Hey Gretsch experts...

brady

Platinum Member
I'm looking at a Gretsch snare to possibly add to the arsenal.

I'm not too familiar with all the lines/history of Gretsch so I'm hoping you all can help.

The snare is a 10 lug maple that looks like a Renown from a perhaps a few years ago but it doesn't say Renown anywhere on it. It has an octagon badge (that says Gretsch on both sides), with silver sealer, and die-cast hoops. The lugs look sort of like Renown lugs though. The throw-off is pretty smooth, all metal.

Does anyone have any idea what line this might be from? It sounds pretty good; if it's not from a lower, beginner line then it may be mine.

Thanks.

If you can post a photo of the drum and badge and if possible the paper tag inside I could tell you roughly when it was made. Some Renown drums were made with what they call the Square Badge....it has 8 sides = more squarish than the Stop Sign Badges but as far as I can tell there were no SS badges made with Gretsch on both sides (upside down and rightside up). Gretsch issued square badges (not really square as I said above - they have 8 sides but are squarish) on Renown Maple, Catalina Stage and Catalina Elite drums 2001-2003.

If you can supply photos of the drum, badge and..especially if it has a paper tag inside the drum that would be helpfull.

Gary

I'm not too familiar with all the lines/history of Gretsch so I'm hoping you all can help.

The snare is a 10 lug maple that looks like a Renown from a perhaps a few years ago but it doesn't say Renown anywhere on it. It has an octagon badge (that says Gretsch on both sides), with silver sealer, and die-cast hoops. The lugs look sort of like Renown lugs though. The throw-off is pretty smooth, all metal.

Does anyone have any idea what line this might be from? It sounds pretty good; if it's not from a lower, beginner line then it may be mine.

Thanks.

It doesn't have any paper tag inside; just the silver sealer.

I doubt it's a vintage snare as it doesn't look all that old. I'm out of town right now and can't take a picture of it. However, after scouring the interwebs, I found another drum with the same badge. This is obviously not the drum, but it does have the same badge.
In fact, the lugs, hoops, and everything else are the same too. So if you know what series this brass drum is from that may tell me what the maple is from.

Attachments

• gretsch badge.jpg
    gretsch badge.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 227
Looks to be a Gretsch Full Range (Custom USA from Ridgeland) snare drum - 2001-2013. It should have a paper tag in it with model and serial number.
The 2014 price (MSRP) list for the Hammered Antique Copper Shelled snare drums are as follows - the 'street price' or 'retailer shops' can be anywhere from 20% lower to as much as 40% lower in some cases.....usually about 25% lower than here.

G4160HC 5x14 8 Lug $735.99
G4164HC 6.5x14 10 Lug $810.99
G4168HC 6x13 6 Lug $685.99

Gary

It doesn't have any paper tag inside; just the silver sealer.

I doubt it's a vintage snare as it doesn't look all that old. I'm out of town right now and can't take a picture of it. However, after scouring the interwebs, I found another drum with the same badge. This is obviously not the drum, but it does have the same badge.
In fact, the lugs, hoops, and everything else are the same too. So if you know what series this brass drum is from that may tell me what the maple is from.

By the way - the Metal shelled Gretsch snare drum - the one you pictured here is a very nice drum - sensitive and very 'snary' a beauty.

The only Gretsch metal snare drum I have is a 5.5x14 brushed aluminum Stop Sign Badge #1 (Orange & White 1 paper tagged) 1976-77. It is an incredibly nice snare drum. My wife spotted it in a pawn shop and they really didn't know or care I guess what it was they just wanted their money out of it fast. I got it....including the 'snap-in' drum key and snare drum stand all for $75 about 3 years ago. Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time.

What I'm saying is the Gretsch metal snare drums usually are nice drums - especially the new ones. Gretsch had a reputation earlier on of producing some poor snare drums - they recognized that and turned that around - they have some very nice snare drums now...as good as any out there.

Gary

Thanks.

5" RENOWN snare drums have 8 lugs, 6.5's have 10 lugs.

RENOWN badges have 'RENOWN' written on them.

Attachments

• Picture 18.png
    Picture 18.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 201
Not necessarily according to pg 94 of the Gretsch book.

5" RENOWN snare drums have 8 lugs, 6.5's have 10 lugs.

RENOWN badges have 'RENOWN' written on them.

Attachments

• GRETSCH BADGE PG 94 GRETSCH BOOK.jpg
    GRETSCH BADGE PG 94 GRETSCH BOOK.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 197
Not necessarily according to pg 94 of the Gretsch book.

Clues from the OP's post: The snare is a 10 lug maple that looks like a Renown from a perhaps a few years ago but... .

Going to assume he's somewhat adept at knowing if a snare is newer/older.

Back