Consistent rim shots

matthew

An issue I am working on at the moment is achieving consistent rimshots at all dynamics.

I'm finding it really hard to get a rim shot every time on 2 and 4 on the snare, and what usually happens is I give up and just play live without them. At least that way I am consistent for the song in question and I think that grooves more than missing every couple of snare notes.

I think that just playing without rim shots and adding an accent is a great thing, but its only one option, i want to expand my musical options, but after a lot of practice I still find it hard.

I play trad grip, I have the snare tilted away from my left hand so both sticks are the same height from the rim when i am relaxed, I some times play matched and I have experimented with going 100% matched grip and putting the snare flat.

I especially have issues with low volume rim shots, and of course getting rimshots on 2 and 4 when doing a double shuffle at speeds.

Any advice would be appreciated!

the less stick you hang past the hoop will make a rim shot quieter and usually brighter... and just practice. when i first learned to do em, i didnt play non-rimshots... just saying. try and find a practice pad with a hoop. to me it was mostly ab getting used to hitting two points (the head and hoop) at once. nowadays theyre effortless. youll get it

Thanks the hooped practice pad is an excellent idea... ive been stopping my "rimshot consistency practice" after a while because I'm thinking the neighbours are goign to hate me... so thats something ill get.

i can get those high pitch rim shots easier, especially with my right hand, but to get the stick in the middle of the head (or even just beyond; which sounds nice on my snare) is hard...

i know the short answer is: practice, don't expect miracles over night.. but i wonder if any one has wise input

so i thank you for your response already tbmills

In order to achieve more consistent rimshots (especially at low volumes) I've modified all of my snare drums. I changed out the hoops for thin 1.6 gauge triple flange for more flex. I also tune the head as loose as it can go while still articulating rolls in the center. This just makes for more forgiving surfaces to hit between the two of them. Consider that versus die cast hoops on a very tight drumhead and it make sense which one will be easier to hit consistent shots on.

I mostly play matched grip and have no difficulty maintaining the right rimshot position once I've played one correctly, typically on the first or second stroke. It's really just a matter of knowing where the drum sits in relation to where your hand lands. I know that's obvious, but that's all it is. And of course, that comes through practice, and consistent set-up. When I sit at a different kit, it takes 3 or 4 strokes to find that spot, and it is slightly more difficult to be consistent.

But there's a real difference between matched and traditional grip. With matched, I have basically one movement: bring the stick down to the snare in a single motion. That is, the stick itself travels in a single direction. With traditional, you not only bring your arm and hand down, but you're rotating the stick as well, so you have to monitor not only where your arm stops, but where the rotation of the stick lands. From your perspective, the stick is basically moving in two directions, and is therefore twice as tricky to get consistency with a rimshot. It's certainly not impossible, but you are faced with an additional consideration in landing the stick in the sweet spot.

As already stated, it's a matter of practice. And I'll add that a consistent set-up will keep you from having to 're-learn' your technique every time you play.

Bermuda

In order to achieve more consistent rimshots (especially at low volumes) I've modified all of my snare drums. I changed out the hoops for thin 1.6 gauge triple flange for more flex. I also tune the head as loose as it can go while still articulating rolls in the center. This just makes for more forgiving surfaces to hit between the two of them. Consider that versus die cast hoops on a very tight drumhead and it make sense which one will be easier to hit consistent shots on.

my current set up is die cast hoops with very high tuning hmmm

As already stated, it's a matter of practice. And I'll add that a consistent set-up will keep you from having to 're-learn' your technique every time you play.

Bermuda

yes this is another problem from changing my set up daily for students then practice etc... issues that need to be identified before they can be addressed.

3 great considerations from this thread so far cheers!

i can get those high pitch rim shots easier, especially with my right hand, but to get the stick in the middle of the head (or even just beyond; which sounds nice on my snare) is hard...

remember when doing a deeper rimshot like those, its not the tip of the stick thats making the most contact w the head. its the shoulder and tapered parts of the stick. its why you can get more volume and a much deeper pitch.

It's really just a matter of knowing where the drum sits in relation to where your hand lands. I know that's obvious, but that's all it is. And of course, that comes through practice, and consistent set-up. When I sit at a different kit, it takes 3 or 4 strokes to find that spot, and it is slightly more difficult to be consistent.

excellent point.
my snare stick usually rests in that sweet spot, on both hoop and head.

this whole thing is kinda like KNOWING where the bell on your ride is... ha

ps.....
i play matched 90% of the time, and w trad, its definitely harder to get RS consistency and power volumes, but its not impossible. i love trad bc i usually stay more away from a RS on every backbeat.

Last edited:
Rim shot consistency is pretty much why I ended up switching from traditional to matched once and for all.. Definitely not saying it can't be done though.

I'd recommend just starting with the most basic beat you can at midtempo, get them shots going on 2 and 4, and lay on that for a while.. then start adding little obstacles one by one. A ghost note here, another one there, while making sure you're able to get right back to that same rim shot sound. Then when you're ready, do a short fill and try to get right back to the rim shots by the following backbeat. It definitely takes time... lots and lots, but it's worth it once you get it, and it's not the kind of thing that requires maintenance. Once you have it, you have it. At least in my experience

I once read that practicing flams as rimshots was a great way to learn them, I guess because you have to focus closely on the timing of your strokes, which makes you focus on the accuracy as well, or something... But that's not how I did it. I just kept trying whenever I played my kit to make every backbeat a rimshot and I eventually got it. The 'shallow' rimshot idea is great too, where the tip hits closer to the edge and the shoulder catches the rim. I play matched, so I imagine trad grip is somewhat more difficult. Try doing six stroke rolls and doing both accents as a rimshot. Practice them on your toms as well,

It's really just a matter of knowing where the drum sits in relation to where your hand lands. I know that's obvious, but that's all it is. And of course, that comes through practice, and consistent set-up. When I sit at a different kit, it takes 3 or 4 strokes to find that spot, and it is slightly more difficult to be consistent.

I agree with Jon, once your setting are established, and the setting "hands vs snare" is adjusted to your playing preferences, it should be an easy task, I use a lot for rimshots for the backbeats and fills on the snare, and it's not a problem, having said that, I sometimes have a missed rimshot when I hit some toms or floor toms though, especialy during fast fills :)

Consistent rim shots just come with practice and experience, in my experience. I remember having the worst time with rim shot consistency for the longest time until one day I could just do them. I didn't change anything or specifically practice rimshots. I just got to a comfort level with the drum that my body knew what to do to rimshot.

I need to sort out doing rimshots. There's one of my bands tunes they would fit well. Had a bit of a practice today and my left hand has hurt ever since tho

Have you thought about switching to matched grip for those times that you need steady rim shots? This isn't the first time I've heard rim shots w/ trad grip woes.

I don't think hoops make any difference...that just sounds like a preference. I can hit consistent shots on any type of snare/hoop, once I've spent a few secs getting comfy.

In my loud rock band, I'm swatting rimshots, at full volume, almost the entire time. Playing smaller spots where I need to be more subtle, since folks are ordering food and want to hear themselves talking over the music, really pointed out the same flaws for me. It's juuuust loud enough that I had to learn how to hit rim shots consistently, with the sticks about an inch off the head. I can see how it might be more challenging w/ trad grip.

I need to sort out doing rimshots. There's one of my bands tunes they would fit well. Had a bit of a practice today and my left hand has hurt ever since tho

I just relax and bring my hand an inch or two back from my normal playing position. By normal playing position, I mean tips in the center of the head. Bring your hand back, keeping your hand at the same height, and soon you'll start hitting rimshots. You don't have to play hard or more tense. Just let it happen.

I just relax and bring my hand an inch or two back from my normal playing position. By normal playing position, I mean tips in the center of the head. Bring your hand back, keeping your hand at the same height, and soon you'll start hitting rimshots. You don't have to play hard or more tense. Just let it happen.
I'll try it. Normal place I hit the snare is about 2" in from the rim. Doing rimshots today I was hitting rim and my normal place on the head - imagine a tangent 2" inside the rim

Single Stroke Roll with rimshots, Ruffs with Rimshot accents. You will get there quicker playing them one after the other rather than just as a backbeat and it will make sound far more consitant when applying them with fills ect. Also going from Rack Tom to rim shot, mine defo got a lot better running RLKK with rims, back and forth between floor and rack to snare. Its just an aim thing. I can play any set up now as long the snares, aux or whatever are somewhere handy with in 5 mins im hitting consitant rims. Its defo a hand eye co-ordiantion thing, obvs if you play the same set up muscle memory kicks in, but i play some random aux snare set ups, it dont take me long to get my eye in.

My problem now is how not to play a rimshot!!! i have to switch to trad haha

I'll try it. Normal place I hit the snare is about 2" in from the rim. Doing rimshots today I was hitting rim and my normal place on the head - imagine a tangent 2" inside the rim

That's not really a rimshot, its more like a ping shot, which are much harder. There are generally three types of rimshots: glock, rimshot, and a ping. All of them are still rim and head hitting at the same time. The difference is where the tip of the stick hits.

-A glock is a rimshot where the tip of the stick hits in the middle of the head. Very deep, throaty sounding.
-The rimshot is, what I described, slightly off center. Balanced sound: loud, cutting, deep, and bright all at once.
-And a ping is a rim shot where the tip of the stick hits close to the edge, sometimes at a large angle to the rim. Very high pitched and ringy, usually a much quieter rimshot effect.

If thats the sound you prefer, then have at it. But I'd consider revisiting stick placement. It'll be easier to get a better sounding rimshot and note over all.

That's not really a rimshot, its more like a ping shot, which are much harder. There are generally three types of rimshots: glock, rimshot, and a ping. All of them are still rim and head hitting at the same time. The difference is where the tip of the stick hits.

-A glock is a rimshot where the tip of the stick hits in the middle of the head. Very deep, throaty sounding.
-The rimshot is, what I described, slightly off center. Balanced sound: loud, cutting, deep, and bright all at once.
-And a ping is a rim shot where the tip of the stick hits close to the edge, sometimes at a large angle to the rim. Very high pitched and ringy, usually a much quieter rimshot effect.

If thats the sound you prefer, then have at it. But I'd consider revisiting stick placement. It'll be easier to get a better sounding rimshot and note over all.
Oh, OK. Yes, I like the pingy metallic sound I get from normal snare hits where I hit it 2" in, so I just added a rim hit to what I do normally. I'll try the 'glock' out tho. Thanks

"The first, most common type of rimshot is the normal rimshot. This is played with the bead (tip) of the stick about three inches from the rim. This produces a prominent, accented tone. The second is called a "ping shot". In a ping shot, the bead is oriented much closer to the rim, about one inch." from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimshot

Back