How do people get such big kits?

Both my kids do hay in the area. Even I do hay in the summer. It helps fund my decease. You must have lots of farms around. You can also muck animal stalls.

I worked on a farm at age 12. Even if you live in the middle of nowhere, there's still usually casual work you can pick up. I used to wash cars, do gardening, dog walking, just about anything to earn a crust. I bought my first "kit" aged 16, and it was made up of different pieces of good quality gear that needed repair and/or refinishing. That way, I got a good sound for the small sums of money I had earned.

I wish I could do that, but I'm on a massive main road, so there's tonnes of traffic but no one ever really stops for something like that, there is a farm opposite my house, but I know the person there isn't a nice guy and even if I get work from him, it would be a horrible pay for doing something not worth it.

At the moment I'm doing work on the internet earning about £20ish a month, but I have to pay about £30 a month to get to where I practice in a band, maybe if the band were to play some gigs I could get the money, but we've only just started and it'll take a while to learn some songs together.

I used to beat up kids at school and take their lunch money.
That worked pretty well for a while :)

Did someone say big kits!

1109.jpg

I didn't get this until I was 45.

I knew that if I came into this thread I would see a familiar face... :))

This is what I had at your age. I milk carton for a stool. I made maple tom holders in woodshop for my concert toms, and a bunch of Rogers that did not match from when they went out of business. I covered them with black fir because it was cheap, and felt good when you played in your underwear. Oops. Scratch that. :/ Look at that nasty little Stewart snare in there. I still have that for some reason.

scan0005.jpg

It doesn't always happen over night.

Well, not really..

I know quite a lot of people who live pretty large, and never made any money.. They just use someone else's. ;)

Ahh, good point, my friend! ;)

As a side note, geez some of you guys crack me up...

Wow, this is insane, I meant big as in like 10-15 cymbals and maybe 10-12 drums, this is just incredible. My kit is just 5 piece with 3 cymbals.
So you have 1 drum & 1 cymbal more than you really need then ;) Also, I'll let you into a secret, Sticks can't reach half the stuff on his kit. In fact, some of it's so far away, he doesn't even know what it sounds like. The reason he went for Saturn gear, is he thought it would be the best gear to allow extra toms & cymbals to orbit his core kit ;) ;) ;)

So you have 1 drum & 1 cymbal more than you really need then ;) Also, I'll let you into a secret, Sticks can't reach half the stuff on his kit. In fact, some of it's so far away, he doesn't even know what it sounds like. The reason he went for Saturn gear, is he thought it would be the best gear to alow extra toms & cymbals to orbit his core kit ;) ;) ;)
I like my kit because even if I miss something, I still hit something! :p

Well, I've only got one picture of my kit, that's when I was playing it, the skins are pretty horrible and the cymbal stand closest to the camera is broken.

NbJVBj.jpg

I wish I could do that, but I'm on a massive main road, so there's tonnes of traffic but no one ever really stops for something like that, there is a farm opposite my house, but I know the person there isn't a nice guy and even if I get work from him, it would be a horrible pay for doing something not worth it.

Maybe you can do some sign spinning. Lots of people around here stand on the side of the road at major intersections twirling an advertisement sign for a business. You can talk to some owners around there like furniture stores or restaurants and maybe get some funds that way. I'm not sure if the weather there will allow it to be a profitable venture, but it's better than nothing. I may have to do that myself here pretty soon if I don't find a steady job. ha ha (that was a nervous laugh btw).

Hey KIS! What do you think of those Maple tom holders. Not bad for a 15 year old. :)

Well, I've only got one picture of my kit, that's when I was playing it, the skins are pretty horrible and the cymbal stand closest to the camera is broken.

NbJVBj.jpg
If you just bought heads, your kit would probably sound 10 times better. Please don't tape the new ones.

If you just bought heads, your kit would probably sound 10 times better. Please don't tape the new ones.

I didn't tape them, it was my brother when he had it, the heads haven't been changed for probably about 2 years, I can't afford any at the moment, and I never really thought I needed them until I realised a few weeks ago.

I didn't tape them, it was my brother when he had it, the heads haven't been changed for probably about 2 years, I can't afford any at the moment, and I never really thought I needed them until I realised a few weeks ago.

Ya, you need them. You will be amazed at how good your kit will sound!

This thread is totally hilarious

Back