Snare wires?

ddrum_daz

I'm looking to get a fat/dry sound out of my maple snare drum, however its only 5.5" deep and I know it helps to have a deeper snare drum for this sound. I was looking at 42 strand snare wires and some say that they work for deep shells like 6.5" or 8", so I'm stuck on what number of snare wires I should use.

Heres the sound I'm looking for (something like this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNunjWeoPwY&feature=relmfu

A 42 strand snare, I would not term that as dry. It yields more snare tone than shell tone to my ear. The sound on the video...is not that hard of a sound to get, it's kinda standard. You do need a 6.5" deep drum for that voice though. I'd stick with regular 20 strand snare wires, and a 2 ply coated head with a deeper tuning on your 5" deep drum if you can't get your hands on a 6.5 deep metal drum.

A 42 strand snare, I would not term that as dry. It yields more snare tone than shell tone to my ear. The sound on the video...is not that hard of a sound to get, it's kinda standard. You do need a 6.5" deep drum for that voice though. I'd stick with regular 20 strand snare wires, and a 2 ply coated head with a deeper tuning on your 5" deep drum if you can't get your hands on a 6.5 deep metal drum.

Ok thanks. At the moment I have the 16 strand stock snares which give it more of a 'poppy' sound, and an Evans ST Dry head on top. Resonant is stock

Last edited:
I just tried a 42 strand on my 6.5 x 14 and I could not get the outside strands to stop buzzing no matter how tight I cranked it. Needless to say I put the 20 back on.

I bought a 42-strand last year, and it sounds great on my 6.5x14 Supra. The snare side is tuned quite tightly, the batter side is much looser. It sounds really nice and fat, with the perfect amount of snare sensitivity, a perfect amount of sizzle, and a sweet helping of fatness.

Back