations and off time fills. But now, I keep the pulse in my head, which improved my time and fills.

However I have a major roadblock regarding this. When I do think of the pulse in my head, I can't seem to be listening to the big picture, or the intricacies of what my band and I are playing. I can't seem to 'break out of my comfort zone' to try new and daring fills because I would have to break the pulse in my head to play it. As such I can't improvise as well, as my head is focusing on the pulse.

I realise many professional and top drummers, including you, have the ability to add/subtract/change drum parts throughout the song with ease. Like in this video at 1:58, instead of playing a straight groove, you play a crash on the a of 1 and crash + snare on 2 to give that extra kick. I thought that was just fantastic.

Were parts like those thought out first or played 'on the spot'? Because I would love to play like that.

:) Lol, you haven't read enough of this thread.

It is faily long , but this type of request pops up all the time...at least every 2nd page.

Gavin, maybe you could get Bernard to change the thread title to "Gavin Harrison here. No drumless track requests please"? ;)

Especially after Gavin ALREADY told him he couldn't do it once...

Fox.

In my personal experience, and I like to add some complexity in my playing, the more experienced you are, the more rare it is that what you're playing is actually new to you. The idea is to develop a "library" or archive of fills and ideas that not only you know in theory, but also you've practised and can execute well at different speeds. The more stuff you've got down, the more you can "improvise" and put it in different places at different times, and voiced differently. It's just like speaking, the better your vocabulary is, the more articulate and clear can you be when expressing yourself.
What I mentioend above doesn't have to do with "muscle memory" (whatever that is...), but to have the concepts clearly in your mind, and being able to pull them off against either your own pulse, or that of a metronome.

Fox.
Dude, I know you mean well but this is the 'Gavin Harrison here!' thread, not 'Fox622003 here!' thread. Maybe you can start one of those? Unless the answer has already been given of course and you're trying to save GH the trouble, why does anyone bother? I don't think Volentry is particularly interested in how you or I or others do it, he still wants Gavin's explanation, he's the pro here.

Dude, I know you mean well but this is the 'Gavin Harrison here!' thread, not 'Fox622003 here!' thread. Maybe you can start one of those? Unless the answer has already been given of course and you're trying to save GH the trouble, why does anyone bother? I don't think Volentry is particularly interested in how you or I or others do it, he still wants Gavin's explanation, he's the pro here.

Alright, why bother with a long answer, you're right.

Fox.

Haha I get what you mean but no that doesn't necessarily mean I don't value the advice of more experienced drummers such as Fox's. It was really helpful, I really understand what you meant by that post and it really helped in a way.

But yeah I still want to have Gavin's reply to my question. Thanks anyway, Fox!

Hi GAViN !!!

1. I did ask you about the 20" and 22" K Ride few days ago. Another question on your personal opinion on the topic. Regarding the size and the sound which is different between both these sizes, do you find one of them more versatile than the other one? Why?

2. Did you record drums for the third Blackfield album?

Thanks very much, the fact that you find time to reply to your fans' questions is very much appreciated. Good luck.

Hi Gavin,

I'll soon buy microphones for my drumkit and I have two questions for you:

1. If you had to choose between those 3 kick mics: Audix d6 / AKG d112 / Shure Beta52.
Which would you choose? Why?

2. Do you know a good pair of overheads for 500$?

Thanks for you sharing your time and passion with us!

Will

Hey Gavin,

Apologies if this question / comment has been posted before but do you ever plan on doing some instructional vids on tuning? I know a lot of people love the sound you get and to be honest we're not all fans of the Gatzen vids. :)

Cheers,

Jesse

PS - Are there any vids of you with King Crimson available online or for purchase?

Hey Gavin,

Apologies if this question / comment has been posted before but do you ever plan on doing some instructional vids on tuning? I know a lot of people love the sound you get and to be honest we're not all fans of the Gatzen vids. :)

Cheers,

Jesse

PS - Are there any vids of you with King Crimson available online or for purchase?

Isn't there a short section on tuning on the Rhythmic Designs DVD? Gavin's sound has been widely discussed in this thread, also, so you should search around, or even take a look at the FAQ.

Fox.

Hey Gavin,

Around 6:45 in Anesthetize, you do a really cool six- tuplet rhythm on the snare before going into the "open-close" hi-hate groove. I have a few ideas on what the sticking is but I'm not sure which one you're using. Can you elaborate?

Hi Volentry

I have a question regarding what do you think of while playing. I read from askgavinharrison.com that you sometimes grunt subdivisions while playing, especially in fills. What I do when I play is I tend to just play from muscle memory, which led me to make mistakes such as tempo fluctuations and off time fills. But now, I keep the pulse in my head, which improved my time and fills.

I'm trying to just think about the music and not get too distracted. I'm trying to make the timing as consistent as I can - and come up with 'interesting' fills. Not necessarily complicated ones.

I realise many professional and top drummers, including you, have the ability to add/subtract/change drum parts throughout the song with ease. Like in this video at 1:58, instead of playing a straight groove, you play a crash on the a of 1 and crash + snare on 2 to give that extra kick. I thought that was just fantastic.
Were parts like those thought out first or played 'on the spot'? Because I would love to play like that.

Without trying to sound patronising - it just took me years and years to get to the point where I could start to get really comfortable and play with some freedom. I would say it's still a work in progress. The small fill that you mentioned just came to me one night - and I liked it - so I kept doing it. Shame I didn't think of it when we recorded the album.

Hi scottishhaggis

1. I did ask you about the 20" and 22" K Ride few days ago. Another question on your personal opinion on the topic. Regarding the size and the sound which is different between both these sizes, do you find one of them more versatile than the other one? Why?

I only have the 20" K Ride - and it's extremely versatile. I've never owned a 22" K Ride. I have other 22"s.

2. Did you record drums for the third Blackfield album?

Nope.

Hi willregnier

1. If you had to choose between those 3 kick mics: Audix d6 / AKG d112 / Shure Beta52. Which would you choose? Why?

I'd go for the Audix D6. I really haven't had much luck with an AKG D112. The Beta 52 sounds nice but I've never owned one.

2. Do you know a good pair of overheads for 500$?

sorry - can't help you there.

Hi ElevenFour

yes I did make a section on tuning on my last DVD/Book Rhythmic Designs.

Are there any vids of you with King Crimson available online or for purchase?

Only the audio download of a concert in Chicago 2008. I don't remember any of the shows actually being filmed.

Hi henri

Do you think that Z oriental cymbals are especially fragile?

they're not really designed for heavy rock drumming. They sound great - and yes I have broken a few in my time.

Hi pixelbreaker

Around 6:45 in Anesthetize, you do a really cool six- tuplet rhythm on the snare before going into the "open-close" hi-hate groove. I have a few ideas on what the sticking is but I'm not sure which one you're using. Can you elaborate?

actually it's two 16ths followed by 3 triplet 16ths with this sticking R L R R L (it turns out to be my favorite sticking of all time). If there's any fill of mine you can't work out - it's probably got that sticking in it somewhere!!!

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gav, hope your creativity's going well recording the next O5Ric album.

Just one question please. In 'False Start' of OSI, exactly at 2:12 - 2:20, was that bass part created (invented) after you came up with the displacement or before. This part is very simple on drums (technically), but it sounds so awesome, it seems that in that part no other drum pattern could ever ever take place. For me it's the best displacement I've ever heard you played anywhere. Thanks for that :)

Back