Starclassic Performer B/B ?

RogerTheShrubber

Hey does anyone have one of these kits? If so how are they? I have a chance to possibly get a good deal on one of these kits but its not local and I cant test drive it. My main interest is the way the toms sound/tuning range, etc.

Also...slightly different question :) .... I am good at tuning but I cant ever get any of my toms to sound quite like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHyGbadzQQ

Can the Starclassic B/B toms be tuned to sound this way?

Many thanks ... I am just a little skeptical of blindly spending cash on something I cant test out.

Hello Roger,
I have had the chance to play a Performer BB on a couple of occasions and I loved the sound. They were deep and punchy with plenty of attack. They also had good tuning range thanks to the die cast hoops and great hardware. As for the video, what you are hearing is the recording equipment more than the sound of the drums. While I am sure the drums that are being played are of good quality and tuned well, using recording equipment and computer software allows me to change the sound of my kit tremendously. I would go so far as to say it sounds like different drums in different tracks. I would recommend purchasing a drum dial to get you started towards the sound you desire and then fine tune by ear. That said, I would also be reluctant to purchase a kit that I didn't have a chance to play. Additionally, how good the deal is also plays in my opinion, as it dictates what you are comparing the Starclassic to. Good luck!

I played a kit on the floor of a GC. It stayed there less than a week and it was sold.

The finish was top notch, the sound (IMO) was more impressive to me than any maple kit. It had the best of both worlds. It had the cut and brightness of birch and the depth of bubinga. The price made it a total steal, and it usurps the Mapex saturn on it's own mixed-wood turf because the b/b projects better and costs a lot less.

I owned a set of these. Finally, I sold it to buy some other stuff, but I loved the kit. The toms could be tuned to be very punchy. I used pinstripes on the batters and Ambassadors on the resos after trying several different combinations, and I found that to be the best. These are definitely high quality drums--I don't think you'll be disappointed.

It's amazing. Simply amazing. Lots of low-end punch, deep sound, bright and lots of attack.

Great colors, great sound, great prices.

Hey thanks for the responses! I had a feeling they were good. I have never owned a Tama kit but I have a snare from Tama that I really like. The build quality is really good compared to some of my other snares.

This makes the decision a little easier. :)

i believe Yamaha, Tama and Mapex are building the best drums right now, just my humble opinion...
if you have the money to pick up a B/B kit - treat yourself and do it!
i made a guy at L&M pull a 'dark mocha fade' set down from the top shelf so i could play it, these drums sound incredible - i played about 30 different kits these past few months (settled on Yammies) and no drums sounded as good as these - i just can't afford 'em : (
as for their 'sound' - they seem to keep some of the attack and clarity of birch but have better depth than maple - its a great combo...
good hunting!

Hey thanks for the responses! I had a feeling they were good. I have never owned a Tama kit but I have a snare from Tama that I really like. The build quality is really good compared to some of my other snares.

This makes the decision a little easier. :)

Ahem.... does it really make your decision a little easier schmoop? :)

Thanks The Wife! :) By the way I have the coolest wife in the entire universe. The B/B kit has been purchased. Thanks for everyones input!

Now I have to get something uber cool for The Wife.

I have the coolest wife! But I am sure yours is pretty good too!

Just kidding, congrats!!!!

Mike

Back