Steve Fidyk here!

Steve Fidyk

Hi everyone,

Steve Fidyk here....

I'm excited to say that this is my first time posting on drummer world!! I've been a fan of this site for a very long time and admire the contributions it has made to drumming. I have a number of friends and students who visit often so I thought I would join the family too!!

Re: welcome post from Steve Fidyk

Welcome, it's good to have you here. It's certainly a great source for info, finding new music, advice on gear, etc.

Re: welcome post from Steve Fidyk

I have been a friend and student of Steve's for years. Not only is he an amazing player, but he has a gift of being an outstanding educator. Every lesson with him is an eye-opening experience. It's a pleasure to have him here on Drummerworld to share his insight on drumming.

Hey Steve,
I know you probably do not remember me, but I met you at the Midwest Conference in Chicago this passed year (2 years ago) I was the kid you talked to after your clinic. Thanks for that, you changed the way I think about big band drumming. Not only that you are an incredible drummer. Let me know when you'll be in the Michigan area.

Jay

Welcome Steve. You sound great.

Maybe you know my friend Tom Baldwin? Ill hopefully be playing with him at the Ithaca College reunion concert in April.

And Ive enjoyed a couple gigs with Chris Valdala whom Im sure you have played with a lot...He has GREAT things to say about you!

This IS a great site.

Tom K

Steve! I credit my extreme advancement in independence this year to your book. Jazz Drum Set Independence in 3/4, 4/4, & 5/4 Time Signature!

Great Book! This is one book I feel all drummers should own!

Hey Bill!

Good to hear from you man~ Happy New Year. If you get up to MD anytime, drop me a line so we can hook up.

Take care, Steve

Hey man.

checked out your website, due to Jeff's recommendation. I love it. Good layout, and helpful materials.

I noticed under the clinic section you talk about working with a click to develop 'relative tempo'.

Do you believe there's such a thing as 'perfect' or 'absolute' tempo, and how would you develop that?

Welcome Steve! I have your book and I really like it! It's very easy to understand and it works!
It is the MELBAY'S MODERN DRUM METHOD GRADE 1!

Hi Steve, I enjoyed you're playing on the Maureen McGovern video. It looked like it was a TV fundaiser. I have two questions: First what snare did you use ? It sounded great ! Secondly: Are you in the US Army full time? Do they let you do civilian gigs on the side ? Thanks !

Modern Drum Method Grade 1

Welcome Steve! I have your book and I really like it! It's very easy to understand and it works!
It is the MELBAY'S MODERN DRUM METHOD GRADE 1!

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Modern Drum Method Vol. 1~

This method is part one of a three part series that I've written for Mel Bay (the other two books will be presented in 2110/2111). They are meant to help a student develop fundamentals such as the various hand holds and stick positions, reading note and rest values, developing basic coordination of your hands and feet and basic beat structures.

Grades 2 and 3 deal with more advanced concepts such as The Moeller Technique, style analysis of Brazilian and Afro-Cuban music plus the history and development of the drum set throughout the 20th century.

Most importantly, I wrote all (3) method books so that a student can pick them up and work through the material presented sequentially without the aid of a teacher.

Thanks for writing~

Steve

Hi Steve, I enjoyed you're playing on the Maureen McGovern video. It looked like it was a TV fundaiser. I have two questions: First what snare did you use ? It sounded great ! Secondly: Are you in the US Army full time? Do they let you do civilian gigs on the side ? Thanks !

Hi Jeremy,

That video was from an appearance I did as a guest with Maureen McGovern on the 2004 Jerry Lewis Telethon. The band was full of LA studio musicians to include Rick Baptist on lead trumpet!! I sat in on the drum set that was provided which I believe was a Pork Pie Kit. The snare was tensioned fairly tight providing a crisp response~

Yes, I'm a member of the U.S. Army Blues Jazz Ensemble here in Washington DC. To check out the band, visit youtube and do a search. There are some pretty good footage from a Buddy Rich Tribute we gave.

Thanks for writing!

Steve

Hey Steve, it was great to run into you at PASIC! How's that Zildjian prototype overhammered ride working out? I called that one out as the pick of the litter (before you'd bought it).

Happy new year, Bill

I'm not sure how I missed this thread. I've never seen it before.

Anyway, I love your work, Mr. Fidyk. Thank you for all your contributions.

For those that don't know it yet. Steve Fidyk has a really nice article in the new issue (June 2013) of Modern Drummer on playing brushes.

Hi everyone,

Steve Fidyk here....

I'm excited to say that this is my first time posting on drummer world!! I've been a fan of this site for a very long time and admire the contributions it has made to drumming. I have a number of friends and students who visit often so I thought I would join the family too!!

Mr. Fidyk it's a pleasure have you here, hope to catch all your new threads!
Best.

Back