the practice pad

Singles. lots and lots of singles. Doubles too, paradiddles, the works. Also, i love just jamming out to a song and making some cool licks up to go along with the music, whether im making a rock beat with my hands, or some weird crazy snare type solo. Practice pads ftw all day.

Heaps.

Warm ups. Rudiments/combinations and variations. Sticking patterns for grooves or fills. Technique based drills and just generally keeping my hands in shape. I'm forever noodling away on the pad when I can't play the kit.

Mostly just noodling. I’ve got practice pads all over the place, so if I’m on the phone or whatever I’ll just start subconsciously playing while chatting.

I like to learn drum corps. pieces ...they are great for the hands

things like

Flamnambulous
Shake Hands With Beef
Hero Lick
Villain Lick
10 Second Lick

also like to work through the solos from Pat Petrillos book Hands, Grooves and Fills

the Pablo Riepi book Snare Drum Technique Essential Exercises For Everyday Practice has great exercises for accent patterns and polyrhythms

along with lots of the Gary Chaffee sticking patterns

I would be glad to email you the transcripts of those corps. pieces if you are interested in a challenge that will work your hands like nothing you have done before

Flamnambulous is one of the most amazing pieces for your hands ever...in my opinion

it takes dedication to learn it but wakes up so many senses

also been recently enjoying doing a singles, doubles, paradiddles exercise ... .going through the table of time with 2 measures each of those stickings ... continuous

that one is as much for your brain as it is your hands

Singles, doubles, triples, quadruples, etc, paradiddles, flams, beats, parts, the works...
I want and should buy a bass-practice pad as well. It is on the wish list.

Anything I can think of + patterns that aren't yet internalized, end with conditioning and singles.

I usually practice rudiments on a pad. I think that comes from my school days. We were taught to use the practice pad instead of a drum to work extensively on rudiments. The pad is a cleaner sound, which helps you to clean up your individual issues.

I usually starts with paradiddles at a nice tempo for about 3-5 min. to slowly warm up my hands. I then work individual fingers in french, german, and traditional grip for 1 min each doing sixteenths notes at about 60 bpm ( mostly so I dont have to stare at a clock for 20 minutes). After that, I take a short break then come back and work out any hand technique issues I might be having. I also use it to noodle around as well when im not practicing.

I'm new to studying technique but Tommy Igoe's dvd and stick control have been great so far.

things like

Flamnambulous
Shake Hands With Beef
Hero Lick
Villain Lick
10 Second Lick

Shake Hands with Beef, yes!

Finding a good Eight on a Hand exercise would do you good. I'm currently marching so my daily work out consists of Legatos, an accent tap, triplet rolls, a paradiddle exercise, and a tap roll exercise.

things like

Flamnambulous
Shake Hands With Beef
Hero Lick
Villain Lick
10 Second Lick

I would be glad to email you the transcripts of those corps. pieces if you are interested in a challenge that will work your hands like nothing you have done before...

If the offer still stands I'd like to get my hands & mind busy for a while.
Thanx Gvd!

On the pad:
Stick Control
Accents and Rebounds
Moeller/Full stroke exercises

Chaffee stickings

I used to play rudimental solos on the pad, but I play them only on the snare now...

Back