Most Under-rated Drummers

BILLY COBHAM!!! One of the greatest jazz drummers ever! Notice I say ONE OF the greatest. his playing is so loose and groovy, and he has speed that I cannot even imagine!!!!

peace
AGR

Hmmm...
Don't know if I ever thought of Billy Cobham as under-rated...

The kid from Tokyo Police Club is pretty good. They're becoming one of my favorite new bands.

---LG

Tico Torres - Here about the band but not much about him.
Tyler Stewart- Barenaked Ladies. you never hear much about him but he can play.

I think that Chris Vrenna is an extremely under-rated musician. His work with Nine Inch Nails is just incredible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was still in NIN when they wrote The Perfect Drug which has some of the best drumming in all of their work. I just wish they would play that song at their concerts. That reminds me, does anyone know who's touring with them this year and who's doing the studio work for the new album? I know that for With Teeth Dave Grohl did a lot of it, and Jerome Dillon toured with them.

We all know MEG WHITE is the most under rated drummer ever...come on guys lets get serious here ;)

Does anyone else here think that the Bloc Party drummer Matt Tong deserves a little more recognition?

Does anyone else here think that the Bloc Party drummer Matt Tong deserves a little more recognition?

You know what, when I first heard him, I thought he was really good. Then he got pretty annoying. His fills are somewhat sloppy and repetitive. I love Bloc Party though, I'm just pissed that they opened up for Panic at the Disco....god I hate that band!

Richie Morales.
Richard Bailey.
Anton Fier.
Narada Michael Waldon.
Joey Heredia.
Ndugu Chancler.
Marvin Smith.
Don Brewer.

Here's three I can add:

1.) Cliff Davies - Ted Nugents' drummer from 1975 - 1981. Always kept up with the
Nuge with his steady pounding. Not to mention his knack for music production.

2.) Kenny Aronoff - Just an awesome studio drummer. Everybody wanted this guy to record with them in the '80s and '90s. And he's still busy today! He doesn't get enough recognition for his outstanding career and ability.

3.) Timm Biery - Frank Marinos' drummer from 1981 - 1991. A tremendously talented drummer who has incredible timing, speed, and intricate chops. I saw him in 1983 in a small club near Baltimore, and I was FLOORED by this guy. I was watching and listening to him as much, if not more, than I was Marino. I believe he's currently touring with Nils Lofgren, and I highly recommend to go see him live. You won't be dissapointed! Play On!! ;-)

Last edited:
Underated- Anton Fig.

His stuff with Frehley's Comet, and Ace's solo stuff was awesome.

Last edited:
Hmmm...
Don't know if I ever thought of Billy Cobham as under-rated...

Well why not? I never hear him on anything. The only reason I happened to fall upon him was because I was doing some random browsing, here when I was new and came across him. He is and amazing fusion drummer. you have to love Birds Of Fire, one ofmy favorites and fun to play along to.

Peace
AGR

Well, I have to concur with LinearDrummer that Billy Cobham is NOT under-rated by any stretch of the imagination. He's a "Drum God" according to Modern Drummer and one of the most creative drummers ever. He's been in the industry for 40 years and has given us drumming that revolutionized the 70's and his ability is legendary. And is still marveled at today. He also broke the mold with his ambidextrous style of playing. To say he is under-rated couldn't be further from the truth. His "body of work" speaks for itself. Play On!

Well, I have to concur with LinearDrummer that Billy Cobham is NOT under-rated by any stretch of the imagination. He's a "Drum God" according to Modern Drummer and one of the most creative drummers ever. He's been in the industry for 40 years and has given us drumming that revolutionized the 70's and his ability is legendary. And is still marveled at today. He also broke the mold with his ambidextrous style of playing. To say he is under-rated couldn't be further from the truth. His "body of work" speaks for itself. Play On!

Agree with ya'll. Cobham is in no way under-rated. If you personally are not familiar with him, that does not equate to under-rated. A drummer from the same era, within the same early fusion genre, that IS under-rated would be (IMO) Lenny White. Under-rated in the sense that he does not get a lot of "press" here and that Cobham probably overshadowed him...perhaps, IMHO....

I think Billy moving to Europe lowered his profile a bit in the US. The same thing seems to have happened to Kenny Clarke and a number of others.

I'm suprised people think guys like Aronoff and ?uestlove are underated seeing as though they keep winning MD readers polls.

I think Billy moving to Europe lowered his profile a bit in the US. The same thing seems to have happened to Kenny Clarke and a number of others.

I'm suprised people think guys like Aronoff and ?uestlove are underated seeing as though they keep winning MD readers polls.

Hello wy yung. The reason I think Kenny Aronoff is under-rated is that no one outside of the music business seems to want to ever mention him and what he's accomplished. Yes, the people he works with and has contact with think the world of him. But everyone else acts like they don't know him and what he's contributed to so many different artists throughout his career. He's one of my favorite drummers that no one seems to mention. Thanks...Play On!

Modern drummer does do that, I understand, (especially with Neil Peart) But he really doesnt get any recognition anywhere else, as far as I know. I could be wrong, but I doubt I am.

Peace
AGR

Back