Ludwig classic maple snare

cdrums21

Gold Member
I was watching a TV show recently featuring Queen with Paul Rogers. As I was watching the show, I couldn't help notice how great Roger Taylor's snare sounded. Very fat and powerful..great rock snare sound. I looked at his kit and saw the toms were DW and assumed the snare was the same. Upon further examination and research, I found that the snare drum was a 6.5x14 Ludwig classic maple. Does anyone currently play one? If so, how do you like it? I would like to have a maple snare and am a fan of Ludwig snares, having a 6.5x14 supra and a 6.5x14 hammered bronze. Both great sounding snare drums. I thought I could find one on ebay...so far no luck, but I'll keep looking. Anyone?

I've been looking for one myself. That's my next snare...

Another awesome drummer that uses this snare quite a bit is Steve Gorman from The Black Crowes.

I believe he uses the early 90's models for his Ludwig drums (he's has the kits too), but keep in mind those are the thick maple/poplar shells. Those are WAY better shells for snares, IMO.

I play a Ludwig Classic Maple snare -- 6.5 x 14. It is my main snare for live gigs. I love it! It is my favorite snare hands down... this coming from someone who owns a $900 Craviotto Solid Maple snare. The Ludwig just has a perfect tone, in my opinion.

I have a new 14x6.5 Ludwig Maple.

I love it.

I used it in the studio recently, recording an album.

I put 20 strand Puresound wires on it w/ an Ambassador hazy head, Coated Ambassador batter side - sounds gorgeous.

Buy it. You'll love it.

I've got a 2006 Ludwig maple 6.5x14 and love the sound. I recently put 20 strand Puresound snares on it and they enhanced the sensitivity beyond the "dry" sound of a typical maple snare. My metal Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14 had been my fav snare for 30 years and before that it was a '68 Slingerland Gene Krupa chrome over brass, as I've tended to like 5" snares better, but the 6.5 maple will tune up in the high register as well as the low and has the added bonus of a more focused "crack". This drum cuts through and I like the dynamic range it offers. It's now my favorite snare with the matching Classic Maple kit. I highly recommend buying this drum.

yep, I've got a late 80's model with the thick shell, and it's awesome. Even though the shell is thick it still has a deep sound even when cranked up, which is probably due to the fewer plies/less glue, and more wood. This drum's shell is the same thickness as the Tama G maples, but it has half the ply count. I believe after '97 the shells got a lot thinner, and went to all maple.

There was a period of time a few months ago where these were on ebay regularly, but lately I haven't seen any at all. More common are the coliseum deeper versions, but those are more expensive, but no less bad ass.

I own a CM 6.5 (Red Sparkle, 2008) and it's a great snare. Very sensitive, great crack, great tuning range, a super cross stick sound....

I'd like to get one of the early 80's thicker Classic shell snares though.
One of the first snares I ever drooled over was the Rock/Concert 6.5 Maple finish snare in the 1980 Ludwig catalog.....I still love how that drum looks.

Maybe one day, but I'm already at 11 snares. I don't think I need anymore snares.....I know my wife would say I don't need anymore haha!!

I am considering buying one of these snares. Could anyone try to describe the sound to me? I will probably get to play one soon but I still want all the info I can get. Is the snare fat? Round? Bright? Too many overtones? To few? Please help.
Thanks.

its a really controlled snare sound -- in my opinion about the most classic sound you can get. Not a lot of overtones -- but not too dry either. They have a character all their own.

They are highly sensitive -- great for brushes, jazz and country ballads. They can also take a beating and still hold up to a snappy sound without killing them. Even the rim shot is clean and without overtones. I have played expensive snares and owned them -- the ludwig is the finest there is IMO.

its a really controlled snare sound -- in my opinion about the most classic sound you can get. Not a lot of overtones -- but not too dry either. They have a character all their own.

They are highly sensitive -- great for brushes, jazz and country ballads. They can also take a beating and still hold up to a snappy sound without killing them. Even the rim shot is clean and without overtones. I have played expensive snares and owned them -- the ludwig is the finest there is IMO.
Thanks a lot. It sounds like just what I'm looking for: sensitive, musical, not an overload of overtones but still a lot of pop and depth. I can't wait to play one. It looks like I might get one if I like to sound in real life (I definitely like it on YouTube). Awesome. :D

I have a 6.5x14 Classic Maple snare from 2011. It's a great snare that really seems to sound good outdoors. I like it indoors and for recording too, but for some reason, it really stands out at the outdoor gigs we play in the summer. Maybe it's the fat sound that makes it, maybe it's the size and the maple shells. I have no idea, but it sounds great and with Sky Blue Pearl wrap to match my kit, it's eye-catching too.

The Ludwig Power Four kit comes with a 8" x 14" Classic Maple snare...I've got a set of Pure Sound snares on mine and use an Emperor X batter with original Ludwig head on snare side and can tune it any way desired...I have it tuned towards higher end and it sounds so good...Warm and crisp sounding with funky rim shots from the regular Ludwig rims...Volume cuts nicely as well...

I played one at my local shop recently and fell in love with it. It was a 6.5x14 and to my ears was the best sounding snare out of dozens of nicely tuned drums. I ended up ordering one to match my vintage Ludwig kit. The price was very reasonable.

Metal drums are very popular. Some times, I hear comments that wood is not very versatile. I greatly disagree, and claim that a well designed wood drum is incredibly versatile! The Ludwig Classic Maple has been around for years, and hsa been used in a huge array of venues. It has been called upon to drive big bands, Jazz groups, world music, symphonic use, you name it. The Classic Maple isn't called "classic" for nothing! Between the Radio King and the Ludwig Maple, great history has been made! everyone needs a wood drum. The Ludwig Classic Maple is the perfect example that ply shells are not second cousins in the wood world.

I'll match my 30 year old Ludwig Classic 6.5x14 snare up against any snare available at any cost! Read the reviews in history. Lot's of tour drummers for instance okay DW, but look closely you might see the Classic maple behind the kit. I used it live for12 years and ir t was detuning, and I just got tired of the care needed. I bought a $900.00 Craviatto, and was thoroughly disappointed. I took the Ludwig apart completely and rebuilt it including cast hoops, and thin king about wood. Wanna talk PHAT! If not being played it lives in the case looks brand new!

I was watching a TV show recently featuring Queen with Paul Rogers. As I was watching the show, I couldn't help notice how great Roger Taylor's snare sounded. Very fat and powerful..great rock snare sound. I looked at his kit and saw the toms were DW and assumed the snare was the same. Upon further examination and research, I found that the snare drum was a 6.5x14 Ludwig classic maple. Does anyone currently play one? If so, how do you like it? I would like to have a maple snare and am a fan of Ludwig snares, having a 6.5x14 supra and a 6.5x14 hammered bronze. Both great sounding snare drums. I thought I could find one on ebay...so far no luck, but I'll keep looking. Anyone?
I have a 6.5x14 Maple Classic in Gold Sparkle that came with my 2005 four piece and it has a lot of range, depth, and warmth. I also love my 1989 hammered bronze Supra with 2.3 rims. Both of these drums are go-to's, along with, my 5x14 COA Supra. Great choices one and all!

Last edited:
Back