Any Aussie Ebay-ers?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Some may have gathered from my posts that I'm a "buy used" advocate. Personally, I've always leaned in favour of my "second hand man", but lately I've taken to scouring ebay Aus and have been floored by some of the "brand new in the bag, buy it now" cymbal prices.

Seriously, there are pro level cymbals running for around half the retail price (supposedly brand new)......what gives? Are these things genuine and bought in bulk from the States and then on sold for what seems to be equivalent US pricing (unheard of in this country).....or are they "Bali special, knock offs"? Who are these guys asking such generous (in Aussie terms) prices?

I can see a whole new level of cymbal aquisition if these items are genuine. Anyone got the skinny?

I have no idea, I buy from private one-off sellers but yeah there are some private retailers on Ebay selling at pretty damn cheap prices. I have no idea, wondered about it myself, stolen off the back of a truck? Still buying from private one-offs (and there are a lot of those) is even cheaper still.

I've bought some of these cymbals off ebay and they are the real deal. I'm pretty sure they are so cheap because they are buying cymbal packs from the states and breaking them up and selling each cymbal individually. I bought Zildjian 13" A Pocket hats off ebay and they are only avaliable in the Zildjian Inspiration cymbal pack.

There seems to be quite a few sellers lately who while they don't have the traditional brick and mortar music store,do have somewhat of an inventory in their garage or basement.These guys seem to be able to replenish inventory through various means,legal or otherwise.Just yesterday a seller put up a Blackrolite on Ebay in beautiful condition,with a stand and case,for 55 dollars US buy it now.I don't think it lasted an hour.It may just be my cop intuition talking,but as you are fond of saying Jules,I would bet London to a brick,that was stolen property.

I know there has always been some of that on Ebay,but it seems to be a lot more prevelant,and on the rise these days.As long as Ebay collects its fees,and there are no impending investigations going on,I think they will continue to look the other way.Just my 2 cents.

Steve B

I've been wondering about the same, but found it's not contained to eBay and Gumtree... I was at Drummers Dream in Belmore (Sydney) on the weekend and they sell the Zildjian 14" K hihats for $395, brand new.... They used to be close to double that...

My guess is the recent rise of the Aussie $ against the greenback has driven down retail prices, meaning it's not likely to stay this way..

Dutch

I've noticed the same. I suspect it's a combination of the strength of the Aussie dollar, plus the fact that these people are buying en masse from the States... plus not that many people are buying! There are the occasional bargains that're snatched up quickly, but I'm sure that you've noticed that many of the items on the bay have been there for ages anyhow.

For the record, I bought my HHX Evolutions hats for $380ish... they arrived new and unhit in a Sabian bag. Another bloke I built up a working relationship with (well, buy-sell relationship) was helping get rid of ex-demo and floor stock, and so had things at very good prices.

Back