When did you know drums were "it" for you? When did they become your passion?

The first time I sat behind a kit. Instant reaction. I was 15 at the time - 11 years later I'm keep loving it even more every year!

For me it was the other way around. I started liking the drums without even trying to drum before. It's because a friend of mine is a great drummer and I kept going to his shows and that inspired me a lot. So, I started tapping around with my feet and hands, got my first sticks and practiced on a pillow. Then after a few months I got my kit as a birthday present - that made my day!

Even before I was born I heard the "boom-boom . . . boom-boom" of my mum's heart and knew drums were for me. I thought to myself as I swirled in that fluid, "man, there's something about that beat" and from there on it's been shuffles and the swing all the way.

drums chose me when I was 7

I had absolutely no choice in the matter what so ever

My inner voice (which sounds kinda' like Yoda, you know) told me to not join the dark side - guitarists. So, instead started playing drums. Having a blasty blast, though I need a better sounding place to play. I live in a big, fairly new house with open space. The sound spreads so much and resonates. Add exotic wood floors and we... yeah, not the best acoustic. I'll fix the old library to a drum studio when I have enough time.

I played guitar for about 12 years before I started drumming. The drummer in the band I was in quit and at the time, our only option was that I take over. I traded my Les Paul in for a sonor force 3007 birch kit. I always knew I was supposed to be behind the kit. It was, however, very difficult to give up my Les Paul. 11 years and about 5 bands later, here I am. Whenever I would go to a show, I always found myself staring at the drummer.

I'm new to this forum thing so I'd like to say thanks for having me and I'm happy to be a part of drummerworld. Cheers

I was the kid who banged on coffee cans with green tinker toy drumsticks. When, a few years later, I was asked (3rd grade) what instrument I wanted to play .... DRUMS.​
And a second welcome to Cosmic.​

Keith Moon.

Live at Leeds.

Magic Bus.

One day I was Listening to that album, and how the tension builds and builds, and builds, then how Keith just explodes. It was at that moment that I realized my life would be dedicated to drums.

Around 7 seeing my Dad sit in with a wedding band. I started 3 years later when I asked him if I could play his drum set. 36 years later, I've never looked back.

My older brother is a drummer, so drums were just part of the environment for almost as long as I can remember. The first thing that really got me excited about it, after I had been playing for a couple of years, was going to my first drum corps rehearsal. They can't have been very good, but they were much more together than any marching group I had ever seen, and the sound was awesome.

So who is old enough to remember when oatmeal came in a cardboard, drum shaped container. My first drum at about 5. It was always the snare sound for me.
Played snare in high school band and orchestra and loved the sound. Drum kit came later for me.

It was the only instrument i ever wanted to play. Sitting in our front room in about 1973 wayching top of The Pops and The Sweet came on, playing Blockbuster, followed by the Glitter band with 2 drummers. The pots and pans and wooden spoons were out and that was me for life. tried other instruments due to lack of kit tuition at school, but hated every moment!

Honestly, watching Nirvana videos of Dave Grohl beating the crap out of his drums, just laying down a monster groove. There was so much flow and excitement, made me totally want to be a drummer. After I got a kit, began taking lessons, and started getting the hang of it, there was no turning back. Dave is still a huge influence of mine, especially with his most recent project on the drums, Them Crooked Vultures and when he played on Songs of The Deaf by QOTSA.

I played guitar for about 12 years before I started drumming. The drummer in the band I was in quit and at the time, our only option was that I take over. I traded my Les Paul in for a sonor force 3007 birch kit. I always knew I was supposed to be behind the kit.

Hi Cosmic. Were you tough on your drummers as a guitarist?

In my early teens I got a pair of bongos for Christmas (no doubt they were on special in the shops). That got me started. One time a drummer friend let me play his kit and he showed me money beat. Soon afterwards I nagged Dad into buying me a $100 second hand kit I saw in an ad. The life of my family and neighbours would never be the same :)

I was too young to remember exactly when. I was into music at age 2 I was told, falling asleep to strains of "Mack the Knife", my favorite song. I was definitely born this way. But at age 14, after altering my consciousness for the first time....suddenly there was newfound meaning to what I had loved since I was a toddler. In a big big way too, I now had a purpose. After school, in my basement with my teenage friends playing free flow noise...good times man. I still have a recording somewhere.

I got bongos first too Anon, at age 10, then drums at age 11. Before age 10 I was always tapping on stuff, and my leg could not sit still at the table. It was always moving to a rhythm. I never once did the pots and pans thing. I didn't like the tone ha ha. I've been a tone whore ever since my first set of gold sparkle Stewarts in 1969, where I experimented with porting, moleskin, and crumpled up newspaper in my kick. Once a tone whore, always a tone whore. Playing along to Alice Coopers "Killer" and "Love it to Death" albums were probably the first albums I played to.

Last edited:
I knew drums were 'it' for me years after I realised I was already a drummer.

I was always fascinated with rhythms and beats, I used to scat inbetween the breaks on the telephone rings etc.

Messed about with keyboard, even violin too (cringe), I was heavily into dance music at the time and was using childish music programs to make my own songs that I always took way further than my friends and always sounded better.

One day my friend started a band at school and I just laughed and said 'I'll play the drums' without even thinking about what I'd said.

Got a junior drumkit off my uncle who's a guitarist, he showed me my first beat and that was it. Life has NEVER been the same since. They instantly took over my every thought.

Amazing really considering I was just in the right place at the right time. Had I been late out of class or had detention and my friends walked home without me (which sometimes happened) someone else would have jumped in and I wouldn't have even tried!

That someone spent the rest of school telling everyone how I'd quit and wouldn't stick to it and how he knew what I was like.
However, here I am nearly 13 years on...

I wonder if I would have saw the forrest for the trees if I didn't just jump in with stupid comments and volunteer? would I have found my way here?

It scares me to think I might not.

Not sure really. Probably once I watched The Song Remains The Same, the original DVD release with everything sped up so the pitch was a whole tone higher. I wanted to be John Bonham. I suppose I still do really!

Back