How to Write good metal/deathcore drum parts and breakdowns.

C

Christ-Hammer

Hey everyone my band is starting to take the path of heavy death music and I was curious to figure out how some of you metalheads write your breakdowns and how you structure your songs also when you track record how can you hear the track when you are recording with loud drums even though I have sound cancelling headphones I still have a hard time hearing the mix.

Here is an example of what we are starting to sound like, but not exactly.
This is my friends local band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOxHqDVCN4o&feature=PlayList&p=942EAC8C270D9D42&index=0&playnext=1

Sound cancelling headphones probably aren't good for recording. The are designed to block out stuff like engine and cabin noise from an airplane.

There are a couple of options that will work. Some in ear monitors... These are like earbuds that seal off your ear and reduce the overall db of your drums.

Another cheap option is to buy some shooting range earmuffs from a gun store and then use iPod style headphones inside them. But they might fall out of your ear with the headphones on.

Another option, probably the best option is to get headphones made for blocking out drum sounds. Something like metrophones.

As for breakdowns obviously you want to slow things down probably put alot of tribal tom beats in. Listen to lots of hardcore bands if you want good breakdown ideas.

Good drum parts? Aren't they supposed to be evil or at least bad?

GTFO! that's the third time I was forced to say that to anyone today, but once again I'm joking.

You do know absolutely nothing about this kind of music ;]

This band is sick man!

Oh, I forgot, I was supposed to give you advise! XD

Well, for creating original breakdowns, just try to think very far out of the box. Create the breakdown with odd timing and polyrythms to make it sound trippy, because after all, that IS the point (Y)

Polyrhythms in a breakdown? I have never heard that before, could you give me an example of a band that does it?

Best advice I can give is listen to the guitar parts. You can either match what they play for a heavy 'in sync' (not N'Sync!) feel, or offset yourself, to accent certain bits. For breakdowns, I would suggest that they are a primal aspect of a song where everything strips back before unleashing hell. I recommend keeping it simple. Polyrhythms are cool but I for one don't think breakdowns are the time or place. Good luck!

So you're basically asking "how do you write metal songs, specifically drums"?

That's hard to answer...

Just play drums with the metal band and try not to over think the whole gig

As for tracking I have the mix in headphones and can hear fine..Sounds like the recording conditions you're in are off...

Ignorance is bliss. ;]

I found this completely hilarious, Wavelength. I also thought your joke was funny. Bahaha.

I know next to nothing about this "brütal" music, so I'm just going to leave now.

I'm by no means any kind of expert on this style (or anything for that matter) but I'd recommend:

• Go into half time
  • Crash or China with your lead hand
  • Follow the guitar parts exactly with some grooving, broken-rhythm parts
  • Make sure you keep the back beat going

AeonApocalypse: Awesome, insightful answer man!

If theres a guitar part already, just try to match up and add to it and with it.
If not, tell them to write one (lol).

Breakdowns are gay. You do realize this is a passing trend, no one will be listening to this in five years.

Well, breakdowns as a whole won't. The grind/deathcore probably will, but 10 years from now bands will be still using some form of a breakdown.
It adds more to a song, but not when theres 3 of them in a song and thats why the bands famous. Your statement is true, in a sense.

If you ment metal is a passing fad, thats what people said in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.
Metal never was a fad, in a sense. Most of the time it's an underground with diehard fans.

Most of the time it's an underground with diehard fans.

Exactly, none of the bands I listen to are well known what so ever. They seem like it because I hang out with kids that listen to those bands, but you ask a random stranger who August Burns Red is, I can almost garuntee they haven't heard of them. It's not a fad.

Speaking of August Burns Red, they are a great example of poly-rythm riffs.

Back