Bidding farewell to the "big" kit...

dkerwood

Silver Member
So this is it. The Ludwigs are about to go on Craigslist. So... after photographing what I'm actually selling (Ludwig shells and the Gibraltar rack), I decided to set up everything and capture it for memory's sake.

Enjoy with me.

...It's just a shame that I never ACTUALLY play them like this.

2045104.jpg

2045100.jpg

2045086.jpg

A really nice set - someone is going to be happy.

Good luck getting anything for it, though. I think one-third of all the drum sets in existence are on Craigslist as we speak. There's a huge glut of musical instruments out there. I don't know how music stores stay in business anymore.

That's too bad, they look like a fantastic set of drums. Your loss is surely someone else's gain. I'm also wondering why you wouldn't play them set up like this. If I owned this set, I would probably always have it set up like this.

its always sad to sell gear! May I ask why you are letting them go?

Upgrading, upgrading. It was either upgrade to better shells and hardware, or redo all the hardware on this kit- bass drum spurs especially (this old Ludwig uses the "slide in" spurs). I've just been to the point where I'm using my even crappier 4 piece simply because the hardware is better and it's easier to deal with than the rack and everything. The funny thing is that I'll probably end up buying something just as "big"...

youenjoy00myself said:
I'm also wondering why you wouldn't play them set up like this. If I owned this set, I would probably always have it set up like this.

Mainly space. With all the other gear I have crammed into my music/recording room, I simply don't have room to set it up like this. Heck, if I wanted to gig out like this, I'd have to take two trips in the car just to get the set to the venue! I dunno. I went through the "big" phase, and I went through the "little" phase (I once recorded a full album with just bass, snare, and hi hats), and now I'm pretty comfortable with playing mainly 4 piece. My next kit will probably be a 6 piece, though, so I'll be excited to set all of this up again.

No, the worst part is that I set it all up outside, but because we didn't want to disturb the neighbors, I couldn't even play it. I did have fun explaining to my wife what all the things did and why it was necessary to have it all in one drum set.

Back