Jack White's drummer

get_rad

I was watching SNL a couple weeks ago when Jack White was performing some of his new solo material, and i couldn't help but notice how awkward and stiff his drummer played. It was almost hard to watch haha here's a link to the performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLem5hLxLc

anybody have any idea who she is and if there's any logic behind this technique?

I really liked her, actually. She wasn't holding back on some very authentic Ringo toms fills. Her feel was right on, too.

I really liked her, actually.

+1

Dug the track and dug what she did within it. Yeah, a little stiff.....or perhaps I should say unorthadox looking. But what she did within the track worked very well.......which trumps how she looks whislt doing it, I reckon.
Maybe just close your eyes? :)

I like her playing a lot. Who is it? Nice arrangement too.

True, she didn't look sexy, which is a relief for me. Meg made me feel inadequate because she always managed to look cute and sexy when she played. I have no idea how she does it. Same with Sheila E and some of those female YouTube drum cover heroines.

Always glad to see other inelegant women drummers!

Really good song from Jack, the new album sounds promising :)

Like the others so far, I also liked the new drummer, she nailed the performance, and I agree with POFG, the "look" doesn't "meet" her playing, although I didn't think she looked that wild doing it, but it's rock'n'roll isn't it? It's all good for me :))

She sits incredibly high doesn't she? Or is that just me? Her floor tom looked to be level with the bottom of her thigh.

I think all the backing musicians look awkward. They're all looking down, or sideways -sort of introverted, not connecting. I've always thought Jack White likes to control the overall look, he's such a showman, he likes to have a "gimmick". (Not dissing Jack, I think he's a genius).

Much to my surprise, I really liked that. Strong song, & a good performance by all. The "shared mic" vocal part was especially well delivered.

I get the demure vibe of the backing band. I think it's all part of the solo act subservient show philosophy to focus attention on Jack, & that's cool.

As for the drummer, apart from her ride action looking a bit strained (almost certainly due to the ride positioning very far right), I thought she was superb. Maybe the stiff upright vibe is due to her stature. Difficult to get a handle on this, but I suspect she's quite tall. I like her style, & think her playing is robust in a good way.

I'm a fan, & yes, anyone know her name?

She does sit high on the throne. Her left hand playing traditional is stiff looking and seems like a lot of elbow. The right arm is a little wild with the elbow flying but she seemed to get all of her body parts on the right drum parts at the right time. That is the goal,

That looks like Carla Azar from Auto Lux. If so, she ain't no one trick poney-Meg-White.

Thanks Adam. Just looked up Autolux on YT - Carla sounds like a player well worth following. Not just a fine drummer but she's getting involved in some classy music.

Brian Blade can look pretty goofy at times and he's better than almost anyone. Better to look goofy and play great than the other way around.

Traditional grip no less! May be some of the problem. Guys (or girls) playing traditional on a kit always look a little odd to me.

On a different note I hate that Jack can get the best guitar tone out of the cheapest equipment. He purposely plays through cheap, no name heads and plywood cabinets with 1960's Montgomery Ward speakers, yet his tone is to die for.

anybody have any idea who she is and if there's any logic behind this technique?

Looks like she learned traditional grip the day before to me. I liked what she played, but the delivery sounded as it looked: stiff. Her spine seemed immobilized, as if she were wearing a back brace, and that stiffness extended out to her arms and wrist. I worry that carpal tunnel and tendonitis are a few months of long gigs away.

And she looked determined to show no emotion whatsoever. Fighting back the pain of playing that way, perhaps?

+1 for me,I liked the performance,and I thought the drum part fit and grooved,close your eyes and just listen to the tune. I think she got the job done very well.

There was a thread on another forum concerning Meg's bad form/choppy/stiff/unorthodox style,and someone posted a vid of a Jazz drummer that had went to University of North Texas,this guy was playing some sick modern trio Jazz,and visually his form was even stiffer and choppier than Meg's,I could not believe this guy was playing what he was playing going from the visual.

I think Jack has a certain vibe/atmosphere he is going for sonically and visually,and I think he likes drummers that have a raw /primitive/primal approach,obviously Meg was cut from that cloth,if you watched the documentary" It might get loud" Jack cites "Primitives" like Son House and Johnny Cash as influences.

Plus he does not seem to mind cueing a drummer,which is cool for a star of his magnitude IMO.

I saw it on TV, but I didn't think she came across as stiff.
I thought she was fairly loose with the big washy cymbals and the (as Mike M said) very Ringo like fills.

True, she looked awkward sitting high with the drums super low, but every one in the backing band looked a bit awkward, so I can only guess it was deliberate part of the visual performance. And at the same time, when Jack White plays drums, he himself has all his drums and cymbals super low, so maybe there is a connection.

I thought both her and the drums sounded amazing. It's been a while since I heard a kit sound that good to my ear.

Back