Random Practice Intervals = Better practice!

brentcn

Platinum Member
http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/why-the-progress-in-the-practice-room-seems-to-disappear-overnight/

Just wanted to share this. Best article I've read on practicing since the 10,000 hours idea!

I have a student who is trying to get a handle on the basic rudiments. I suggested he practice 4 or 5, and gave him 10 exercises devoted to those 4 or 5 rudiments. Instead, he practiced one of the the 5-stroke roll exercises all week (and ignored most everything else). When he came into the lesson, it was as if all his practice disappeared! He was so frustrated! Thankfully I had just read the above article and advised him accordingly. We'll see how it goes...

Awesome stuff! As a new drummer I do find it MADDENING when I sit down to practice something, finally GET IT and the next day be back at square one. I am going to apply this immediately to my practice routine - specifically to my rudiment practice and independence exercises. Thank you!!! I love science.

MM

Thanks Brent. I wish I knew this in the 70s. It's amazing how much good stuff Noa from Bulletproof Musician comes up with. I was recommended the site by Numberless.

I think I've been applying this mentality to my practise for years! Not because I knew any better, but because when I get bored I move on :p

So for example, what I would do when I was learning rock beats was that I would repeat a single one often enough to nail it a few times in a row, and then move on to the next one, and so on. Basically, I'd only ever spend enough time on a singular exercise to get it, and then I'd move on. And then what I'd do is I'd come back the next day or whenever, and repeat the process.

This method actually worked really well with when I picked up Chris Brien's book Progressive Rhythms, because there are about 10 double pages of rock beats with 1/16th note variations on the feet, and then he has another 16 different hand + left foot variations you play over the top. So again, I'd practise each one (making sure I was working left hand left foot leads as well, as that's what I was doing by that point), play it 4 times, then move on to the next one. I felt that I got a LOT of progress simply by forcing my body to keep having to adapt to the next new thing.

So thank you for the article, it has reassured me that my being easily bored has actually been an advantage to my playing :D

I think I've been applying this mentality to my practise for years! Not because I knew any better, but because when I get bored I move on :p

So for example, what I would do when I was learning rock beats was that I would repeat a single one often enough to nail it a few times in a row, and then move on to the next one, and so on. Basically, I'd only ever spend enough time on a singular exercise to get it, and then I'd move on. And then what I'd do is I'd come back the next day or whenever, and repeat the process.

So thank you for the article, it has reassured me that my being easily bored has actually been an advantage to my playing :D

Yeah, this sums up my practice habits, too. I would play the "3 times perfectly in a row" game with various fills and grooves, and if I couldn't get it, I'd move on and come back later. I had no idea that I was doing things so correctly, haha! And when I started teaching, I thought everyone would naturally fall into this same approach. How wrong I was!

Practicing, so as to avoid boredom and frustration, is key. That, and not beating yourself up if something doesn't click right away.

Back