Yamaha Drums

Updated pic of my stage customs :D

yscnewhead.jpg

Hey guys, can anyone tell me the difference between gigmakers and stage customs?

Hey guys, can anyone tell me the difference between gigmakers and stage customs?

Gigmakers are more of a beginner kit, whereas the stage customs are intermediate to semi-pro...gigmakers have basswood/poplar shells, stage customs are 100% birch (latest series), also stage custom hardware is better as well...

Yamaha USA site gives a pretty good rundown on it. Like SW says, start with the different wood types.
Some hardware specifics - the mount bracket on the bass drum is different as is the piece that goes into the bass drum to hold the toms - the ball mounts look the same though.

Most lugs look similar, as do the rims - not sure about that though. The Gigmaker has old style butterfly bass drum claws.
The floor tom brackets and screws are different. Bass drum spur brackets are different.
Snare definitely has different lugs - not sure about the rest of it.
Gigmakers are wrapped sparkle finish. Stage is transparent stain or lacquer - IDK, except that you can clearly see the wood grain.
Tom mounts on the Gigmaker are attached directly to the shell, for through the shell long shafts, while Stage Customs use the YESS type mounts for the short shafts.

About the only thing the same is that they both say Yamaha on them, although the badges are different.

The Gigmaker would be OK as a first set, a practice set, a wrapped set for gigs where you might expect them to get banged up, or for someone who wants new drums and has a low budget or a preference for something specific about them.
IMO, the differences are well worth the minimal difference in price to get the Stage Customs, and pretty apparent when you see them both together.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice the new stage customs in the raven finish look green? At first i was just happy to have a extremely decent kit, that's 100% birch, sounds great at an affordable price. But now i just feel like an asshole for settling for a kit that should be black that is clearly green.

Edit i made another separate thread about it, I will try to delete that and we can just discuss this here.

Anyone else notice the new stage customs in the raven finish look green? At first i was just happy to have a extremely decent kit, that's 100% birch, sounds great at an affordable price. But now i just feel like an asshole for settling for a kit that should be black that is clearly green.

Edit i made another separate thread about it, I will try to delete that and we can just discuss this here.

Not to be snide, but have you ever seen a raven's feathers? They're definitely black, but they have a distinct blue-green undertone to them. I just checked out a kit like yours on Ebay. It's black, it's just not jet black.

It's a nice finish. It will get you noticed.

Incidentally, Yamaha's Piano Black that was offered for the Recording Customs and Tour Customs back in the day may be the classiest finish ever for a drum. My opinion of course.

These are my so call Raven Black. They are no where near black. I am absolutely disgusted over this. Yamaha called me back saying its because the birch has a yellow tint to it so thats why they look greenish. The worst part is now they offer a flat black. The drums are amazing for the price, sound great, build and finish is great. But its the wrong damn color. Makes me soooooo aggravated when i look at them now. I spent weeks looking for the perfect kit for my budget, I was sooo excited to get them. Huge disappointment,

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 2,533
Hey guys and gals -
Has anyone out there ever replaced the 1.6mm hoops on a Recording Custom kit - and if yes, what were the results/details of that?

I have an older pre-YESS RC kit in Quartz Grey and I'm considering swapping out the 1.6mm hoops with some 2.3mm hoops. Might even do black nickel because I think it would look good with the grey and the chrome RC lugs.

I'm thinking of swapping out my hoops for aluminum die cast, but they're very expensive.

I actually have a set of the 2.3 hoops I could try, but I just don't care much for triple flange hoops. What sizes are your toms? Maybe I can sell you some hoops.

I have 2 RC kits. I put die casts on one of them, just to try something different. Its a Gadd set-up with hanging floor toms. I bought the 10" hoops first to see if I Iiked it before I commited to an entire set. I also reheaded the whole set with Black Suede Emperors (over clear Ambassadors). I like the combination very much. Made the toms even more focused than they already were. My 14x12 tom is real beefy in this config and the 10 and 12 just sing. The 16x14 is much more to my liking with this set-up.

I would recommend doing what I did since the die casts are costly. Try 1 drum first and see how you like it.

I just got my Musashi Black 7x8 add on rack tom for my Oak Customs. They said it would be 4 months and it only took a little over a month to get.

So now my set up is 8, 10, 12(rack) 14, 16(floor) 22(bass). Everything is still brand new in the box....including a 3 side/leg Hex Rack that I ordered.Next Ill be putting new heads on and ordering all new A Customs. I'm not even going to set up the kit until I have everything ready to go. I'll take pics..

Right now I'm practicing and gigging with my Beech Customs.

I just got my Musashi Black 7x8 add on rack tom for my Oak Customs. They said it would be 4 months and it only took a little over a month to get.

So now my set up is 8, 10, 12(rack) 14, 16(floor) 22(bass). Everything is still brand new in the box....including a 3 side/leg Hex Rack that I ordered.Next Ill be putting new heads on and ordering all new A Customs. I'm not even going to set up the kit until I have everything ready to go. I'll take pics..

Right now I'm practicing and gigging with my Beech Customs.

Nice! I have been after a set of beech custom/absolutes for years, and every time one shows up locally, some one flakes, or someone buys it from under me.

I'm thinking of swapping out my hoops for aluminum die cast, but they're very expensive.

I actually have a set of the 2.3 hoops I could try, but I just don't care much for triple flange hoops. What sizes are your toms? Maybe I can sell you some hoops.

Too late, DW 3.0mm Black Nickel True Hoops already installed. I think it's a great match! 12 x 8 and 14 x 14

Attachments

• RCblackhoops.JPG
    RCblackhoops.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 2,436
Last edited:
Nice! I have been after a set of beech custom/absolutes for years, and every time one shows up locally, some one flakes, or someone buys it from under me.

I absolutely love my Beech customs. I get compliments from sound guys everywhere I play...whether its in the studio or live. They have a nice warm sound but they still really cut thru. I got lucky and found a church that was switching to an e-kit and wanted to sell their acoustic set that was in perfect condition. I got it super cheap. It came with 8,10,12,14 rack toms and 14,16 floor toms. I don't even use 2 of the toms.

If I decide to sell them Ill let you know. It depends on how much I like the new Oaks.

Its pretty much identical to this kit...without the snare.

GG__JUL11-01.jpg

I absolutely love my Beech customs. I get compliments from sound guys everywhere I play...whether its in the studio or live. They have a nice warm sound but they still really cut thru. I got lucky and found a church that was switching to an e-kit and wanted to sell their acoustic set that was in perfect condition. I got it super cheap. It came with 8,10,12,14 rack toms and 14,16 floor toms. I don't even use 2 of the toms.

If I decide to sell them Ill let you know. It depends on how much I like the new Oaks.

Its pretty much identical to this kit...without the snare.

GG__JUL11-01.jpg

Those are beauties! Nice score, I just picked up some oaks myself, gonna put them through the ringer tomorrow, I'm stoked.

Copy and paste from another board:

From Dave's Drum Shop in Ottawa, Canada:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yamaha Discontinue long running Drum lines.

The FINAL date for ordering these drums is June 28th 2013. There will be no exceptions after that.

Maple Custom Absolute
Birch Custom Absolute
Club Custom
Oak Custom
Recording Custom
Sub-kick
All Concept Series Snare Drums
All Wedges
All Snare Wires

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PHX is staying in Yamaha Japan Facility , all new lines to build up from the new Yamaha facility in China, with the very early beginnings of Live Custom.

PHX is staying in Yamaha Japan Facility , all new lines to build up from the new Yamaha facility in China, with the very early beginnings of Live Custom.

Glad the PHX is still going to be made...and in Japan as well..sucks about the other lines going away..:(...guess I better hang onto my MCA's & BCA's...

Back