Recommendations on Small Snare

mortegaboo

Hi Drummerworld,

Currently in the market for a soprano snare; preferably in the 7x12 or 6x12 range. Budget tops is $800. Would like wood snare rather than metal. I've seen a couple by Mapex and Pearl but not totally sold on those. Has anyone seen or heard of a classic maple ludwig 12x6 snare drum? this is really the one I'm looking for but open to others. An example of what the snare sounds like is done by JJ Johnson (check out "I don't trust myself" by John Mayer) beginning groove.

Mahalo!

First thing I want mention, above all, is to try local music stores or Guitar Center (personally, I attempt to avoid them, but their selection is undeniable) and find one to try in person. Otherwise, hop on eBay and look around. Buying used will get you the most bang for your buck, by far.

As for the Ludwig Classic Maple, I've never seen one in that size. But assuming that it does exist and considering it's a high end snare drum, it probably sounds pretty good. I'm going to guess poppy, with a little bit of beef from the 6" depth. Any reason you want that particular drum? The sound on that John Mayer song was probably a 14" drum, tuned low and loose, with some muffling (although to be fair, anything's possible in the studio).
Assuming you just want a nice, small maple snare, it's pretty easy to track down production drums in that size, and the first thing that springs to mind is a maple 12"x7" Pearl snare drum, which you can find used all over the internet for under $200. Similarly, Pork Pie (Made By An American and Little Squealer) snare drums in those sizes are pretty easy to find, and you're pretty much guaranteed a quality instrument for a fair price.
Now, if your budget is $800, the last option I'll throw out there is to splurge on a boutique drum. For instance, there are a few 12"x6"/7" Brady snares on eBay right now. I think it all depends on how much money you want to save and what you really want to buy.
Hope this helped.

Check out the Brady jarrah block 12x7.

Easy. Save yourself $600 and find a Yamaha Musashi Oak 12x6 for around $200.
Put a die cast rim on top and add groove wedge for the best cross stick sounds you've ever heard.

If you must spend the cash, a Brady Jarrah block 12x7.
Or better yet, a custom made Guru. Andy will hook you up with exactly what you need.

N

Any reason you want that particular drum? The sound on that John Mayer song was probably a 14" drum, tuned low and loose, with some muffling (although to be fair, anything's possible in the studio).
Hope this helped.

I forgot to mention that the version I heard was live :// my bad my fault. I play a variety of rhythms (drum n' bass to say the least) and I wanted something more on the crack/pop side of snares. I have a 14x7 PP that I've gotten to adjust to my liking but I need a smaller snare to achieve a brighter tighter cutting sound that I just can't get out of my main SNR.

Put a die cast rim on top and add groove wedge for the best cross stick sounds you've ever heard.

N

reeally?? I'll look around for one. Is that Oak the same on their yamaha customs??

thanks for the replies :)

[size=+3]WOW![/size] Definitely on my list. That's an interesting wood choice :)

Have one of those?

No, if I wanted a 12 I could have bought it though. It makes a nice high pitched crack... I think the b52's used one in love shack.

A Brady will do nicely if you want to go there, pricewise. I'd really recommend you get a stave drum of some sort, after having a stave snare I don't think I'll ever go back to ply snares. The Brady is stave. I got a stave 13x5 shell from Daville Drumworks which was drilled & edged & finished, and hardware from drumfactorydirect, and that cost less than $500. You could go for a more exotic wood like Zebrawood or Wenge but Padauk (relatively inexpensive from daville) is a great option with tons of low & high end that will make the snare totally pop. For tight tunings you probably want die-cast hoops and perhaps some Puresound Blasters, and I'd really recommend trying a Remo Clear Controlled Sound head. Good luck!

Last edited:
reeally?? I'll look around for one. Is that Oak the same on their yamaha customs??

thanks for the replies :)

Yes, same oak as the Oak Customs. The 13" version of this drum is one of my favorites, and of several others here on DW. The Musashi snare comes in 10" , 12" and 13". They are officially discontinued but still readily available, both new and used.
I find the drum really benefits from a heavier/stronger batter hoop. The 1.6mm hoop that it comes with works fine...but I like the extra 'focus' that die cast hoops provide on this drum. Dries it out a bit.
Already mentioned... Puresound snares do wonders on this drum too.

Yup, B52's - "Love Shack" , what an iconic snare sound from that era - late 80's/ early 90's. That song and "Roam" = the sound of Brady Jarrah block snares. Delicious.
Look on youtube for Steve Jordan videos with the John Mayer Trio - he has one as his left side snare...and check Memphis Drum shop videos, lots and lots of recordings of Brady snares there. Any of their stave block snares are awesome - Jarrah, Sheoak, Wandoo Block, etc.

Last edited:
I got a stave 13x5 shell from Daville Drumworks which was drilled & edged & finished, and hardware from drumfactorydirect, and that cost less than $500. You could go for a more exotic wood like Zebrawood or Wenge but Padauk (relatively inexpensive from daville) is a great option with tons of low & high end that will make the snare totally pop. For tight tunings you probably want die-cast hoops and perhaps some Puresound Blasters, and I'd really recommend trying a Remo Clear Controlled Sound head. Good luck!

I think I'm gonna go this route seems reasonably easy and I'm a big DIY guy. Get the exact woods that I want and should be a fun process! :))

Thanks for that Abapicaltaenia!

No, if I wanted a 12 I could have bought it though. It makes a nice high pitched crack... I think the b52's used one in love shack.

Dre I really like your avatar :)

the sound of Brady Jarrah block snares. Delicious.
Look on youtube for Steve Jordan videos with the John Mayer Trio - he has one as his left side snare...and check Memphis Drum shop videos, lots and lots of recordings of Brady snares there. Any of their stave block snares are awesome - Jarrah, Sheoak, Wandoo Block, etc.

One of the best snare drum sounds I've heard. YES!

Last edited by a moderator:

If you must spend the cash, a Brady Jarrah block 12x7.
Or better yet, a custom made Guru. Andy will hook you up with exactly what you need.

N

Seconded on the Musashi. I use one as my main snare at the moment - throw a two-ply head on it and it can do anything!

Or better yet, a Guru. Andy will hook you up with exactly what you need.

N
Outside of budget Steve - sorry :(

I'd really recommend you get a stave drum of some sort, after having a stave snare I don't think I'll ever go back to ply snares.
Padauk (relatively inexpensive from daville) is a great option with tons of low & high end that will make the snare totally pop.
Padauk is absolutely a superb option, especially suited to a small snare, as it retains low end power. Block/stave = the same thing, it's just a hurricane/cyclone kinda deal :)

If you're going to build/assemble your own drum, be mindful of the bearing edge profiles you'll need to get the playing characteristics of your choice, & also shell thickness. Generally, 12" snares work better at the thinner end of the spectrum when considering stave/block, steam bent, or segmented constructions. Also, if you want really high tensions, choose your lugs carefully. Anything with an insert is a risk, cheaper isn't necessarily the way to go, & individual single point lugs are a no go area. A well made tube lug design will often be fit for purpose.

Last point, 12" snareside hoops are less common than other sizes, & less choices are available. I'm not sure if they do 12" snareside, but we know from experience, that "S" hoops partner especially well with padauk stave.

Good luck :)

Seconded on the Musashi. I use one as my main snare at the moment - throw a two-ply head on it and it can do anything!

you know if the whole custom snare build doesn't work out - i'll surely take this route. My only concern is replacing the hoops and probably the wires and for sure the heads

Thanks Major

Padauk is absolutely a superb option, especially suited to a small snare, as it retains low end power. Block/stave = the same thing, it's just a hurricane/cyclone kinda deal :)

If you're going to build/assemble your own drum, be mindful of the bearing edge profiles you'll need to get the playing characteristics of your choice, & also shell thickness. Generally, 12" snares work better at the thinner end of the spectrum when considering stave/block, steam bent, or segmented constructions. Also, if you want really high tensions, choose your lugs carefully. Anything with an insert is a risk, cheaper isn't necessarily the way to go, & individual single point lugs are a no go area. A well made tube lug design will often be fit for purpose.

Last point, 12" snareside hoops are less common than other sizes, & less choices are available. I'm not sure if they do 12" snareside, but we know from experience, that "S" hoops partner especially well with padauk stave.

So I'm really considering getting that Padauk wood snare and assembling it myself.(This will be my first assembled drum TBH) I was on the daville drumworks site and he offers pretty much everything but putting on strainers/butts/wires/etc. So my next question is getting the right hardware for this snare. (Going abapicaltaenia route :D)

Simple, can you suggestion any lugs that would work well with this Padauk snare?

abapicaltaenia mentioned drumfactorydirect. I'm guessing that they make quality products so my hope is that if I buy from there I'll will fine. :D

Mahalo!

Simple, can you suggestion any lugs that would work well with this Padauk snare?

abapicaltaenia mentioned drumfactorydirect. I'm guessing that they make quality products so my hope is that if I buy from there I'll will fine. :D

Mahalo!
Almost every lug supplier sources from the same few factories in Asia. accordingly, the quality is pretty much the same wherever you go = just about fit for purpose. Ego do make in the USA (to be applauded IMO). Something like this design may suite your purposes. http://www.egodrumsupply.com/tubes.html

A stoutly built tube lug will give you the best chance of achieving the higher tensions usually required for a 12" snare. Buy the best you can.

A stoutly built tube lug will give you the best chance of achieving the higher tensions usually required for a 12" snare. Buy the best you can.

Most definitely!! Looking at their site they make 3 inserts... Is there any difference between the Axial, SE, DE inserts or are they just for cosmetics?

Mahalo!

Yes, same oak as the Oak Customs. The 13" version of this drum is one of my favorites, and of several others here on DW. The Musashi snare comes in 10" , 12" and 13". They are officially discontinued but still readily available, both new and used....

I bought one of those today - the 13 x 6.5 Musashi. Can't pick it up till Monday though when it comes in from the warehouse.

It's my seventh snare drum, but none of them are custom or exotic type stuff though. All generic, run of the mill snares.

I'm still excited about this one though. I didn't know they were discontinued.

I bought one of those today - the 13 x 6.5 Musashi. Can't pick it up till Monday though when it comes in from the warehouse.

It's my seventh snare drum, but none of them are custom or exotic type stuff though. All generic, run of the mill snares.

I'm still excited about this one though. I didn't know they were discontinued.

Yes, Yamaha have discontinued everything that was made in Japan at Sakae (and the Musashi's were made there). So good score!
You will love this one, especially if you like to tune it high.
Neal

Aw, thanks. Glad to be of help. All the stuff I got from DFD was the Asian stuff but I was on a budget so I didn't mind- most of the stuff they sell is from other suppliers, they merely are a great storefront for good suppliers.

Ego certainly appear to be of better quality than most lugs & S-Hoops are the next thing on my purchase list so I think those are good ways to go. I hope it turns out well!

Oh and re: the Ego lugs: DE means "double ended". SE is single ended. Obviously the tubes are double ended.

Back