Good short film about a drummer

I think you might all be reading too much into the Joey Jordison kit. I think it's just he has an old knackered kit, and that's a new kit he can't afford.../QUOTE]

Radio Kings or a brand new shiny JJ kit? I know what my choice would be. And I don't think Dave (in the film) would swap kits even if you paid him to

Last edited:
I thought that the movie had an interesting prospective.

I read thru the credits and the character "Dave" (real name Dave) did the studio tracks for the move as well, so he's a drummer for real I assume... I thought that was kinda neat.

If you're going to make a film about a drummer involving him playing the drums, the sensible thing to do is get a drummer to play the part of the drummer. Then you can film the drummer playing the drums. However, not many people are this sensible!

If you're going to make a film about a drummer involving him playing the drums, the sensible thing to do is get a drummer to play the part of the drummer. Then you can film the drummer playing the drums. However, not many people are this sensible!

The problem would be finding a drummer who could also act. Remember the Blues Bros - great film but you could tell who were musicians and who were actors.

Lots of musicians are actors too, especially singers. The two disciplines aren't that far apart in some ways.

I'm a drummer and an actor, neither of which I'm very good at. I'm also really ugly, so obviously the job offers are just rolling in. :D

Get that man on Zoloft now! Too depressed to open his mouth.

Fave scene was when it's he and the singer started Crescent Moon ... I loved the stark beauty of it and was disappointed when they added the other instruments.

Found it odd him looking wistfully at a metal kit ... I imagine most jazzers would prefer his lovely vintage kit over a metal kit? Maybe be was just wanting the new heads on it? After all, the big kit wan't going to fit on his trolley.

Either that or he was even thinking of crossing over to the dark side to make a living ...

Fave scene was when it's he and the singer started Crescent Moon ... I loved the stark beauty of it and was disappointed when they added the other instruments.

I was going to mention that. If the point they're making is indeed that just drums is enough to make people dance, then adding other instruments totally undermines that point.

Found it odd him looking wistfully at a metal kit ... I imagine most jazzers would prefer his lovely vintage kit over a metal kit? Maybe be was just wanting the new heads on it? After all, the big kit wan't going to fit on his trolley.

Either that or he was even thinking of crossing over to the dark side to make a living ...

I wish him the best of luck with that...

Although having said that, he'd do ok if he moved to europe.

The first time he's looking at the JJ set he's thinking, "Man, if I had just become a metal drummer instead of a humble jazz player, I might be making some good money right now". Then, the second time he's thinking, "I don't need no stinkin' double-bass kit, I got all I need right here with me".

That's a good interpretation actually Mr Zephyr. The filmmakers could have helped the audience out a bit with that one, if that was their intent.

That's a good interpretation actually Mr Zephyr. The filmmakers could have helped the audience out a bit with that one, if that was their intent.

Thanks. Well, that's the great thing about art. Everybody takes away from it their own perspective and meaning whether it was the artists intent or not. I thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

It is a good film. I'd seen it posted before.

I think anyone who's ever been be a working drummer can relate to at least some aspect of the movie.

As far the Joey kit, I think it was just to set the tone of the generation gap between what's happening now vs where he is coming from.

Although I think that scene is left vague so the audience could interpret it however.

Zephyr and DED have sorted the the drums in the window scenes out for me.

I was going to mention that. If the point they're making is indeed that just drums is enough to make people dance, then adding other instruments totally undermines that point.

Exactly. Also, the extra instruments shifted the movie from a sense of reality to Hollywoodesque romantic fantasy and in doing so introduced a cheese factor, just when I was finally warming to the film.

I found the depressive stuff early on quite dull and predictable and had to skip over it. Okay, he's a miserable loser down on his luck - a typical drummer [sic] ... you get that in the first minute ...

And he's sooo mute and seemingly dumb. I guess a smart, articulate, realistic drummer who's capable of having the most basic of conversations wouldn't evoke so much sympathy. Instead the sense of pathos and appeal he invokes reminds me of the lead dog character in My Dog Skip, but with less potency lol

i like the kit he had.. BUT, i'd change the china, and the "broken" crash...
Really nice film. Kinda well made, and such, but made me wonder about that lady pulling the wedding all together - she was rather nice at the ending - a little tooo nice...

I cringed at the introduction of other instruments too!!
But maybe it's saying to the less musical of us, this is music even tho it's just drums and vocals - maybe the filmmakers felt they needed to spell it out!
- Or perhaps even, this is what everyone is hearing in their heads, suggested by what they actually hear. Hmm??

- Or perhaps even, this is what everyone is hearing in their heads, suggested by what they actually hear. Hmm??

I think you're right but we all know the REAL reason is conservatism ... that it would be intolerably radical in entertainment to have vocals only accompanied by drums for an extended period! I mean ... it's ONLY drums ... *sigh*

IMO it would have been much more poignant if they panned into closeups of the musicians and rapturous guests during the performance and, with each closeup, the other instruments faded in and, as they panned out, the other instruments would fade away.

Back