THE DRUMMING DICTIONARY.

Hi

(i'm from denmark so i need to know some common stuff to)
1. the fulcrum
2. rudiments
3. the fingers, what are they called?
the thumb
the mouseclicking finger
THE finger
the wedding ring finger
the ear scratching finger
or what do you call them?
4. the -itis when you hear a ringing in your ears

Fulcrum is basically where in your hand the stick pivots. The hinge, if you will.

Rudiments are practice excersises and also the foundation of all drum patterns. They are the basics.

Fingers are called:

Thumb
Index Finger
Middle Finger
Ring Finger
Pinky

Thx for the answer, though i'm not sure i understand.

"Fulcrum is basically where in your hand the stick pivots. The hinge, if you will."
Does this mean that the fulcrum is moved when you switch grips?
If it's the hinge, then it must be where you hold on to the stick?

"Rudiments are practice excersises and also the foundation of all drum patterns. They are the basics."
So when someone is practising their rudiments, then they are practising some basic drum patterns?

I'm not a metalurgy expert but here's my "drummers take" on die-cast rims. These are rims that are formed by pouring molten metal into a form or die. This would be the alternative to a rim that is formed by bending and stamping a piece of existing metal. Die cast rims are usually considered to be more rigid than stamped rims. Both have different qualities that can affect sound and tuning. Neither style is necessarily better than the other.

They are hoops/rims that are poured into a mold, and not 'flanged' or bent in anyway, thus there is no mechanical stress on the rims.

Technique wise, this has a greater effect on the tuning of drums, as they distribute the tension more evenly than triple flanged hoops, allowing for easier and clearer tuning.

Oh - and they look better!

Three pages and I was sure I would see syncopation. I've been dying to get an exact definition of this one. I asked my guitar and bass player, but they gave me vague definitions (i.e. they don't really know themselves).

Also, thanks for the definition of the different kinds of hoops, that was another I'd been wanting to get.

Nutha, give some examples. "In the pocket" is one of those terms that is better understood if you can put it to music. Much like "laying back" in a swing tune.

FYI - laying back is being behind the beat but not to the point of dragging the tune. Pull out any medium-swing big band tune with any of the legends and you'll get the idea.

In the pocket - Vinnie Colaiuta on "Fields of Gold". God, that is SO right-there.

In the pocket drummers
Wierd Al Yankovich's drummer from the album "Bad Hair Day" on the song "The Alternative Polka"

Can someone tell me what a 'lick' is?

A lick is just a small part of a song/solo. So just say you did a cool fill some one may say "wow...that was a great lick"

could someone tell me what triggers are? I have a general idea but would love clarification.

They are quite simply something that turns sound energy into electrical energy. If you have watched track meets, the starters pistol has one on the end of it that turns the firing sound into electrical energy to start the timing mechanism. At the Olympics you will see the starter with a pistol and a wire running down from his raised hand to a timer. Best analogy I can think of. Better know as a transducer.

Last edited:
In very simple terms syncopation is emphasis, or a note, anywhere except for the downbeat.

Three pages and I was sure I would see syncopation. I've been dying to get an exact definition of this one. I asked my guitar and bass player, but they gave me vague definitions (i.e. they don't really know themselves).

Isn't syncopation like transposing, just with rythms instead of tones?

I mean if you put the emphasis on the &'s, as in Jason's example, throughout the hole song then there isn't any syncopation is there? So syncopation is only when the emphasis changes, right?

In music, syncopation is the stressing of a normally unstressed beat in a bar or the failure to sound a tone on an accented beat.

Syncopation is used on occasion in many musical styles, including classical music, but it is fundamental in such styles as ragtime and jazz. In the form of a back beat, syncopation is used in virtually all contemporary popular music.

From Wikipedia, I like going to the source

Back