Simon Phillips

Re: VIDEO : Great drumsolo by Mr Simon Phillips!

how cool is that !!? More to the point how long does it take to learn that stuff ?

VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo at clinic in China Nov 2005.

Hey everybody. Earlier I posted a video of another SP solo that can be found Here.. Just now, I found another solo at YouTube which was recorded at the end of "Indian Summer" in China 2005. A very neat Solo! It can be found here!

Re: VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo at clinic in China Nov 2005.

Yeah, you can't believe that he is 49!

No, sorry, I don't know!

Re: VIDEO : Simon Phillips solo at clinic in China Nov 2005.

Woooow! Sir Simon played incredible!!! His fast playing, wooow, I`m proud of him!!!!!
and he played on a Tama Superstar Custom!! Now I`m really proud to have one, too!
To Bernhard: If you meet him one day, tell him that I`m proud of him and tell him best wishes and good luck!! :)

Karl

Oh dear, what happened to Simon Phillips / TOTO ???

Hey,

last night Toto had a little gig on Germany's biggest TV show "Wetten Dass...".

I have to say that I saw them live twice 5 years ago. But what I saw last night on TV was really really bad!
They did a crappy Africa-Rosanna-whatever-medley PLAYBACK!!!
Toto once was quite a big rock band, wasn't it?
Even Santana with his huge band always played live on this TV show!

Simon Phillips looked like a kid on his first drum set. (He played a random 5pc) He tried to smile but I think he was glad when it was over.
Oh man how can a top drummer like him play a gig like that? Is it really worth the money?

He even had to perform with the finger snapping sample in the last song.

Oh dear...

Re: Oh dear, what happened to Simon Phillips / TOTO ???

They were succesfull but I would'nt say they were huge. They had a few hits but were never a mega draw.. atleast from what I remeber here in the States.

Mhhh, I missed the show yesterday, just forgot it...so it seem to be not bad having missed it.
all in all: Toto really changed in the last years, REALLY!
It could be that they all just had a bad day...I don`t know why they should be so bad...when I saw them on the tour in Frankfurt they were incredible, they played like god himself...strange...

Karl

Drummer Karl said:
Mhhh, I missed the show yesterday, just forgot it...so it seem to be not bad having missed it.
all in all: Toto really changed in the last years, REALLY!
It could be that they all just had a bad day...I don`t know why they should be so bad...when I saw them on the tour in Frankfurt they were incredible, they played like god himself...strange...

Karl
Well I know that they CAN play. So I wonder why they did such a bad playback thing. By the way they have replaced David Paich on the keys right?

edit: Karl you really didn't miss anything concerning Toto...

aarbo said:
Well I know that they CAN play. So I wonder why they did such a bad playback thing. By the way they have replaced David Paich on the keys right?

edit: Karl you really didn't miss anything concerning Toto...

I don`t know why, too...yes, they`ve replaced David. I don`t know whether they replaced him for just a few month or for even longer time...I hope that David comes back soon!
and I hope that this bad gig yesterday was the ONLY bad gig.

Karl

No big secret that Toto hasn't been very good since about 1984 ;-)

Stu_Strib said:
No big secret that Toto hasn't been very good since about 1984 ;-)

HÄ? What happened the year 1984??
but we all know that Toto changed really the last years, since Jeff died :( Toto is of course different...what would be if Jeffrey would still play with Toto and not Simon? Sry for this off topic question...

Karl

Robin said:
but why bring that kit for a 4 minute TV show?
Santana always did, and they played many times in this show!
btw Dennis Chambers' kit is not smaller than Simon Pillips' one...

If you have the orginial recordings of Africa and Rosanna, feel free to compare to the broadcast last night. If you'd know Toto's music, you'd know that DAVID PAICH sings on Africa but Greg sang it last night. Playback?????

and THIS is the kit that Simon is using. A BIT bigger than the TV kit, wouldn't you agree?

drumkitgreen3.jpg

Go see Toto this summer, they're doing several dates in Germany. you'll be just like me - defending the band from someone who have NO idea about ANYTHING about the band!

Well Robin, I really don't see your particular problem.
What I said is just:

I know Toto for a long time now and especially know the drumming of Simon Phillips (on his regular, big kit). I saw them live two times. They played big, live rock shows, as they use to do it...

The gig on the TV show LAST NIGHT was very poor in my opinion because it was full playback. And I wonder why Toto is doing it.

Period.

No idea. It's all promotion and the chance of getting 15 million people watching them on german TV.

Robin said:
If you have the orginial recordings of Africa and Rosanna, feel free to compare to the broadcast last night. If you'd know Toto's music, you'd know that DAVID PAICH sings on Africa but Greg sang it last night. Playback?????

No reason why not. Bands like Toto have years and years of desk tapes from live shows, if they want to stitch together a "Live" performance without actually playing then that's entirely possible with the likes of Pro Tools et al.

Many times when a band performs to tape on a TV show, it's the decision of the show not the band.

Exactly. Why would they wanna perform those AGAIN? =P. I think they're pretty tired of them.

Back