The ''Right'' Way To Set Up Your Kit

Re: What annoys you on peoples drum sets?

There oughta be a law against people putting duct tape on their drums, cymbals or hardware. It instantly makes any kit look cheap and ugly.

I could see, however, in some settings, it would be appropriate, like a hardcore punk player with a trashed kit.

There oughta be a law against people putting duct tape on their drums, cymbals or hardware. It instantly makes any kit look cheap and ugly.

I could see, however, in some settings, it would be appropriate, like a hardcore punk player with a trashed kit.

Wrong, even punk players give more respect to their drum kits!!

No duct tape on cymbals? Then you should go and talk to most of the jazz World, who do, in fact, tape the bottom of their cymbals to reduce the wash and increase some of the stick definition. It's often hard to find a cymbal that plays how you want it to and has the right tone AND wash. As a result, often players will find a thinner cymbal that plays how they like it to, has the inherent tone that they desire, but is often too thin. As a result, you tape the underside to varying degrees. I do it, I know Andrew (TheDuke86) does it, I know OZjazzer does it, I know that Jazzgregg has done it in the past as well as FinnHiggins, LDGuy and numerous other esteemed players on this forum (myself, of course, not included in the 'esteemed' category). It's simply a method of 'tuning' a cymbal. A lot of cymbal players have very esoteric tastes that simply cannot be catered for without some customisation, and this is the case and argument for tape. As for aesthetics? To Hell with aesthetics; it's all about the sound.

No duct tape on cymbals? Then you should go and talk to most of the jazz World, who do, in fact, tape the bottom of their cymbals to reduce the wash and increase some of the stick definition. It's often hard to find a cymbal that plays how you want it to and has the right tone AND wash. As a result, often players will find a thinner cymbal that plays how they like it to, has the inherent tone that they desire, but is often too thin. As a result, you tape the underside to varying degrees. I do it, I know Andrew (TheDuke86) does it, I know OZjazzer does it, I know that Jazzgregg has done it in the past as well as FinnHiggins, LDGuy and numerous other esteemed players on this forum (myself, of course, not included in the 'esteemed' category). It's simply a method of 'tuning' a cymbal. A lot of cymbal players have very esoteric tastes that simply cannot be catered for without some customisation, and this is the case and argument for tape. As for aesthetics? To Hell with aesthetics; it's all about the sound.

Very well put. I couldn't imagine playing my 22" Zildjian Earth Ride without tape on the bottom. I have about a 6 inch strip under there and it still has tons of ring to it.

I'm a left handed drummer...

I hate all right handed kits!

Arty Z

I'm a left handed drummer...

I hate all right handed kits!

Arty Z

Like you, I am a left handed drummer. I get annoyed when I can't sit in on a right handed kit.
My annoyance is with me, though, not with the righty or his kit.

D U S T ! ! ! I hate dust on drums. Especially nice drums. It's disrespectful to your gear.

No, that would be the "DW worth the cash?" and related threads threads.

I do think it's a little funny sometimes when a kit is set so that it's ergonomics seem to make it uncomfortable and awkward to play. Howeer everyone is differnent, so it may work for them.

or maybe, "Iron Cobra vs DW 5000" or "Best Double Bass Pedal"

I hate the way air drums are set up.

Extremely cracked cymbals.
Torn front bass heads
Cymbals clamped down tight
Tape
Boom stands with all the vertical tubes at full extend and the boom totally choked up.
Stupid tom angles
Drummers who forget a rug and let their bass creep through the whole gig.
Drummers sitting on anything besides a drum throne. (unless they're in a wheelchair)
Poorly tuned snare drums.

I agree that cymbal sound control is important. But this is 2007 and surely there are better ways to achieve it than duct tape. Maybe it's not so bad when it's out of sight, but it just makes a set look cheap and ugly. I know Gibraltar makes small precut dense foam pads and I use those on my snare. There's also Velcro, at least it's a step up from duct tape.

Aesthetics are an important part of a the music for me and many others. Nice Tamburos you got there, by the way. Beautiful drums.

hopefully a cymbal company will read this. it would be great if they made clear patches for cymbals.

i supposed you could use clear box tape but i don't think the adhesive is strong enough. if we could get clear gaffer tape, that would be cool.

isn't there a stretchy spandex band that goes around the edge of a cymbal? i think i saw a pic somewhere.

j

It irritates me when I see someone with his cymbals so high, he has to look up to see where they are before he hits them... LoL what's the point?
Most of the people here hate weird tom angles. It often happens that a newbie posts pics of his kit; every one shouts "Tom Angles!!!", and the newbie doesn't even know what's wrong with them.

I think it's almost a tradition here on Drummerworld...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "TOM ANGLES!!!"

tert.jpg
GOLD! LOL

i remember playing a guys kit at a gig and the tension rods didnt have the washers so when i was hitting the skins the heads would be bouncing out over the tension rods, was funny, think i ruined the guys hoops, wasnt that funny now that i think bout it cos spent the night putting washers on his kit for him, tut tut :)

These things bug me the most:

- Poorly-tuned snare drums,
- Extremely low-lying drum thrones (because I'm quite short),
- Strange angles for rack toms,
- Tape and etc. stuck onto drumskins,
- 'Moisturized' drumskins.

Two things that annoy me:

When the logos on the heads aren't facing the right way. Maybe that's just an extension of my "the cd's must be right side up in the jewel case" type OCD.

When cymbals are hitting other cymbals or drums when they're hit, or even worse, when they're just sitting still. No reason, and it could really easily damage your cymbals or kit.

Back