Blast beats

its called inverted blast beat...? Blast beat are simply hi-hat+bass drum and then snare and then start again until you are bored of it. Really simple. The only tips is to practice. It like a single stroke roll using your feet every 2 note

Isnt a gravity blast 32nd notes or snare (using rimroll) and 16th on double bass and HH

Raymond Bloom said:
blasts alternating hands? well, it's called the single stroke roll :D

that is just one way. there are more

ill notate

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_
_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s
b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_

single kick bomb blast

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_
s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_
b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_

single kick cannibal blast

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_
s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_
_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b_b

hand/foot roll blast

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_
ssssssssssssssssssssssss
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

thats a gravity blast with a double kick

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_
_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_
s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_s_
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

bomb and cannibal with double kick

it's pretty clear by now that there are plenty of blast beat patterns, but just to illustrate how versatile the patterns can be, just listen to Dillenger Escape Plan and see how their drummer changes his blast rhythms according to what meter and rhythms the band is playing.

Blast beats are gnarly..but they can get old after awhile. But it's the funniest thing seeing someone's face when they do blast beats though lol.

Re: Blast Beats

tambian89 said:
Nice choice of Quotes. This is exactly how I learned how to count Blast Beats. Start at a slower speed, maybe around 90 bpm, and then gradually get faster. Death Metal drummers usually go above 180 bpm, Thrash metal drummers around 130 or so.

- Marc

Death metal guys go to around 250bpm!

The Blast Beat

I was wondering what you all think of the blast beat. I dont want this to turn into a big "DEATH METAL SUXXX!!!11111!!!!!" thread so just give your opinion and facts to back it up with. I personally LOVE it, mostly because i'm a huge metal head. I love to play it, i love to listen to it. It is great for death metal because it's BR00TAL just like the music.

ONCE AGAIN***************** NO BASHING MUSIC OR EACHOTHER, JUST DISCUSSION.

Thank you all for your opinions :)

Re: The Blast Beat

Before you judge what I'm about to say, keep in mind that I'm a metal fan as well.

In some cases, the blast beat fits with the music very well and is a very appropriate groove to play in that situation.

For example, in "Rose of Sharyn" by Killswitch Engage, drummer Justin Foley plays a blast beat with a syncopated guitar melody. The bass guitar is on the down beat (which is mimicked by the bass drum) and the guitars play the melody on the upbeat (snare drum), thus creating a very complimentary blast beat pattern.

However, sometimes I feel like blast beats are metal dummers copping out of a cool groove that could be there by just bashing away.

I'll pick on Justin Foley of KsE again so I don't seem biased in any way.

In the song "A Bid Farewell," once the second guitar riff is going (after the first verse) Foley plays a blast that seems very out of place to me. That song is an example of where blast beats aren't quite the most apporpriate groove for the application.

Don't get me wrong, I love metal and KsE is probably one of my top ten bands. I just think that the blast beat should only be used to compliment music, not take away from it.

Re: The Blast Beat

if it fits it fits. If i have to a hear a solo of it i think it is total garbage. absolute banging + no creativity = blast beat lol

Back