What technique changed your drumming dramatically?

To play everything at veryyyyyyy slow tempos(quarter note = 53) at veryyyy low volume! My verbal out loud count is louder than the drums and cymbals. This has given me control, power and solid time. Denis

Moeller technique without a doubt while learning at drum college in the UK. Hands and feet transformed in little more than a few weeks! Remarkable and very satisfying!!

TJ

Britchops Drum Tuition

In the 70's I was lucky to hook up with a teacher who taught heel down/full rebound bass drum technique. It really pulls the warm bass frequencies out of the drum. Playing like that really developed the muscles in the front of my shin. I

In the 80's I was lucky enough to get a teacher who was very focused on a specific hand technique that turned my hands around. Within about 6 months, the difference was dramatic compared to how they were before.

and what specific hand technique was that?

Studying polyrhythms. It opened up staggering amounts of possibilities for me to play more creatively without necessarily overplaying. Also learning the Moeller technique helps me keep 16th notes on the hi-hat without lighting my arm on fire. (I'm a skinny guy who doesn't rely much on speed.)

Learning how to play double strokes well. It seems to me that there is a great dividing line between those drummers that have doubles and don't. The level of expression is much greater when you are not just relying on singles. Accents pop out from the background more, it just sounds more... musical?

For whatever reason I never much played along to tracks previously, and when I finally started doing so it made a great difference in my feel and microtiming. I also had a serious evolution of my groove when I started playing a four-piece kit nearly exclusively.

Forcing myself to develop French grip (I put it off for a good 10-15 years depending on when you count from). It's done wonders for my overall technique, and now I'm actually building some REAL speed instead of being jammed into the wall at 170bpm.

Finding warm-up and speed development exercises that keep me interested and keep me wanting to come back to the kit every day.

Going 'back to basics' and really focusing on execution of strokes, timing and dynamics. I spent a long portion of my drumming time just kind of 'trying to make the drums sound how I wanted' and trying to sound like guys like Virgil Donati and Dave Weckl without actually understanding how they were doing what they were doing. So I learned a lot of stuff, and I could do a lot of stuff, but it was never quite 'right' and never sounded as good as they make it sound. That's all changed now. It's not that I didn't know any better, it's just that I didn't have the mental discipline to stick with it, but there are a number of reasons behind that which come down to my motivation and passion being severely dented by a psychotic ex...

Mastering the slide technique on my slave pedal and syncing it up with my slide on my master for fast groups of 4,6 and triplet gallops.

Also practicing unmatched grips for better rebound on the different surfaces.

Last edited:
Finding a good teacher, learning doubles, Moeller, fixing my grip. It is all a work in progress undoing the years of badness.

Heeltoe/double strokes with my feet. (for deathmetal)

ERGONOMICS was huge..

not burning off all your energy being showy, setting your kit up in a position requiring minimal movement, and using proper technique (fingers, wrists,)

Not being sarcastic, but listening has been the most important change I ever made.

Bermuda

Absolutely.

Even after 20 years away from the drums (playing guitar), when I started drumming again I was 10 times the drummer I was before simply from listening to music with great drumming. It was then just a matter of getting my limbs back in the game.

Absolutely.

Even after 20 years away from the drums (playing guitar), when I started drumming again I was 10 times the drummer I was before simply from listening to music with great drumming. It was then just a matter of getting my limbs back in the game.

I totally forgot about that aspect of music, learning another instrument or multiple instruments will always help out your over all musical ability. My drumming helps my piano timing, my piano playing helps my guitar scales, and so on.

Back