Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Sounds good. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting those hats. From what I have heard, they sound ridiculously amazing and they look cool too! The ride and dark crash should pair up nicely as well. All in all, I feel that those cymbals will be perfect!

Sounds good. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting those hats. From what I have heard, they sound ridiculously amazing and they look cool too! The ride and dark crash should pair up nicely as well. All in all, I feel that those cymbals will be perfect!

A percussionist/drummer friend of mine has 15" Sultan hats. They sound amazing.

I'm building up a new jazz kit from the ground up. I'm looking for two things:

1: a way to get some top notch cymbals (hats and a ride) at the best bang-for-buck
2: a ride that is very versatile, providing a definitive sound with nice wash and a nice crashability (for a ride) for use in acoustic jazz.

Does Agop fit both of these categories? If so, what models/sizes should I specifically be looking for? So far, I've the closest I've come is 20" Zildjian K Customs of various sorts...but I'd like to find something a little more affordable (and maybe something I can find used).

Thanks!

I'm building up a new jazz kit from the ground up. I'm looking for two things:

1: a way to get some top notch cymbals (hats and a ride) at the best bang-for-buck
2: a ride that is very versatile, providing a definitive sound with nice wash and a nice crashability (for a ride) for use in acoustic jazz.

Does Agop fit both of these categories? If so, what models/sizes should I specifically be looking for? So far, I've the closest I've come is 20" Zildjian K Customs of various sorts...but I'd like to find something a little more affordable (and maybe something I can find used).

Thanks!

Lots to choose from from Agop to fit the bill.

Check over the extensive sound files at CymbalsOnly.com, The Cymbal Shop and Heartbeat Percussion in regards to various Istanbul Agop rides suited for jazz and see what tickles your fancy :}

http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/agop/agop.htm

http://www.thecymbalshop.com/shop/home.php

http://www.heartbeatpercussion.com/cymbals/index.html

Got my Mel Lewis Ride for Christmas

I really like this cymbal - the two rivets are just the right amount of sizzle for me.

It's heavy enough to have great warmth and it has some nice ring to it too and the wash is not overwhelming for me. I'm very happy with it.

ISTANBUL AGOP Mel Lewis 21" Signature Ride with two rivets.

Attachments

• MEL LEWIS 21 RIDE (Medium).jpg
    MEL LEWIS 21 RIDE (Medium).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,237
Re: Got my Mel Lewis Ride for Christmas

I really like this cymbal - the two rivets are just the right amount of sizzle for me.

It's heavy enough to have great warmth and it has some nice ring to it too and the wash is not overwhelming for me. I'm very happy with it.

ISTANBUL AGOP Mel Lewis 21" Signature Ride with two rivets.

Awesome Kona!

Love my 21" Mel Lewis 2 rivet ride too. Enjoy!

20" Traditional Sizzle ride [6 rivets} 2175g

front and back:

Attachments

• 20 Traditional Sizzle {front} 2175g.jpg
    20 Traditional Sizzle {front} 2175g.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,604
  • 20 Traditional Sizzle {back} 2175g.jpg
    20 Traditional Sizzle {back} 2175g.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,324
Last edited:
13" Mel Lewis 1982 high hats

top-740 bottom-770g

front and back shots:

Attachments

• 13 Mel Lewis 1982 {front} 740g 770g.jpg
    13 Mel Lewis 1982 {front} 740g 770g.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 13 Mel Lewis 1982 {back} 740g 770g.jpg
    13 Mel Lewis 1982 {back} 740g 770g.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,241
Last edited:
Just curious - why do the ML 13" hats come in two weights?

The top is just slightly lighter than the bottom on this particular 13" ML 1982 pair Kona. Makes for a dandy combo of a crisp foot chip { little heavier bottom} and splashy airy wash { lighter top} that certainly delivers the rich sounding HH goods.

The top is just slightly lighter than the bottom on this particular 13" ML 1982 pair Kona. Makes for a dandy combo of a crisp foot chip { little heavier bottom} and splashy airy wash { lighter top} that certainly delivers the rich sounding HH goods.

Sorry - I misinterpreted..........I thought the photo (4 cymbals) were two different sets of hats (one set of two at 740g and another set of hats at 770g). Ya - I know the one set is different top and bottom - of course. Mine are different weights too. My mistake........not paying attention.

Have you ever tried a 10" bell (Alchemy for instance) top hat and a 10" splash on the bottom? It makes for a really interesting sounding mini hat combination.

I want to go over to Heartbeat one of these days and try some.

Sorry - I misinterpreted..........I thought the photo (4 cymbals) were two different sets of hats (one set of two at 740g and another set of hats at 770g). Ya - I know the one set is different top and bottom - of course. Mine are different weights too. My mistake........not paying attention.

Have you ever tried a 10" bell (Alchemy for instance) top hat and a 10" splash on the bottom? It makes for a really interesting sounding mini hat combination.

I want to go over to Heartbeat one of these days and try some.

You have the 14" Mels right Kona? Those will sound sweet too. Haven't tried that combo but a buddy bought a Sizzle bell that kills.

Hey wait to see what new goodies Heartbeat has coming in after NAMM for your next visit Kona :}

You have the 14" Mels right Kona? Those will sound sweet too. Haven't tried that combo but a buddy bought a Sizzle bell that kills.

Hey wait to see what new goodies Heartbeat has coming in after NAMM for your next visit Kona :}

Yes - I have the 14" Mels and I do like them.
I think a 10" Sizzle Bell with a 10" splash (bottom) would be interesting.

My Alchemy Bell gave the hat a "deadly" high pitched ring (with fast choking) that was a very nice effect on some up-tempo latin/jazz rhythms. Just playing around with it is a lot of fun.........Can't have too many cymbals around. I just love these Istanbul cymbals. Actually, I haven't heard too many cymbals over the years that I really didn't like - except maybe the "metal-cut-outs" I had with my first kit in 1965. But - they're probably "collectible" now as I'm sure those old Japanese drums from back then are too.

22" SE TW 2470g

Front, back and profile :

Attachments

• 22 SE TW profile.jpg
    22 SE TW profile.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,612
  • 22 SE TW 2470g {back}.jpg
    22 SE TW 2470g {back}.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 22 SE TW 2470g {front}.jpg
    22 SE TW 2470g {front}.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,562
Great new photo from the factory showing the traditional hand shaping and hammering of a Turkish pie courtesy Istanbul Agop USA

Attachments

• Agop factory photo.jpg
    Agop factory photo.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,507
Stan, that`s one of the most beautiful Agop photos I`ve seen so far.
They simply represent a very individual kind of cymbal maker...pure art!

It`s simply incredible, I`m really excited about their new lines and signature pies, especially about the Matt Chamberlain ride. =)

Thanks a lot for sharing the photo!

Karl

Stan, that`s one of the most beautiful Agop photos I`ve seen so far.
They simply represent a very individual kind of cymbal maker...pure art!

It`s simply incredible, I`m really excited about their new lines and signature pies, especially about the Matt Chamberlain ride. =)

Thanks a lot for sharing the photo!

Karl

Your welcome Karl and thank Agop USA for this recent factory pic.

20" SE Jazz Ride 1805g

Front and back:

Attachments

• 20 SE Jazz ride 1805g {front}.jpg
    20 SE Jazz ride 1805g {front}.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,267
  • 20 SE Jazz ride 1805g {back}.jpg
    20 SE Jazz ride 1805g {back}.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,739
Back