What do you think about the SONOR SQ2 ?

C.L. - Drum

Hey guys,

I want to buy me a new drumset.
I don't know which drums are the best....

At the moment I have a bias towards the Sonor SQ2.

Do you know something about them? Do you like them? Have you played one?

Thanks for answering

cheers
C.L. - Drum

If your going to go with a Sonor High end.. I would highly recommend the delite series
if you just want to go with a high end custom.. i would look into custom companies... sonor can get really really pricey very fast

The SQ2 kits are astounding. As are the Delites. Try to play a set and go from there. I'm a guy who thinks Sonor make the absolute best drums on earth so I may be a little biased. Having said that though I own drums made by many brands. My Sonors are my favorites though. They are also very popular with other musicians. People always request Sonor when I'm asked to do sessions.

They are very nice drums but very expensive as well. I would take some time to consider and weigh your options. If you get these you aren't going to want to sell them. I wouldn't purchase these drums unless you are a very serious drummer.

Okay thank you!!

I will drive to the Sonor factory, because I really want a kit which is personalized on me!
I love the Sonor sound....

cheers
C.L. - Drum

PS: I'm from Germany, so perhaps there are some orthographic mistake :p

Well if you're within driving distance to a drum company you'd be mad NOT to go and check things out first hand. The SQ2s are by all definitions one of the best drum kits on the market today. The degree of customisation pretty much exceeds anything else out from the bigger produces (I'd say DW Collectors and Pearl Masterworks come very close), and this is the whole selling point of the line. You can literally design your drums from the ground up - shell thickness, diameter, depth, finish and hardware are all customisable for each individual drum.

Saying all that though, they cost an arm and a leg, and this is their main negative point. But really, if you are a looking at a top end kit, an extra grand or two really doesn't tip the equation all that much if the product is what you want.

Hi Solaris and everyone,

(Hey C.L.Drum is nice to see you here too)

The cost of the drum kit depends on your geographic location. For sure Sonor, DW are great hi-end drum kits. Different instruments, top line sounding kits.
For europeans get a SQ2, although expensive, is possible to deal with it. In the other hand if you´re thinking on DW (like me) you will need a good full budget (or the arm and leg you said...). For instance, for the less price than a DW satin oil kit, i could get a SQ2 in wood finish. For an DW exotic wood finish, multiply by three the price!. And for sure there´s no radical differences between the kits that may justify the price. Where all the money go?. Maybe in intermediate dealers or somenthing...

As far as i know, in US is the opposite situation. Guess in Australia too. So, what to do?
As always all depends on your personal taste, and the size of your budget. Me are now listening to SQ2... And love them!. ;-)

Regards from Spain

Hi Solaris and everyone,

(Hey C.L.Drum is nice to see you here too)

The cost of the drum kit depends on your geographic location. For sure Sonor, DW are great hi-end drum kits. Different instruments, top line sounding kits.
For europeans get a SQ2, although expensive, is possible to deal with it. In the other hand if you´re thinking on DW (like me) you will need a good full budget (or the arm and leg you said...). For instance, for the less price than a DW satin oil kit, i could get a SQ2 in wood finish. For an DW exotic wood finish, multiply by three the price!. And for sure there´s no radical differences between the kits that may justify the price. Where all the money go?. Maybe in intermediate dealers or somenthing...

As far as i know, in US is the opposite situation. Guess in Australia too. So, what to do?
As always all depends on your personal taste, and the size of your budget. Me are now listening to SQ2... And love them!. ;-)

Regards from Spain

Good point. I guess a lot of the price has to do with dealers as well. In Australia Billy Hyde (the equivalent of Guitar Center) is PDP's/DW's official supplier, whereas I haven't found one music store that stocks Sonor.

SQ2's are the best kits money can buy hands down, but as far as value is concerned: Sonor S-Class, or Tama Starclassics.

At the top-end its very subjective, and if you need others to tell you what the best kit is, youre simply not ready to purchase anything just yet.

I own a top-end Sonor, which does everything I want and is built to a very high quality. That being said, its not the kit for everyone.

i have just bought an SQ2 and it is by far the best kit i have ever played. they are well built and have the best bearing edges i have ever seen. try to go through a shop as you
can normally get cheaper. dont buy unless you are certain that you want a custom kit. there are many out there but i am a sonor fan. i have a video on youtube if you want to have a listen. bear in mind it is recorded on a mobile phone but you can hear the potential.
hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijcrTVXdZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfCzdW7V0UU&feature=related

Hope this helps.
GAZ

Hey guys,

at friday I went to the Sonor factory in Bad Berleburg, Germany.
It was really fantastic!! There was a showroom with all different
Sonor series. The product manager explained me all different
possibilities from the SQ2 series.

I played the new SQ2 from Christoph Schneider (Rammstein).

After watching all fantastic sets at the showroom, the produkt manager
guide us through the Sonor factory. All exclusive Sonor shells are made there.

After beeing there I'm sure, that I want to buy a Sonor SQ2, because that is
really the best drumset you can get!!

With greetings
Clemens from Germany

PS: Sorry for all misspelling.

It is odd that people who choose virgin bass drums are willing to accept those 8 extra screw holes for the sonor mallet badges to be drilled in the outrageously expensive tom tom shells. Those badges are unnecessary since the tom mounts already reveal that their drums are the SQ2. I can't see why Sonor charges so much extra for the black chome either. Why don't Sonor offer any shell depth one wishes since the drums are built from scratch. More choice of hoops and drumheads would be good or the possibility to order without them and use the ones you prefer. I would also like to know more about the wood quality used in these drums. Other than that the SQ2 are out of this world. When I write to Santa Claus my first wish is the SQ2 as is my second wish and my third wish und so weiter.

xmapex

Hey guys,

at friday I went to the Sonor factory in Bad Berleburg, Germany.
It was really fantastic!! There was a showroom with all different
Sonor series. The product manager explained me all different
possibilities from the SQ2 series.

I played the new SQ2 from Christoph Schneider (Rammstein).

After watching all fantastic sets at the showroom, the produkt manager
guide us through the Sonor factory. All exclusive Sonor shells are made there.

After beeing there I'm sure, that I want to buy a Sonor SQ2, because that is
really the best drumset you can get!!

With greetings
Clemens from Germany

PS: Sorry for all misspelling.

Wait!

What about a tour of the Gretsch factory? Maybe that'll change your mind.

I've played them two or three times and what I think is that they're expensive, that's all.

Dennis

Good point. I guess a lot of the price has to do with dealers as well. In Australia Billy Hyde (the equivalent of Guitar Center) is PDP's/DW's official supplier, whereas I haven't found one music store that stocks Sonor.

Theyll be out there, but Hydes would never stock Sonor due to their wholesaler relationships.

SQ2's are the best kits money can buy hands down, but as far as value is concerned: Sonor S-Class, or Tama Starclassics.

I don't think SQ2's are the "best" you can get as I don't believe there is such a thing as the best anything. I'm a great fan of Sonor, the quality is certainly very high. A lot better than anything DW turns out. SQ2's are certainly one of the best so called high end kits but I have played drums that sound better in my humble opinion. It's more a case of what suits the individual player. SQ2's don't especially suit me, but then again, I don't expect my drums would suit everybody else. Go buy with your ears but ensure that whatever you buy has quality heads fitted and is tuned well as both of these elements have a larger bearing on the resultant sound than almost anything else.

Back