Slingerland Snare

• Thread starter Tommycanuhearme
  • Start date
T

Tommycanuhearme

Can anyone date this vintage Slingerland snare?
dcam0003.jpg

dcam0004.jpg

I know a little bit about Slingerland drums. A snapshot of the badge would be most telling though.

Assuming the finish is original it could be Sparkling Pink Champagne which would date it early 60's, 1960-63. It could also be Sparkling Champagne, Slingerland dropped "Pink" from the finish name, but the wrap still looked pink in hue in some lights. However, your drum sparkles a little more like a crushed glass finish so it could be Sparkling Pink Pearl late 50's to mid-to late 60's. Sparkling Pink Champagne was a sand finish and had a more uniform texture to the sparkle. It doesn't look dark enough to be like Smokey Sparkling Pearl which was a rare finish.

One thing that seems a bit odd to me is your drum's 3 point strainer. I don't think I have seen one that was affixed to the shell with four screws (unless I am blind and can't see the 5th and 6th), usually it was six screws (3 on each side) on the earlier models and 2 on the later models. Perhaps someone else could fill you in on this.

Also seeing a snapshot of the inside of the drum would be helpful. The presence of reinforcement rings is telling with Slingerlands as well and the make up of the shell (3-ply? maple, poplar, mahogany with maple rings? maple, poplar mahogany with Oak rings?) Slingerland had a lot of variations in their shells through the years.

I know a little bit about Slingerland drums. A snapshot of the badge would be most telling though.

Assuming the finish is original it could be Sparkling Pink Champagne which would date it early 60's, 1960-63. It could also be Sparkling Champagne, Slingerland dropped "Pink" from the finish name, but the wrap still looked pink in hue in some lights. However, your drum sparkles a little more like a crushed glass finish so it could be Sparkling Pink Pearl late 50's to mid-to late 60's. Sparkling Pink Champagne was a sand finish and had a more uniform texture to the sparkle. It doesn't look dark enough to be like Smokey Sparkling Pearl which was a rare finish.

One thing that seems a bit odd to me is your drum's 3 point strainer. I don't think I have seen one that was affixed to the shell with four screws (unless I am blind and can't see the 5th and 6th), usually it was six screws (3 on each side) on the earlier models and 2 on the later models. Perhaps someone else could fill you in on this.

Also seeing a snapshot of the inside of the drum would be helpful. The presence of reinforcement rings is telling with Slingerlands as well and the make up of the shell (3-ply? maple, poplar, mahogany with maple rings? maple, poplar mahogany with Oak rings?) Slingerland had a lot of variations in their shells through the years.

Here's a couple photo's of the interior.
dcam0018.jpg

dcam0019.jpg

Last edited:
Back