DW Performance Series

Jeffrey.Orton

Can anyone tell me the pro's/cons to this kit by DW. How much better is the DW vs. PDP??
Thank you all.

Re: DW Preformance Series

DW versus PDP.....night and day.

I think the Performance Series drums are far overpriced for what you get. Last June I opted for a Mapex Saturn kit over a Performance Series kit. I paid less, got more drums, and they sound better (IMO).

I have a Mapex Venus, I'm debating on a PDP X7 or a DW Performance 7peice. I can get everything I want thru PDP for around $2000.00. For the same pieces in the DW will be around $5000.00. I just want to know if it will be worth it.

When I went to guitar center and priced everything that I want about that much(knda on the high side)

Wow.. that is a massive mark-up from what I can tell.

Call Midwest Percussion. That DW Design will probably be around $1250.

When I was shopping for kits early last year, it was $600 more than the Pearl mcx kit I got. I liked the Performance kit, but I couldn't justify spending the extra $$.

Thank you on the Midwest call. I went there they are cheaper than Guitar Center. I added up everything I want to get. It came to $2739.00. That's just the shells no hardware. Still its $300+ saving so Thank you for the information Artstar.

Thank you on the Midwest call. I went there they are cheaper than Guitar Center. I added up everything I want to get. It came to $2739.00. That's just the shells no hardware. Still its $300+ saving so Thank you for the information Artstar.

That price online is not your price. That is MAP.. or the only price they can advertise for.. Just call and ask for Art or John.. They will cut the price down..

Kool will do that thank you for the information.

I own a Performance kit since a few weeks now. I chose it instead of the PDP's because of the build quality. It's superb and no different than a Collectors kit in quality. I actually was checking out a 2nd hand Collector kit and liked the tom sound of the Performance a lot better.

I have a Mapex Venus, I'm debating on a PDP X7 or a DW Performance 7peice. I can get everything I want thru PDP for around $2000.00. For the same pieces in the DW will be around $5000.00. I just want to know if it will be worth it.

PDP X7 vs DW Performance is no comparison ... different level of drums.

I have a Performance kit and love it .. yes they are a little more expensive, but feel I got what I paid for. There are other kits that sound just as good for less money so it really comes down to brand preference and how well that brand is represented at the local retail store you deal with.

I was thinking (That might be the problem, thinking LOL...) Since PDP is a off shoot of DW that they would sound similar. Not be to far off each other in sound.

I really like the virgin bass drum that DW offers, If I'm not mistaken PDP does not offer a Virgin bass...???...

Is there any other good quality kit manufacture that offers a virgin bass drum??

Thank you all for everything I really appreciate it.

I was thinking (That might be the problem, thinking LOL...) Since PDP is a off shoot of DW that they would sound similar. Not be to far off each other in sound.

I really like the virgin bass drum that DW offers, If I'm not mistaken PDP does not offer a Virgin bass...???...

Is there any other good quality kit manufacture that offers a virgin bass drum??

Thank you all for everything I really appreciate it.

Pretty much every decent manufacturer offers virgin kicks, at least from the mid level lines on up

For the price range you want you can get a better deal if you:
1. Buy used or
2. Don't buy DW because the markup is high on their stuff. Check out the tama kits in your price range for example. Don't worry about sounding "similar to dw" , that stuff is mostly marketing bs. Nobody listens to a record and picks out the brand on sound alone. Tama blows dw out of the water IMO.

Buy a Performance kit... There is truley no comparison. PDP some people may call it a mid level kit, but it's not. The Performance is the semi-pro line for DW and they use the same shell as the collectors. The price point is lower than the Collectors because they're made in Indonesia and they've held back on the hardware. Call some of these big box retailers and pick up "B Stock" and you'll save a whackload. You're not gonna find a bunch of these for sale used... People are happy with them and they're not selling them. If you're looking for a killer kit for an incredible price, pick up a Motor City Renown kit... They're just as good as the performance, and a 5 pc with a matching snare and thrown is goin for $900.00 in the States. I've owned 3 Renown kits and I currently own a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute and the renowns we're not that far off... Good luck with your buy!

The Performance is the semi-pro line for DW and they use the same shell as the collectors. The price point is lower than the Collectors because they're made in Indonesia and they've held back on the hardware.

No. The shell is of the same quality, but exclusively configured for the model, and made in the USA. The Performance series is made entirely in the USA as of a couple years ago. Prior to that, they were made in the Mexican Fender plant it's first year before going "in-house". The new for 2013 "Design series" is made entirely in DW's Taiwan facility.

Thank you all for the replies, I really do listen to the experience out there. It's the best source of research information.

Back