What food do drummers find has the most rejuvenating power...

pizza and red bull or coffee. clearly not the healthiest option, but if you need something for quick results, this works for me.

I'd have to vote for:

• wraps
  • rolls with fancy fills
  • tom yum
  • crab Paiste on toast

Can't believe I'm the first!

Davo

Don't forget the chicken drum sticks!

Dear God.

Beer really isn't good, but if life isn't worth living without it, then so be it. Definitely cut right back on the bread though. Mr Madge has done a beer/bread trade-off and it's worked for him.

I've just invented fruit: gives me an energy boost without sending me beserk, unlike coffee which has me climbing the walls and gives me the shakes.

Beer really isn't good, but if life isn't worth living without it, then so be it.

Totally agree.

One has to sometimes realise one's limitations and be honest to oneself :)

Thanks again, to everyone, for the advice...really useful stuff which will be put into practice.

Nutrition could be THE most important subject when it comes to the human machine. You really have to be diligent about what you fuel yourself with. Foods that are really great for you? By and large they are not advertised. You have to seek them out. Hempseed, flaxseed, moringa, chia seeds, grass fed free range meats, true organically produced fruits and vegtables...right down to unfluoridated water...you really have to expend some energy and extra money to get the best fuel. But the rewards are so worth it.

The major corporations and your leaders have no problems with you consuming sugary drinks, pre packaged foods, GMO's and all the non foods that are pushed on kids...but you should. Things like Red Bull? That's bad sh*t and has no business in your body.

Egyptians had beer, pretty sure the Germans came afterward. I like the quote. "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".

Egyptians had beer, pretty sure the Germans came afterward. I like the quote. "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".

Amen to that brother

Full blooded German I think we invented the stuff or at least how to mass produce it

Sorry dude; you guys are really good at making it, but when it comes to abusing it, you're outclassed by the shamrocks.

What's scary is I'm 1/2 German and 1/2 Irish by blood. LOL

Might as well go ahead and get your name on the liver transplant list. sounds like the odds are in your favor

Any type of nut....Cashew, almonds, Macadamia, etc has always worked good for me.
And PLENTY of water.

D

Ill throw my .02 in since I think I may have a couple of decent viewpoints to toss at ya. I was an AHL (ice hockey) referee for 18 years while doing my drumming gigs as well. Diet plays a huge role in how your body performs. Drumming and refereeing have a lot in common - long duration / high intensity / demanding. I would recommend a slow release carb as mentioned above (brown rice / sweet potato, etc) supplemented by a fast release just prior and during performance (something like GU or Egel). Have some protein, but not a long digestion protein (red meat) Next to consider is your hydration...STAY HYDRATED!!!! no booze, water, or better - coconut water which contains potassium and has similar effects to a banana. If you follow these general guidelines, you will be fine for the 3-4 hours on stage. Here's my regimen

5-6 hrs prior to gig: Eat pasta/chicken meal/fish meal. Fresh fruit and veggies are great at this point as well
30 mins prior to stage: begin to drink 1L of coconut water - take balance of unfinished on stage to consume when time permits. Take 1 Gu/eGel packet with water.
Between sets: Take 1 GU or eGel packet with water

After gig: 1-2 beers to counter the effect of adrenaline in the system.

You should have no issue with doing nightly gigs.

Cheers!

F

!!!! You drink a litre before going on stage?! I hope the set is short and the run to the bathroom is quick.

I sweat it all out....I rarely tinkle during/after a gig. After all these years, I know how my body works...a litre is just the right amount for me.

F

Hydration is critical if you will be playing hard. Beforehand, stick with fruits. High in natural sugar for energy, enough carbs for staying power, and good taste. Drink lots of water.

!!!! You drink a litre before going on stage?! I hope the set is short and the run to the bathroom is quick.

But unlike regular water, Coconut water is full of natural electrolytes, so your body absorbs it much better, and as a result you don't have to run to the rest room in the same way, and you actually stay hydrated.

Back