Real Life Whiplash

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Last night I hosted jam night. The jammers use my drum set. And I provide three drum sticks in case they need them.

This guy decides he wants to play drums. Usually drummers bring in their own sticks, but not this guy.
He proceeds to bang the drums as hard as he can. The band was playing some Zeppelin stuff.
OK with me. He kept good time. But had some pretty bad technique.

He was really pounding away and he broke one drum stick. First time in two years that happened. Again it is OK with me.

But then this morning I pull out the two remaining sticks from the jam and I find this:

Img_9788-vi.jpg

OK, so do I simply wash the blood off and continue on?
Or do I throw them away?

I know one thing, I'm not going to use them the next time I play !!!!!

Yeeew... Bleach and lots of it.

Do you want Hepatitis? Because that's how you spread the Hep. The polite thing to do would be to at least let you know.

You can use bleach/water to clean them up, though I would personally toss them. To me, it would be like drinking from an extremely clean toilette.

For what they cost I would pound them tip down in the ground and forget about them.

Ewww Jim, that's disgusting. Do you really need to ask what to do with it?

I never provided sticks. That's the one thing I insisted they have if they wanted to play my beautiful DW kit. (hosted a jam for many years)

Sometimes I would begrudgingly give in. But I made it clear I wasn't happy providing sticks and that next time, they need to bring their own. 99% of people always bought their own sticks. The ones that didn't I reprimanded a little by saying look man, this is the best kit you will ever play at an open mic jam. Isn't it nice? I'm doing you guys a solid by providing a great friggin kit with great cymbals, that you can even adjust if needed. The very least you could do is bring your own sticks out of respect.

Jim, you will need a whole new drum stick bag because the foreign DNA undoubtedly smeared on the insides of your stick bag pockets will contaminate all your other sticks. Just burn it with all the sticks inside and start over. While you're at it, I'm sure his blood got on your drumheads too. Possibly the shells. Probably best to burn everything, including the stage. His blood might have flicked off and landed somewhere. Maybe call the health department.

Ewww. Don't lend sticks out ever again young man!

If those sticks would have been found where I work, they would have called out the HAZMAT responder and disposed of them.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Put on a pair of thick rubber gloves and dispose of those sticks pronto! Then disinfect anything they may have touched. Then burn that. Then bury it. And then...

Yes, I'm going to throw them away.
Heck, if I won't ever use them, (even after cleaning them) why should I let someone else use them.

Although Gruntersdad had a good idea.
If I plant the drum stick in the ground, will it eventually sprout and grow into a drumstick tree?

Larry:
What's your mailing address. I think I'll mail them to you. And you can clean them up and use them, or burn them....... LOL

Eww... Definitely thrown them out.

Are those sticks the only place you found blood? Not to creep you out too much, but you might want to check the hardware, throne, etc.

Dang pounded the kit so hard it drew blood from the drum-I've never seen that. Did he use it to stake a Vampire or something-that's really freaky. Broken or chewed up stick is the worse I've seen. Have you checked the kit good to make no more blood elsewhere? Like everyone has lamented that's a real health hazard. Can't even prick your finger in biology class anymore.

Eww... Definitely thrown them out.

Are those sticks the only place you found blood? Not to creep you out too much, but you might want to check the hardware, throne, etc.

Yes, after reading Larry's post I am going to check out the rest of my kit !

Seeing blood on that drum stick really did creep me out. And I know exactly who put it there.
My bet is that he wacked his finger or cut it on the stick he broke. He split the one stick right down the middle.
He was the last player and I found the sticks on the floor as I was packing up.

Yuk, Fireplace or campfire.
Cut my finger on a wing nut, just before the 1st song at a gig last summer. Started to play, looked down to spatter drops on the batter, they are still there.
But I never would have bled on somebody else's batter. Bad etiquette.

I'd wash them off and use them. Disinfect with cleaner if you want. It can't be more dangerous than kissing girls.

Sell it on eBay - say that it was from the set of Whiplash...

if I had noticed them before the drummer went home - he’d have a souvenir for the evening. It’s just a stick, throw it out.

The nightmare may not be over. The guy might mail you a bill for medial services he needed from your "faulty" drum sticks that injured his hand. Stranger things have happened. Just remember no good deed goes unpunished.

Yuk, Fireplace or campfire.
Cut my finger on a wing nut, just before the 1st song at a gig last summer. Started to play, looked down to spatter drops on the batter, they are still there.
But I never would have bled on somebody else's batter. Bad etiquette.

That would make a good sign to hang up by the drums.

No splatter on the batter.

Back