My DW collectors maple kit. A beautiful thing

seanthedrummer

i've spent months tinkering with set ups, skins and tunings. It is finally complete.

The drum set is a Finish Ply Black Velvet with Chrome hardware. The sizes are (depth x width): racks - 8x10 and 9x12, floors - 11x14 and 13x16, kick - 18x22, snare - 8 x 14
cymbals; zildjian

I would normally go with far deeper drums, especially with floor toms, but the kit was an absurdly good deal. For a used kit, they're in exquisite condition.

my snare drum is a sonor danny carey signature series bronze snare. unbelievable drum.
i also got a pearl demon drive double pedal. i hope to one day upgrade to a double bass drum kit so this pedal is in it for the long haul.

hope you enjoy the pics.

cheers,

sean

Attachments

• drum pic 1.jpg
    drum pic 1.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 662
  • drum pic 2.jpg
    drum pic 2.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 643
  • drum pic 3.jpg
    drum pic 3.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 635
  • drum pic 6.jpg
    drum pic 6.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 621
  • drum pic 7.jpg
    drum pic 7.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 633
  • drum pic 4.jpg
    drum pic 4.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 636
  • drum pic 5.jpg
    drum pic 5.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 624
Great kit, great snare drum too. Demon drive too. You're all set then. Don't even worry that your floors are 3" less deep...

DW's tune up so nice, they are so precise. Nice score. How much? Cymbals included?

I'm sorry but I couldn't see much detail in your photographs to really enjoy them. What you're describing sounds like a gorgeous set of drums that need better lighting to show off their true beauty.

I'm sure you'll like yours as much as I do mine. Have fun with them.

Congratulations,
Dennis

The DW Collectors are quite nice. The Roto-toms just cheapen the whole experience for me. Maybe it's because every other dude back in high school used them as a cheap way to add more drums to their setup. "Check out my sweet 8 piece kit!" said the 17 year old paper boy. "Well it's actually a five piece kit with a standard set of Roto-toms." I think your kit would look way cooler without the Roto-toms. Your cymbal collection is top notch, BTW.

The DW Collectors are quite nice. The Roto-toms just cheapen the whole experience for me. Maybe it's because every other dude back in high school used them as a cheap way to add more drums to their setup. "Check out my sweet 8 piece kit!" said the 17 year old paper boy. "Well it's actually a five piece kit with a standard set of Roto-toms." I think your kit would look way cooler without the Roto-toms. Your cymbal collection is top notch, BTW.

Being a Bozzio fan, I have a soft spot for roto toms.

Love the set that he used with Missing Persons back in the 80s!

BTW: nice set, man!

Patrice

Sweet kit, but next time I suggest you point a light source at it so that we can see it better :)

The Roto-toms just cheapen the whole experience for me. Maybe it's because every other dude back in high school used them as a cheap way to add more drums to their setup. "Check out my sweet 8 piece kit!" said the 17 year old paper boy. "Well it's actually a five piece kit with a standard set of Roto-toms."

Yeah, I think it's the association that cheapens the experience, not the rototoms themselves. It's the same reason so many people (and not just drummers) dislike the 5-piece kit with the two rack toms mounted on the kick drum - because that's the setup that every single drummer starts off with, and everyone's seen countless horrible bands with drummers using that setup.

The thing about the rotos is that they replace my old set up.
I used to play a much larger kit. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 inch toms. I would set it up neil peart style and have my run with them all the way down.
I bought this kit used (just the DW shells) for 2300 which was such a steal that I jumped on it even though there were less drums than I wanted (my original plan was to upgrade to a mid-level birch kit with a lot of drums - i am happy i went this route, the toms sound incredible). I paid 500 for the snare and just over 500 for the demondrive pedal. The cymbals and rack I've had for years, I couldn't tell you how much, but the rack was 350 and the cymbals I would guess 2500? The rotos were the best option i had of integrating that high end tight tom roll sound. As far as the 14 inch roto is concerned, it sounds amazing, utterly incredible with an evans hydraulic on it. so, they very much increase the range and versatility of the kit for me. i use them often in the songs i write with my band. as my snare drum suggests, my hero is danny carey and he loves roto toms; just on a note of precedent. on the current tour he is using rotos as his rack toms instead of the regular 8 and 10 combo. just sayin'.

also, good call about the lighting. it's a strange room that i'm in with only one lightbulb. i'm going to go down and take some more pictures this weekend. I'll re-upload them then.

cheers,
sean

Hey buddy. Use what you like. Everyone will have a different opinion on your stuff. Believe me, I know. I am also a big Carey fan, and own the same snare as you. I am also a big Neil Peart fan, and love lots of toms. I use 3, 8" toms to get the high end sound.

About your kit. Well I can't see the darn thing so I can't really tell you what I think. Get some more lights set up, and maybe a better camera. :)

Back