Looking for snare recommendations

voldak

I have had a DW Collector's edition brass snare for about 12 years now as my main snare, and I am looking for something different.

I am not wanting to stick with a brass snare. I am looking to move away from that. I really want something with a big fat sound, that isn't too low. I am not really sure what type of wood/metal I am wanting, but I am wanting something different. I just want a pronounced sound that will cut through the band, and sound great without being too much like tin.

Any thoughts?

I have had a DW Collector's edition brass snare for about 12 years now as my main snare, and I am looking for something different.

I am not wanting to stick with a brass snare. I am looking to move away from that. I really want something with a big fat sound, that isn't too low. I am not really sure what type of wood/metal I am wanting, but I am wanting something different. I just want a pronounced sound that will cut through the band, and sound great without being too much like tin.

Any thoughts?

Go aluminium. Supraphonic or Acrolite. You'll be happy you did.

well .If money is not a problem ,i ll go for a dunnette stainless ,its a workhorse you can play it, hi or low always sounds superb.or go for a brady jarrah blok .

LM400 or LM402. There is a reason why they are considered legendary. All the drum you will ever need.

+1...Think Ludwig LM 400 or LM 402.Or the LM404 Acrolite which when bought used,can be had for around 100 US.

Same shell as the supraphonic,just different finish and lugs, usually 8 as opposed to the usual 10 on a supra

But (there's that but again),there are the rare LM 404 ,5" 10 lug acros(not the 6.5 ) and LM 400 5" 8 lug supras out there.

Yes Jules and Larry...they are in fact out there.

Steve B

I did some research on a LM400 and the LM402. The LM402 sounds amazing. It is really what I am going for. I would also be interested in a LM404, just not sure where I can find it for around $100. I am going to keep my search up and try to find something. I don't live in a large area, so it is extremely difficult to find specific musical items locally.

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

Any thoughts?

Hey voldak,

I recently also made a switch from DW Collector's Brass 5.5 X 14" to a Ludwig 402 6.5 x 14" snare. It is awesome! I am very happy with my purchase. It has a lot of character, very sensitive, great range, and covers so much ground. The extra depth gives the snare just the right amount of thoaty body that is hard to get out of shallower snares. It is a great all around snare that you will not be disappointed in.

This is one of those few snares that I would feel comfortable telling someone that they could buy sight unseen if they had to. Good luck with your decision! And let us know what you get!

-RB

Thanks for the comments everyone. Due to budgetary concerns (and my fear of not using my trusted DW brass), I am going to go with a Ludwig Supralite 6.5x14. It seems like a solid choice. The 402 looks like an excellent choice, but price is king for me since some cymbal upgrades are much needed currently.

Thanks everyone!

Back