My good old DW's

Nice kit i like it a lot, wish i had DW's

Thank you for the comments. I really enjoy playing these drums. I was very fortunate when I got this kit. When I got my 1st set of DW's, I wasn't even shopping for drums, I was looking at PA stuff, but the price was right. You just never know when a killer deal will fall into your lap!!

I think I am going to coated myself. Which ones though???

At first, I didn't like the the coated G2's as much as I like the coated Emperors, but now after some more tuning I have got them sounding very nice and they have grown on me.

The Evans are brighter sounding than the remo's on my DW's. I haven't tried the G1's on them yet though.

I noticed you got some new batter heads, but did you finally replace those resonant heads also? If you did, I'm sure you noticed a big difference, correct?

Sorry about the delay in replying, but I overlooked your post. I have not replaced the resonants yet. It just about destroyed my wife that I spent $75 on new heads. I am still planning too, but have to wait a little while. Just replacing the batters gave quite a bit of life back to them, they are full of tone again.

wow, nice kit dude.

what are you using as a batter head on that cannon of a bass drum?

Hey drumrO!

Don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but that is one gorgeous kit man!!

I saw a DW set at my local drum shop this afternoon, and I'm not certain if they were the same finish as yours or if the broken glass comes in white? But I can tell you this -- I almost wet my pants they look so good in person! They totally wowed me!

I have a set of the Audix drum mics, and I love them. Glad to hear you were impressed with em, there are lots of sound engineers that are recommending them once they hear how well they perform. Good mics without spending a fortune.

I have three kits, with different heads on all of them, so IMHO it takes a little playing around to find the ones that will give you the best sound on a particular drum. For example, I tried EC2's on one kit, and they sounded completely dead, but on another of my kits they sound awesome.

Anyway, I really just wanted to comment on what a fantastic kit you have!

heeey. nice set. that's real purdy. there's something about pearly white sets.

how do you like that hi hat combo? I've been trying to figure out which paistes to get to about complete my setup.

Thanks guys for the comments!!

Nimby: I have a clear EMAD 2 and have been very happy with it. Its tuned super low for the thunderous effect. I have read from other posters that they thought that the EMAD was too "clicky" sounding. Behind the kit, mine is clicky too, but in front of it, it is not at all.

Norske: You are definitely right about drum head selection on certain drums. A friend of mine has a DW collectors with EC2's on them and they have way too much overtone. He has to run the Remo-rings on them to settle them down. Those Audix mics are really sweet. I hope one day to own some myself.

Vedox: Back when I bought those cymbals I thought it was a sin to mix brands and I couldn't
find the sound I was looking for with the Paiste Signatures they had in stock. So I asked, and they told me I could mix and match. After some trial and error I came up with the Dark Crisp bottom and a Power top. I cracked my Power top so I just flipped them over and they still sound great.

...Drumr0

I don't know how I overlooked this thread before either, but I think that already know my opinion regarding white marine pearl.

I like your post on the history of your kit, and aside from the first screw up, it is nice to see that DW made good.

I have been playing DW for the past six years, but the kit that I refer to as "mine" I have owned for almost three years. I hope that it lasts for another twenty.

Once again, very nice kit, and it is great to have another brother in the DWWMP club.

Barry

I don't know if it's perception, maybe it is... but FOR ME at least, DWs from that era sound better than the ones being made now... back then, I guess, it was a more hands on, fewer kits operation... DW from the early mid 90's just have a massive sound... beautiful tone and perfect tuenability... and time has shown they REALLY hold up well... love your kit man!

DMC: Thank you for the kind comments, it means a lot to me coming from you.

baz: Thank you for the comments, DW did me right on the first kit. Even though, I believe, my first kit sounded a little better than these, they are mellowing out nicely. Also, I do enjoy being a part of the DWWMP club. It's just such a great color.

Guillermo: I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with you. There is something about the late 80's and early 90's DW kits. Maybe it's the Keller shells, or just how the wood mellows with age, but my drums just have so much tone and volume and I do love the way they sound. I think Mendozart would agree with this too. I would love to hear his '89 Dubs!

I had an interesting gig the other night at a church that I sub at every now and then, my band played there for the first time. We had a great time. Their drummer has a beautiful set of DW collectors in the Natural finish with gold hardware, he is quite anal about keeping them clean and looking perfect (which is a good thing). I hate playing them because they are SO clean that I don't want to even put a stick mark on them.

Comparing my drums to his...His kick sounded better, mine has an EMAD 2 he has an Aquarian Super Kick 2, He has the DW res with the little holes around the edge and mine has a 6" port hole so I'm sure that made a difference

He has a gorgeous DW EDGE snare which sounds incredible. My plain old DW snare sounds just about as good as his. I was surprised actually.

My toms blew his away. He is running the clear EC2's and I am running white coated G2's. Mine just have a lot more tone where his were quite dead comparably.

Attachments

• P3300003-1.jpg
    P3300003-1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 568
  • P3300006.jpg
    P3300006.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 547
Hello all,
I thought I would post some pics of my DW's

1994 Drum Workshop 6 piece White Marine Pearl wrap (Keller shells)
Power tom configuration
10", 12", 14", 16"
6.5"x14" DW maple snare
18"x 22" Kick

Heads: All toms have Remo white coated emperors
Snare: Remo CS batter with reverse dot
Kick: Evans Emad2 (which I absolutely love!!)

RIMS mounting system with Tama style brackets
Gibraltar rack

DW 5000 double pedal (which is my crutch for a slow foot)
DW 5000 Hi Hat stand

Cymbals:
14" Paiste Signature Power hi hat top & Signature dark crisp bottom
16" Sabian AAX stage crash
10" Sabian AAX splash
8" Sabian AAX splash
18" Paiste Signature Full crash
20" Paiste Signature Power ride
14" Sabian B8 Pro mini china

CAD mics (yes they are cheap, but better than nothing!! and the condensers sound real nice!!) The tom mics are internally mounted thanks to some inspiriation from Nutha Jason.
Behringer board to sub mix

The older these get the better they sound. (I am the original owner).

very impressive kit. one question though. i noticed you have a mic mounted on the inside of the tom and was woundering if that affects the sound any different than mounting it on the rim on the outside. never thought about micing the inside before.

♪♫Aaron♫♪;618790 said:
very impressive kit. one question though. i noticed you have a mic mounted on the inside of the tom and was woundering if that affects the sound any different than mounting it on the rim on the outside. never thought about micing the inside before.

Thanks!

There are definitely benefits from internal miking. Sound isolation and taking the mics out of harms way.

I did have them mounted on the inside of the drums, but have since removed them. They worked fine and sounded good like that. Most of the time, I've seen folks mount an XLR adapter in the side of the toms. I didn't want to drill a hole so I took the cable apart, ran it through the vent hole and put it back together. The only thing I didn't like about that was when I didn't need to mic them I still had to deal with the cables.

I also like the look of the mics on the drums too for some reason, even though they are cheap CAD's.

Back