Your Favorite Art Blakey Solo

"This I Dig Of You" from Hank Mobley's Soul Station may be a good place to start.

It seems I've seen it transcribed online somewhere before too. You could compare your transcription to that to check accuracy.

there are fantastic solos on Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk
the record that opens with "Evidence "

Blakey is on fire on that record.......come to think of it ....Blakey is always on fire

our very own dmacc I believe has a great Blakey solo on his youtube channel but I cannot access them for some reason

there are fantastic solos on Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk
the record that opens with "Evidence "

Blakey is on fire on that record.......come to think of it ....Blakey is always on fire

our very own dmacc I believe has a great Blakey solo on his youtube channel but I cannot access them for some reason

Sorry about that. I was doing some "house cleaning" yesterday and forgot to reset some things.

I took mine from the John Ramsay Book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZI...ew-vl&list=PLfd8hYEicaloGCecEjUHOFZfsu62DmOwZ

Every Art Blakey solo is my favorite. I can't begin one. That's like asking would I rather listen to Art, Elvin, Tony, Roy or Philly Joe.

I have a hard time choosing just one. I think if I had to pick, I'd go with the solo on Bu's Delight, off the Jazz Messengers' album Buhaina's Delight.

For something really cool, and a little different, how about the solo on Blues March?

I love the drum thunder suite on Moanin
I found strange that you picked up that piece. There are several reasons, the piece in itself is closer to classical music, the playing with the felt mallets, the improvisation aspect is smaller in this work...

There is a lot of nice stuff with Art Blakey, usually he does long open solos that feature his trademark licks, there is also other work more like shorter solos and trading that is pretty different from the open solos.

The first album I bought at 14 is still my favorite, a double album with the Giants of Jazz in UK. He was still young and the drums (hollywood) sounded and were recorded great. So solo wise I like what he did on "Night in Tunisia" and "Allen´s Alley" on that record.

He was extremelly musical, very dynamic and still nobody sounds like him. Few drummers have his personality (in the whole History of drumming) and very few drummers (or really none) went deeper following his style, wich is surprising. His comping is great. He also was the only who had that "african" sound of the bop players, that rawness integrated in his playing.

I did a lot of transcriptions of his work specially at young age, some you can find at drum magazines.

Last edited:
Back