Considering a new kit

dewees

Hey All,

So, after many, many years of playing a 1987 Yamaha Tour Custom kit, I'm thinking about getting a new set. I absolutely love the sound of the shells (6 ply birch/mohagany -- remo clear pinstripe heads) and the bullet proof hardware. They sound great live and in studio.

After reading this forum (thanks for the great info!) and searching around, the drum world seems upside down to me. I'm looking for a birch-based kit that allows: 22x14, 12, 13, 16, 18 configuration and in something like a sunburst finish.

It seems like many brands have upgraded hardware and tom mounting methods have improved, which is good. But, it also looks like marketing/sales have shifted materials to other woods (maple, oak, etc.) and toward different sized toms.

I think my current set is a 60 degree bearing edge -- can someone explain why everything has moved to 30-45 degree? Should I worry about bearing edge -- or is this another marketing tactic?

Lastly, what the hell happened to Yamaha!? I read about the split from Sakae and it looks like Yamaha has a very limited production today as they ramp the factory in China. I absolutely love these Tour Customs -- what kits do you all think I should look at considering what I'm looking for? I wanted to stay loyal to Yamaha, but looks like limited options on that front. Budget -- I'd like to stay under $2K, but want to understand the trade offs.

Look forward to the ideas and discussion...and thanks!

Sakae (Japanese drum factory) gave Yamaha the boot so Yamaha went 100% china.

Those rock sizes are not so common, it's mostly fusion sizes these days.

Sonor s-classix? Mapex Orion? Yamaha recording custom?

You say you want a new kit, but then you say what your looking for is something near identical to the one you have.

So, it begs the question, why even bother getting a new kit?

agree with the above post, it really sounds like you are looking for what you already have.
22 x 14 bass drum will not be an easy find unless custom ordered - many are 22 x 16,17,18

for the sizes you state, you might wish to get an older kit in good shape, though a 60 degree edge may not exist on those either

So, after many, many years of playing a 1987 Yamaha Tour Custom kit, I'm thinking about getting a new set. I absolutely love the sound of the shells (6 ply birch/mohagany -- remo clear pinstripe heads) and the bullet proof hardware. They sound great live and in studio.

You have a major problem here.
I think you will find it difficult to be happy with a new kit. That kit is out there, but because you are so happy with the sound of the kit you have, I think you will have a hard time finding one you like.

Maybe you should rent a few shell packs for the gigs you are playing so you can find the one you like. Then buy one in the color you like.

Outside of your budget constraints, I think your best course of action if you want to stay true to Yamaha is to locate a Recording Custom kit in Antique Sunburst. There is a brand new discontinued kit for sale that would serve as a foundation for your kit here (14 X 22 kick, 9 X 13 tom, 16 X 16 floor tom):

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-RECORDING-CUSTOM-ANTIQUE-SUNBURST-22-13-16-FRESH-FROM-JAPAN-/120904530563?pt=US_Drums&hash=item1c2678ba83

This may be your last chance to locate a new 14 X 22" Yamaha kick drum in Antique Sunburst finish. When Yamaha announced it was discontinuing many of its series before moving operations to China all 14" deep kick drums from the Japanese warehouse immediately sold out. Most of these 14" deep kick drums were purchased by recording studios and likely won't be re-sold any time soon.

Using this kit as a foundation you could continue to search for add ons in the Antique Sunburst finish for your 12" rack and 18" floor tom when you have more money down the road. Just be sure to snag them up when you find them.

You say you want a new kit, but then you say what your looking for is something near identical to the one you have.

So, it begs the question, why even bother getting a new kit?

Good point but you obviously have forgotten about the dreaded G.A.S......

Another happy Tour Custom owner. I've got a 88 model 5pc. power sizes. They've been great drums. I upgraded to 2009 Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau. When I first got them, I had the same heads on them as the tours. The drums sounded almost identical. I think you might like the Tama Starclassic Performer. That was the kit that I set out to buy, but I stumbled on the Yammies. The deal was too good to pass up. So I snagged them. I think the performers might be close to what you're looking for. I've always thought they sound great. Good luck on your search.

Funny that no one even mentions Pearl's offerings. They also make solid birch, solid maple, the wonderful Reference and Reference Pure line, and the "whatever you want" Masterworks.

However, I'm also wondering why you'd want another kit if you're so happy with what you have. Look at Carter Beauford - he's been playing those Recording Customs for years now.

Thanks all for the replies.

Sorry I didn’t mention it in my original post, but I’m looking to get a new kit due to wear and tear on my existing one and to take advantage of what appear to be some hardware/build upgrades in new kits.

I considered the Yamaha Recording Custom, but worry about the discontinued impact on locating the shell sizes I’m looking for in matched finish...plus added cost.

I also looked at the Birch Custom Absolutes, but I think they are also discontinued, so same concern over finding the shell sizes I’m looking for anytime soon.

Anyone have thoughts on the Tama Starclassic performer? Another couple sets I'm looking at are the Pearl Session Studio Classic or the new Masters BCX…any thoughts on those kits? Others I should try to check out?

Thanks again!

Thanks all for the replies.

Sorry I didn’t mention it in my original post, but I’m looking to get a new kit due to wear and tear on my existing one and to take advantage of what appear to be some hardware/build upgrades in new kits.

I considered the Yamaha Recording Custom, but worry about the discontinued impact on locating the shell sizes I’m looking for in matched finish...plus added cost.

I also looked at the Birch Custom Absolutes, but I think they are also discontinued, so same concern over finding the shell sizes I’m looking for anytime soon.

Anyone have thoughts on the Tama Starclassic performer? Another couple sets I'm looking at are the Pearl Session Studio Classic or the new Masters BCX…any thoughts on those kits? Others I should try to check out?

Thanks again!

The Starclassic Birch/Bubinga is AMAZING. I played it and it was FINE. Think about it like this: if the Tama Silverstar is really good with stock heads, how good is the B/B going to be with Remos???

Spectacular

That's the answer

Word is that RCs will be back. Or, you could just buy Vinnie's old RCs for $10K. ;-)
http://bennettdrums.com/museum/vinnie-colaiuta-yamaha-recording-custom-set/

BTW, I bought Tour Customs in 1988 (my first Yamaha kit) and still have them. Although my size preferences are now different (these drums are way too deep for me now), they still sound great.

Good luck and enjoy your shopping experience!

Jason

Thanks! Anyone play on those Pearl kits and have an opinion about them?

I'm going to head to a drum shop soon and play on a few of these, but always good to hear what others think.

Also, anyone have an inside track on timing of RC's coming back?

Thanks again!

Birch Customs have been discontinued for a while.

Starclassic performers are pretty nice. Might be up your alley.

The Pearl Session Studio Classic would essentially be the same shell as your Tour Custom, but IMHO, the Yamaha shell was a little better made. Still, it might be close to the sound you're looking for.

I have been told by Yamaha they will re-debut at NAMM in January 2015. Although debut doesn't always mean in stores right away.

Thanks! Anyone play on those Pearl kits and have an opinion about them?

I'm going to head to a drum shop soon and play on a few of these, but always good to hear what others think.

If you are looking to stay around $2000, I don't think the new RC's will be in that price range. Here's an older Recording Series kit with 22x14, 12 13 16 in natural finish. These technically aren't RC's although the seller is calling them that. They were sold back in the 80's as Recording Standard, which means they didn't have a lacquer finish, but they have the same shells and hardware as RC's. The natural finish is highly sought after, but I think this kit is a bit over priced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yam...=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item20e8c0c9c3

Also, there is a guy in Maryland who has been trying to sell this RC kit for a while. Same sizes, in a rare Jade Green lacquer. This finish was only sold in Japan, and never sold in the US, so it is rare in these parts. Its on CL now:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/4479274223.html

If you are looking to stay around $2000, I don't think the new RC's will be in that price range. Here's an older Recording Series kit with 22x14, 12 13 16 in natural finish. These technically aren't RC's although the seller is calling them that. They were sold back in the 80's as Recording Standard, which means they didn't have a lacquer finish, but they have the same shells and hardware as RC's. The natural finish is highly sought after, but I think this kit is a bit over priced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Yam...=Vintgae_Drums_Percussion&hash=item20e8c0c9c3

Also, there is a guy in Maryland who has been trying to sell this RC kit for a while. Same sizes, in a rare Jade Green lacquer. This finish was only sold in Japan, and never sold in the US, so it is rare in these parts. Its on CL now:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/4479274223.html

Wow - that Jade Green kit is a great find! Thanks! I realize that the RC's might be a bit more expensive if they re-introduce the kit...but, I could probably find some more coins under couch cushions if needed for the right kit.

After a lot more online research into brands, kits, sizes and prices, I'm taking a look at a Yamaha Live Custom kit. I can grab the LC2F30J shell pack and add the 13x9 and 18x16. I took a long at a few other recent reviews of that kit in this forum and others, and it looks like a solid Yamaha kit. Only question is how the drums will sound being Oak compared to the Birch/Mahogany I'm used to playing... Any thoughts or reasons I should look at one of the Pearl or the Tama kits instead? Looks like retail would be ~$5K, but I could probably get it for ~$2700.

I haven't played the Live Custom, but I have an original Yamaha Oak Custom kit. The Oaks are a bit more aggressive sounding than either Tour Customs or RC's. For me, that's a good thing. It gives me a different dimension than my other Yamaha kits. The Oak toms really speak.

Back