ever hallucinate and not know why?

resohead

Silver Member
about 8 weeks ago i went to bed and i was almost asleep the hallucination started. (they are called hypnagogic hallucinations. the first one was worse. these all start when you are right on the edge of sleep. every where around you changes immediately.
i hear a man very slowly coming up the stairs. i knew when he was almost to my room. i looked out under the blanket and he filled up the doorway and he had eyes like he was dead. i would have prayed but it's hard to when you're s******* bricks. i had no doubt that i was going to meet my maker.
then he was gone. i waited 30 minutes then ran everywhere turning on lights. then grabbed my only weapon, a cymbal stand.
30% of the planet are said to have these at one time or another.
i posted on a forum what happened and a friend said i had these hallucinations and she had them for 7 years. one was so bad she didn't sleep for 7 nights. people with mental illness are more likely to have them but it's not a requirement.
i was having them every night but i won't try to list them here. they are also tactile, they can touch you. i've gone many nights with no sleep afraid of what was next. every night i get them but they are less intense, so far. a fork hitting the floor, an unknown sound, a guy whistling right around the corner. a rubber ball bouncing in the kitchen. i decided it best not to go see what was bouncing it.
edgar allen poe had them and called them his fancies. einstein had them too.
no cure.
anyone can get them at anytime.if you can imagine it chances are someone has had it. i still sleep with the lights on.
the morning version of these are called hynapompic and are ofter made worse by sleep paralysis.

Geez, I had a similar experience a few nights ago (not a hallucination, more of a "Freddy Kreuger" moment where you're dreaming the exact physical location we're you're sleeping).
Heard the front door open, footsteps padding across the floor, then my bedroom door opening to reveal a "ghostly presence" (think of a black, amorphous shape with no definition) which then proceeded to float around to the side of the bed at which point I woke up (to a sigh of relief).
Fortunately I'm mostly a lucid dreamer so wasn't quite as freaked out as yourself (probably should have done a quick "house check" but too tired)!

The semi conscious mind is is an unpredictable thing. We all have similar events in our personal Twilight Zone.
Most of us are not willing to share such occurrences for fear of reprisal from those who would make mock.
Even those who mock know from their own experiences that a dream state exists in all of us.
I don't personally believe that we are ever truly conscious. I believe that we live in a world that is both real and imagined.
In other words, we all have our own perception of reality vs imagined events.

I did have two about a year before but didn't that much it.

my bro had died two years earlier. he was standing at the end of my bed and said 'phil'. normal tone of voice. it was my brother, no fear.

there are lots of stories out there. i had never heard of these. i think that people with narcolepsy have them the most. a lot of kids get night terrors combined with sleep paralysis. scared but can't move.

i'm giving myself the creeps.

There's a very important detail missing from the original post:

The cymbal stand: double braced or single?

Trippy stuff, Reso.

When I got back from overseas I was exhausted and came to home hoping to see a fully renovated bathroom. Instead there were four bare walls and a guy cutting tiles at a million decibels. Apparently there were deeper plumbing issues that held everything up. Welcome home.

So I retreat to the bedroom and decide I need a sleep, even if the cement cutter was ripping my ears out. So I grabbed my synthetic pot (which had been bought legally until the thought police outlawed it) had a smoke, and lay down. I closed my eyes and was transported to an alien planet with a strange rusted metal structure so real and 3D that I felt I could touch it as it stood on an alien desert of howling winds.

I could open my eyes and see it again (which was super cool) and every time the cement cutter went it was like a flash of white light ripping through the scene.

It lasted about 15 minutes or more. Not sure. After "coming to" I noticed that the rusted structure was a visual adaptation of the portable bathroom drawers placed temporarily in my bedroom, and the bare desert was the wall behind the drawer unit. Yet my eyes were closed, so it seems that the image imprinted on my eyes just before I closed them and then the exhaustion and synthetic weed did the rest.

Check out that Brain Games program for more examples of weird things that we see that are not there.

yeah thanks, braced. i was going to beat that dead guy.

Trippy stuff, Reso.

When I got back from overseas I was exhausted and came to home hoping to see a fully renovated bathroom. Instead there were four bare walls and a guy cutting tiles at a million decibels. Apparently there were deeper plumbing issues that held everything up. Welcome home.

So I retreat to the bedroom and decide I need a sleep, even if the cement cutter was ripping my ears out. So I grabbed my synthetic pot (which had been bought legally until the thought police outlawed it) had a smoke, and lay down. I closed my eyes and was transported to an alien planet with a strange rusted metal structure so real and 3D that I felt I could touch it as it stood on an alien desert of howling winds.

I could open my eyes and see it again (which was super cool) and every time the cement cutter went it was like a flash of white light ripping through the scene.

It lasted about 15 minutes or more. Not sure. After "coming to" I noticed that the rusted structure was a visual adaptation of the portable bathroom drawers placed temporarily in my bedroom, and the bare desert was the wall behind the drawer unit. Yet my eyes were closed, so it seems that the image imprinted on my eyes just before I closed them and then the exhaustion and synthetic weed did the rest.

Check out that Brain Games program for more examples of weird things that we see that are not there.

interesting. i'll check it out.

I closed my eyes and was transported to an alien planet with a strange rusted metal structure so real and 3D that I felt I could touch it as it stood on an alien desert of howling winds.

That's a great example of visual stimuli affecting dream states (not to mention synthetic narcotics) ; )
I have an auditory example: After working night-shift followed by a 6 hour drive home I fell asleep in front of the stereo where my considerate friend decided to blast some Pearl Jam.
I was so out of it I remained asleep for a good 5 minutes- dreaming that I was attending (you guessed it) a Pearl Jam concert (not much choice in the matter really).

Geez, I had a similar experience a few nights ago (not a hallucination, more of a "Freddy Kreuger" moment where you're dreaming the exact physical location we're you're sleeping).

I once had a Freddy Gruber moment, where he was yelling at me about my technique.

A few of you will get this. :)

it's midnight can't sleep but i got close enough. bam!! sounded like a big box full of breakable stuff hit the ground.
i used to stay in bed and hope i didn't see anything. now i run directly at whatever i heard. cussing profusely. i don't realize that i'm chasing my brain. i had a hard time sorting that out.
that was the loudest thing to come along in weeks.
next....

Trippy stuff, Reso.

Synthetic weed? That makes me sad. :( It might as well be illegal. That stuff is really, really bad for you from what I hear.

I haven't had any hallucinations myself. Why do they always have to be bad? Why are they always a nightmare? Why is it always a demon possessed soul? Why not a Playboy bunny chasing me with a bottle of Jameson? Or an Italian Chef around the corner with a plateful of spaghetti and a pizza?

Once when I was a kid I had a cold and fever. I was laying in my bed and at the foot of the bed, standing on one of the posts, was a tiny little man just a few inches high. He began throwing pins at me, like a javelin. As they would get closer to me they would scale up in size so that they were several feet long. There were hundreds of them going by, some right through me like ghosts. This lasted for several seconds and then it all disappeared.

We are our brain chemistry.

I remember having the same sort of dream often when I was a little guy - like 6 years old little. It happened as I was falling asleep and it is very hard to explain - but I felt the presence of - for lack of a better word - a peaceful large piece of gently pulsating matter. Its glow was like the little circles you see if you put pressure on your eye lids - and its presence was very reassuring. Weird. They went away as I got older and never came back.

MM

Visual and auditory hallucinations are common with this. Seeing patters or lights like Anon described too or hearing things. I had sleep paralysis where it felt like I was awake and could hear as I lay on in couch in Atlanta, Ga. but couldn't move-I also sensed someone else in the room-but I couldn't move to react. It was terrifying because it seems you are super aware of all senses except sight and couldn't move a muscle.

again sorry for the long posts.

GetAgrippa..i haven't played video games but they said that people get something called the tetris effect if they play a lot. they will see patterns.
pretty much what you said. many people see spiders.

great input here and i'd like to know how many of us have auditory hallucinations. (i feel i'm going to be the town nutter here)

i think for maybe ten years, way before what i have now, i was having auditory hallucinations. i did some research and found that the might be caused by hearing loss.

i hear music or a male announcer voice and it sounds like it's about 20' away. ok, i hear it but i don't. i can't make out the music but it kind of sounds like a brass band. the announcer talks non-stop but i can't make out the words.

i told my doctor about it and he scribbled on his pad. so, i found a website and the people described what i was hearing to a T. tinnitus--hearing loss. i didn't tell my doc for 8 years because i wasn't worried about it.

hypnagogic website. 14 year old girl posts. she said i was standing with my back to the wall facing the bedroom door. she looks up and her mother is standing in the doorway wearing a white nightgown and said she doesn't have a white nightgown. she said my mother was looking down but could still see me(freak out!). the girl glanced down and her mother was holding a butcher knife with blood dripping off of it. i think it may have ended there.

it's great to get feedback on this stuff and midnite i don't know why they are always bad.

one more hypnagogic. this didn't scare me. first there was a small dog barking by my bed. then on the wall on the other side of the bed an 'opera singer' nailed to the wall and she sang one note. by that time i'm locking my bedroom door. i look up and a guy walks through the door, through.

thanks to everyone for the input. i hope there's more.

If there was an hallucinogenic man in my room,I'd hallucinate a Glock 9mm,and bust a few imaginary caps up his imaginary ass.Sorted.To calm my nerves,I'd then watch a re-run or two of "Battlestar Galactica",and go to sleep dreaming of a four way with Boomer, Starbuck and number 6.:)

Steve B

If there was an hallucinogenic man in my room,I'd hallucinate a Glock 9mm,and bust a few imaginary caps up his imaginary ass.Sorted.To calm my nerves,I'd then watch a re-run or two of "Battlestar Galactica",and go to sleep dreaming of a four way with Boomer, Starbuck and number 6.:)

Steve B

whatever works. like i said earlier, you will end up with bullet holes(imaginary) in the wall. it's in your mind and not 'out there.' since it's a hallucination you really don't always know 'where you're at' or what you're dealing with. i wish i'd never heard of this.

Back