dwforever

Anybody else feel really awkward and shameful when they gig with their high-end kits? It just makes me feel like such a showoff and I dont want to present myself like that as a drummer.

Hmm... How many from the audience will identify your kit/gear as hi-end? 3%? I think this is primarily a mind (trick) thing. Plus, what's the problem using decent gear? If you like the sound and can afford it - why settle on less? Honestly my instruments & studio equipment is WAY better than I'd ever deserve but it gives me a good feeling that it's definitely not the gear (and even not the ear by now) but - the player. I even think good instruments have that 10 or something % extra sound which is exactly that plus making you hear more details (and issues in your playing) which overall make you a better player as it's more of a challenge. It's easy to pull out ok sounds out of great instruments but it takes far more to get closer to the max. Makes sense?

Sorry for a guitar related example but it might make some things clearer. I've been told by various guitarists and luthiers that everybody can play over an amp simulator (digital gear recreating analog/real/mostly tube amps). But when it comes to playing a real tube amp many players will be faced with the 'truth' as those amps translate far more playing nuances - whether good ones or a lack of skill/sloppy playing style. In fact I was told that some guys switched back from hi-end tube amps to digital simulations because they realised the real stuff was 'too good' for them meaning they couldn't cope with hearing more of their flaws. So don't underestimate the 'side-effects' of hi-end gear - you have more potential for growth.

Last edited:
It just makes me feel like such a showoff and I dont want to present myself like that as a drummer.
How you present yourself is how you sound, how you play, & what you say. If using a great instrument has benefits in that particular situation, then you don't need to substantiate your decision further than that. Even if it's only you who reaps the benefit, & that inspires your playing, or adds to your enjoyment, then I'd argue it's more than worth it. Each to his own, but using good gear is not, in itself, showing off.

I don't think anyone cares.

No, but if you start ordering Apple Martinis, then you're just showing off.

Seriously, I just see it as a guy/gal who decided to put their money into their equipment. The real tragedy is playing with gear that sounds like crap because it wasn't tuned properly. I have put most of my money into cars and bikes. Not anymore, but in the past. It's all about your priorities. I'm a minimalist in the gear department. I simply don't have enough room for a small time drum operation. And if I did have a garage, it would probably have a classic car in it with lots of tools. Is having a super sweet vintage car showing off? Only if you start ordering Apple Martinis.

That's a silly notion. If you've got good gear, put it to good use!

That's the way I see it, and as a drummer if I see a band using nice gear I'm usually drooling over it, not thinking "huh this guy just has way too much money and is showing off"

You bought it for a reason, the way it sounds and looks. Put it to use and put that goofy notion to bed ;-)

Most people can't tell a $5000 kit from a $500 kit.
I have several kits that I use and no one even notices what kit that I bring anymore.
They only notice that I play what they need to hear to comp the tune that we are playing.
Play the drums that you like.

I used to be worried about "earning my gear" until the people here talked me out of that and I bought an LM402 and played it in a state of pure ecstasy for the last few mos. I had to get over myself and you should too. Life is better on the other side!

If it bothers you put a Percussion Plus bass drum head on the kit and no one will know.

If it bothers you put a Percussion Plus bass drum head on the kit and no one will know.

+1.The only thing that bothers me in the least is the guy who puts a Gibson sticker on a cheap knock off and calls it a Les Paul.Or the guy who puts a Ludwig bass drum head on,and calls his Percussion Plus kit Ludwig.

None of it really matters though,if you can play what you have.Be it a cheapo vintage MIJ asian firewood kit or a top of the line DW kit.It's the drummer who makes the drums....not the other way around.

Steve B

Are you around jealous people who try to make you feel that way?

Depending on your age and where you're at in life, sometimes people are haters and don't like to see others have nice things.

But hey, f*** 'em. It's your nice stuff, go out and play it. As others have pointed out, most people can't tell the difference anyway, unless you're playing something unusual-looking enough to draw their attention to it.

The only thing that bothers me about seeing someone with super expensive gear is the inability to play that gear. It's all about the playing. If a great player plays great on an a crap kit, I give him a ton of credit. If a great player plays great on super expensive gear, I still give him a ton of credit, and feels he deserves that gear.

A bad player on bad gear....that's OK, he's just not that far into the journey yet, no crime at all there. A bad player on super expensive gear is the one I would tend to mock.

I don't know if you're sincere or just trying to stir it up again. But that's OK. You're not attacking anyone.

Anybody else feel really awkward and shameful when they gig with their high-end kits? It just makes me feel like such a showoff and I dont want to present myself like that as a drummer.

Don't worry. Nobody notices the drummer anyway. :-(

Of all the patrons at any given gig, I'd say only about 15% sorta care just a little bit about the kind of music thats being played at the venue.

Of that 15%, maybe 5% care about the kind band thats playing it.. is the singer good/ is she hot? The guitar player's a demon!...nice danceable band....

of that 5%, you might have 1% or maybe two musicians in the crowd that might be really checking out the band, its gear etc...

and of that 1% you might have .05% that are actually drummers who would faint at the sight of a set GURU drums, or conversely, hurl on a set of Pearl Forums.

....and of that .05%, there might be .025% of that crowd that might not even care about the kind of kit they or anybody else plays.

Most people in clubs just get off on the THUMP THUMP THUMP and the tinkle of glasses and chatter.

Just saying.

I would'nt worry about it, if I was you.

Last edited:

Most members of the audience don't pay a lot of attention to the instruments. If it's a trashed Craigslist kit, they might notice it looks beat up, but other than that, non-musicians don't pay much attention to your instruments.

Most members of the audience don't pay a lot of attention to the instruments. If it's a trashed Craigslist kit, they might notice it looks beat up, but other than that, non-musicians don't pay much attention to your instruments.

That is exactly correct they could care less about your gear but they will Boo the crap out of you if they cant dance to what your playing

Out of all of the kits that I have owned the WMP Ludwig kit seems to get noticed the most.
I'm talking non musicians here.
Two women from the audience have commented that they like my drums over the past several months.
Few patrons have ever mentioned my other kits.
I guess that the WMP stands out more than the other finishes that I have.
Thats all that people seem to see. They see colors that they like.
They really don't care what brand it is or the price.

Back