Behold the 14x12 epic Gold monster snare

Evilbagua

Silver Member
Here is the story of this snare. I got it on CL for 50$ with a case. I didn't know anything other than it was a 14x12 marching snare. It turns out to be a 80's USA maple shell pearl with 12 lugs per head, in pretty good shape. The throw off was missing and it needed new heads. I took it to my local pro drum shop and we put on two Pearl Dennis Chambers throw offs. They fit without having to drill extra holes, and hey it looks cool now and I can adjust the tension on each side! I popped a weatherking as a reso and an evans ST on the batter and cranked them up, and then put a 40 strand puresound snare on it.

I play in a metal/grind/deathmetal band and I'm always looking for louder gear I think this will be very hard to top. It puts my 14x8 maple, 14x6 acrylic, and 13x7 Ludwig Black Magic to shame volume wise. This doesn't sound like a handgun it sounds like a 1940's World War 2 battle rifle going off. I managed to position it in almost the same spot I play my 14x8 in within about 1/3 of an inch in a dw9000 stand as low as it goes. I can't wait to play this monster live and make some ears bleed. I posted a crappy pic of the snare with my 13x7 ludwig BM on top for a size comparsion. I'm sure this is more than anyone needs in a normal situation, but it fits in really well with my 28" kick and 16' Z custom hats. Also don't laugh at the Aqua Marine poster in the jam spot! I swear there are super metal ones on the other walls.

Attachments

• 14x12pearl.jpg
    14x12pearl.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 561
Very cool. You'll need a short stand!

wow!! if yopu are going to use in a drum set , plese post a a video to see how it sound in the context of a drum set

wow!! if yopu are going to use in a drum set , plese post a a video to see how it sound in the context of a drum set

I plan to use this as my main snare on my kit. My kit wasn't set up since I just got back from a short tour, but I'll try and take a decent video when I get a chance.

Aquamarine! I loved that movie...not

Damn, 12 inches of depth!
And some people thought I was going too deep with 13 x 8" snares.
The main problem is finding a snare stand that can fit it wright. I guess you did!

I'd love to see blastbeats on this!

I think it sounds great for very fast blasts with the heads on very tight. I feel on a unmiced normal snare some faster blasts get lost in the mix live.I don't think I'll have that issue with this. I love the 8" depth, but if I ever get another giant snare I might try a 14x10 .I'm pretty tall, and had my 14x8 sort of high so I'm able to get it in just about the right spot with the dw stand as low as it can go. I can see the positioning being a big issue if someone likes the snare pretty low.

The way I have my snares loose, gravity rolls don't sound too good. They get really muddy easily.

But something with a very tight sound like a marching snare would be great for gravity rolls. I'm very interested to hear this with a kit.

Hope it sounds great!

Back