drumkats gear

drumkat

Well, this is it. My Premier Genista. It has been my loyal and faithful friend for the past 14yrs.

It is a very solid kit with a great attacking & punchy sound.

It has been all over this country. In planes, boats, vans, and cars. It is great in the studio and live. It is the only kit I have owned. It is really versatile and fits me like a glove.

I am not really very focussed on gear. I would rather spend my time in practising with what I do have.

But of course, I have looked after my gear to the best of my abilities.

I took a photo of my metronome set up for you. Its a Dr Beat 30 (DB30). I have it plugged into a logitech sub woofer amp to really get a tempo thumping...it works really well.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    393.6 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 451
Man, that's an awesome kit, and the green finish is spectacular!!

I also own a DB30 and keep it plugged to an old aiwa stereo at home. I also take it to rehearsals and coupled with a pair of Sennheiser HD280 headphones, it is plenty loud to be heard above the music. It's a great little device.

Anyway, congrats for such a nice kit. Care to tell us what cymbals are you using?? I'm guessing A Custom Hihats.. is that right?

Cheers!

Very nice kit you have there man. Green and maple just seem to work. Good colour for the grain to show. You are a good example to me and others, on how to be content with the gear you have, and taking care of it. :)

Man, that's an awesome kit, and the green finish is spectacular!!

I also own a DB30 and keep it plugged to an old aiwa stereo at home. I also take it to rehearsals and coupled with a pair of Sennheiser HD280 headphones, it is plenty loud to be heard above the music. It's a great little device.

Anyway, congrats for such a nice kit. Care to tell us what cymbals are you using?? I'm guessing A Custom Hihats.. is that right?

Cheers!

Thanks for the comps dieobxr.....indeed the top is a A custom. The bottom is a K custom. Oh, they are 13" hats BTW.

The rest of my cymbals are a 8" and 10" A custom splash, 16" Sabian Virgil Donati signature Saturation crash, a 18" Sabian HH thin crash and a 20" Zildjian Ping Ride

The earphones are simply that. When I am actually playing the kit, I just slap them on. It gives the kit a real warm tone.

I pulled out the inner ear foam as it was cancelling out TOO much sound.

Last edited:
Is... your snare clutch facing away from you?

Yup! I have been asked this at a few gigs. I actually play seated rather high...my knee kept on hitting the clutch.

For some reason, whenever I see a snare, I wont go near it unlees the clutch is facing away from me....a habit

Very nice kit you have there man. Green and maple just seem to work. Good colour for the grain to show. You are a good example to me and others, on how to be content with the gear you have, and taking care of it. :)

Hi Glen. Thanks mate. I know for a fact that you really appreciate what you own....you just own, well...a ton more drums than me.

As we have seen lately though, you can't judge the quality of the drummer by the size of his kit. Apparently, the bigger the kit, the better you have to play. You should be Ok then. :)

As we have seen lately though, you can't judge the quality of the drummer by the size of his kit. Apparently, the bigger the kit, the better you have to play. You should be Ok then. :)

I reckon it takes a lot of guts to put your own playing on a forum....it leaves you wide open for all sorts of comments as we have seen.

I personally will probably NEVER put my playing on here....my fragile little heart couldn't take it

I reckon it takes a lot of guts to put your own playing on a forum....it leaves you wide open for all sorts of comments as we have seen.

I personally will probably NEVER put my playing on here....my fragile little heart couldn't take it
Well it really shouldn't be a scary experience if we all treat each other the way we should.

Really lovely finish on those drums. I'm not sure if green is my favourite colour for drums but it's certainly up there. It's a shame how hard it is to get Premier drums now - hopefully they'll be on the up soon enough. I wanted an Artist Birch set for a very long time after seeing a show when I was about fifteen. The drummer was absolutely killing it on a beautiful mahogany-stained Artist Birch and it was great. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Genista but there are a fair few older Premier kits kicking around in places in the UK that I have played and I've always rated them very highly indeed.

What size is that bass drum? If it's a 20" then you really have got my attention.

Really lovely finish on those drums. I'm not sure if green is my favourite colour for drums but it's certainly up there. It's a shame how hard it is to get Premier drums now - hopefully they'll be on the up soon enough. I wanted an Artist Birch set for a very long time after seeing a show when I was about fifteen. The drummer was absolutely killing it on a beautiful mahogany-stained Artist Birch and it was great. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Genista but there are a fair few older Premier kits kicking around in places in the UK that I have played and I've always rated them very highly indeed.

What size is that bass drum? If it's a 20" then you really have got my attention.

Hi there MFB...it is most certainly a 20" bass drum. You may have noticed that I have done away with the bass drum tom mount. The hole was covered by a brass plate bolted onto the shell. I made a leather gasket that the plate sits on. I then engraved my name onto it..."BENJAMIN"

Oh, before I forget, apparently the new Genistas have the same size lugs for all the drum shells. The 90s version that I have has the oversized lugs on the bass drum. Premier (as far as I know) wont be doing this anymore.

Hi there MFB...it is most certainly a 20" bass drum. You may have noticed that I have done away with the bass drum tom mount. The hole was covered by a brass plate bolted onto the shell. I made a leather gasket that the plate sits on. I then engraved my name onto it..."BENJAMIN"

Oh, before I forget, apparently the new Genistas have the same size lugs for all the drum shells. The 90s version that I have has the oversized lugs on the bass drum. Premier (as far as I know) wont be doing this anymore.
They will probably just put a thicker gasket on the bass lugs to raise them. That is what my Saturn's have.

They will probably just put a thicker gasket on the bass lugs to raise them. That is what my Saturn's have.

Wow, that's really strange. My Meridians (which are a lower line) have different lugs on the bass drum. (?) :/

My '92 Exports also have different lugs on the bass drum. I actually I thought all kits were like this, until now. You learn something new every day. :)

Anyway, back to the thread.. Lovely drums!! I love green. :D

Cheers!

Extra lovely! Any kit I buy in the future will be a 20" but that's a few years off. I might be mad but I like bass-drum mounted toms. All the same, I like what you've done.

Back