Sonor Gavin Harrison Protean Signature Snare Drum

I just got the 14 x 5.25 snare.
It's an amazing instrument. The CS head it comes with is new to me (I normally use an Ambassador ) and a nice surprise. Focussed, controlled...a bit of sensitivity, a tactile resonse, is lost with REALLY soft, buzz roll type stuff with the the CS head, but what a sound when you play a fatback accent, and the normal ghosts required for funk, rock etc..

With an Ambassador on it it is as responsive as anything I've used to play jazz trio work on in the past. Very, very nice.

I thought I'd throw away the eEQ rings immediately...I guess it's the thinness (as in width) of the Medium one but it's fantastic. No dead, dry drum, like I thought it would be. Just a more focussed sound, so FEWER harmonics, not none at all.

The snare wires are incredible. Why is no-one else making 8 strand snares? They really are all different. Straight 8 is perfect for louder playing, Spacer is more...sensitive, marching drum like...nice for light jazz work (backbeats are still lovely, obviously) and the EQ is dryer...Amazing system!

The strainer is unbelievable! Smooth, smooth, smooth. It's just incredible how light it feels to lift or drop it, and it stays put. German engineering at it's best.

It really is a versatile snare, worth the money of at least 2 different snares, probably 3 or even 4.

Last edited:
Saw Gavin play one at Dale's Drums last fall. Just an unbelievable sounding drum. Dale's had great pricing during the clinic and part of me regrets not picking one up. Aesthetically though it did nothing for me and I like my snares to not only sound great, but look great as well. That was enough for me to pass on the drum but wow, did it sound great (and not just because Gavin was playing it).

Ive had my Protean now going on 8 months or so, it tunes really well both high and low, very versatile. The throw-off, as mentioned, is smooth as glass, almost too easy to engage and disengage. The 8 strand wires are a joy to play and are most definitely for loud situations and the cut out on the snare hoops make it a snap to change em. Im enjoying the Protean immensely at this point.

F

Aesthetically though it did nothing for me and I like my snares to not only sound great, but look great as well. That was enough for me to pass on the drum but wow, did it sound great (and not just because Gavin was playing it).
If I remember correctly, Gavin made the rather mundane appearance a feature of the design. A working drum that didn't attract the wrong kind of attention if left unattended. A good idea IMO. In fact, it fits in very well with my contention that focussed design produces a better instrument, & on this occasion, that's extended to aesthetics too. I'm a fan :)

If I remember correctly, Gavin made the rather mundane appearance a feature of the design. A working drum that didn't attract the wrong kind of attention if left unattended. A good idea IMO. In fact, it fits in very well with my contention that focussed design produces a better instrument, & on this occasion, that's extended to aesthetics too. I'm a fan :)

Very , very good point KIS !

Ive had my Protean now going on 8 months or so, it tunes really well both high and low, very versatile. The throw-off, as mentioned, is smooth as glass, almost too easy to engage and disengage. The 8 strand wires are a joy to play and are most definitely for loud situations and the cut out on the snare hoops make it a snap to change em. Im enjoying the Protean immensely at this point.

F

Hi Florian.

Two questions.

Firstly, are you the Florian from the Martini kit promo videos...?
And secondly, can you tell me more about the Ascent versus the SQ2, as you own both? My 18kick/10/14 tom Ascent is on back order for later this year...

Let me add: I A/B'd the Protesn at my local store with a Ludwig Black Beauty. I LOVE the Black Beauty...well I did. Now I like it.

Man! It kicked it's ass. Seriously. It's just as responsive, just as open with an Ambassador on. With CS it kills the BB. Massive punch. But the ghosts are crisp and clear.
It was simply astounding. I was shocked by how much more I like it over the BB.

Very , very good point KIS !

Yes, that was the idea. But I like the Art Deco look. It's sexy when you get past it's unassuming first impression.

... (and not just because Gavin was playing it).
He's a monster, that's for sure. I've never seen such a presence behind the kit. I dunno how many sticks he broke playing the 6 or 7 songs he did, but he gets an amazing sound out of the drum kit!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd buy one if I had the money. I've yet to play on one, so what I'm about to write is worthless to anyone that's played one and liked it, but I must say I'm a little leary of the S-hoops. I know some of Tama's Starphonics have them, like their aluminum shell, but the Protean one looks awful close to the head. I know the triple flanged and die-cast snares I've played get wood chips trapped in the crevice between the head folded over the bearing edge and the hoop, but it's rather easy to clean them out. I worry about chips getting in there.

But! Hearing Mr. Harrison talk about the drum and the various thoughts that went into the design, it's clear that it's the result of 30 plus years experience from him as well as over 100 years of experience from Sonor. I'm glad finer things exist in life, but for the time being, it's beyond my means. Maybe one day down the road I'll be able to buy a used one from an unfortunate soul that's run into bad times and needs money :p

I must say i wasn't keen on the look at first, but after hearing the desing philosophy, I can see why he chose that look. What I can't get my head around though, is the conflict in thoughts regarding mass on the shell. It seems Mr. Harrison and most modern drum design are at odds regarding that.

Hi Florian.

Two questions.

Firstly, are you the Florian from the Martini kit promo videos...?
And secondly, can you tell me more about the Ascent versus the SQ2, as you own both? My 18kick/10/14 tom Ascent is on back order for later this year...

No to question one. What would you like to know specifically about the Q2 and Ascent? Happy to answer your questions

F

What I can't get my head around though, is the conflict in thoughts regarding mass on the shell. It seems Mr. Harrison and most modern drum design are at odds regarding that.
I'd like to chime in on this point. In our designs, we take ultra low mass hardware to the limits. That's because it's an integral part of our instrument design basis to allow the shells to resonate to the max. Both shells & hardware working together to produce a defined set of characteristics. Ok, high mass & less shell resonance is technically much easier to achieve, but is an equally valid approach to instrument design. It produces a focussed instrument, & especially in a snare drum, that's something many are seeking. Indeed, if you dig into Gavin's design, you'll see it's all about ease of use, flexibility, & control in both a gigging & modern recording situations. A focussed sound is helpful in that regard, so the high mass approach is appropriate.

I'd like to chime in on this point. In our designs, we take ultra low mass hardware to the limits. That's because it's an integral part of our instrument design basis to allow the shells to resonate to the max. Both shells & hardware working together to produce a defined set of characteristics. Ok, high mass & less shell resonance is technically much easier to achieve, but is an equally valid approach to instrument design. It produces a focussed instrument, & especially in a snare drum, that's something many are seeking. Indeed, if you dig into Gavin's design, you'll see it's all about ease of use, flexibility, & control in both a gigging & modern recording situations. A focussed sound is helpful in that regard, so the high mass approach is appropriate.

Thanks for this!

:)

Thanks for this!

:)

Yes, thanks Andy. I own a DW 8x14 cherry HVLT snare that has double the amount of turret lugs (two rows top and bottom if that makes sense) because of the drum's size. Despite all that weight on the shell (not to mention the Mag throw off and 3-position butt plate), wouldn't you know it sounds amazing! Beefiest backbeat you could hope for.

Spot on. After a few gigs...it's got the two things I've always wanted but thought were mutually exclusive: the bassist and guitarist both separately commented on how sensitive it is at low volume and I was blown away by how focused and controlled it was in the same room when I walloped it. EDIT: the gig was trio jazz first set then countryish then rock n roll by the end.

And those S-Hoops! The crosstsick... Man I laughed the first time I played one. 3-4 x the volume of a perfect smack n a regular rim. No effort, just HELLO. I'm not a rimshot guy but if you are...it's a friggin canon. Wood chips...thanks, I'll watch out for those. But I'll just take the head off and clean it. Though I don't eat into my sticks at all.

No to question one. What would you like to know specifically about the Q2 and Ascent? Happy to answer your questions

F

Cheers!

Well, are the Ascents much louder? Do you find them naturally more...dead...than the SQ2s?...mmm, I'm assuming you have maple sq2s though...

How would you characterize the difference? Do you favor one or the other? If so, why?

Thanks for your time Florian.

Cheers!

Well, are the Ascents much louder? Do you find them naturally more...dead...than the SQ2s?...mmm, I'm assuming you have maple sq2s though...

How would you characterize the difference? Do you favor one or the other? If so, why?

Thanks for your time Florian.

No worries, Bradley. The Ascents are 'different' than my maple Q2s tonally. Louder? Only when I hit them harder. They certainly are not more dead - in fact, I prefer the Ascents when playing live for their tone, projection of sound and overall tunability. How would I characterize the difference? Maple is warmer, fuller sounding to me, and the medium shells just hum when you hit em. The Beech seem more "in your face" with attack and instant tone, but less residual note.

Just my .02

F

Thanks Florian

Yes, I spent about 20 minutes with an Ascent kit at a local store so I know what you mean by attack, in your face and especially instant tone.
What do you mean by "residual note" though? Complexity perhaps? I imagine the ascents can be quite...uni tonal. As in, one clear, sustaining pitch that is not complex, just a clean note.
That was my brief experience in the shop though. I've heard them live but the guy had them tuned badly with old heads so they were dead as can be, but that was before I checked them out in the store.

5 or 6 of the South African Sonor endorsees have bought it. They all have other great Sonor snares but all prefer the Protean.

Still love my 12 X 5. I took it to music camp this past summer and let my fellow campers and pros Pat Mastelotto and Tobias Ralph have at it. All were very impressed with the range of tones and sheer dynamics of this little gem. Pat is very familiar with the Proteans as Gavin is a drummer brother in the current King Crimson and has played the 14" version.

Back