New Pearl mcx inside joints uneven?

Csxman

Hey guys, just wanted to run a question by you concerning my new Pearl Masters Mcx (mocha Tamo finish) I ordered this kit from Greenbriar music last week and after unpacking and inspecting the drums I noticed that the inside joints or where the tom plys join each other, there is a very noticeable ridge there and it's very uneven. Like maybe 1/32 difference. The larger 16" floor tom isn't quite as bad but the joints get more uneven as the drums get smaller. The 8" tom is very noticeable. This is the first pro level kit I've ever owned and never noticed this on my Yamaha stage customs. Is this normal? Could this be a "B" stock of drums that I have? Should I send them back to Pearl? I haven't set the kit up yet so I'm not sure if it will affect the sound. Other than tapping with a stick, that's all ive done. What are your thoughts and thanks for your input!

I can't say definitively as I don't have a pearl set. I do have a single-ply Philharmonic snare and the inside is perfectly smooth at the seam.

I think that those probably should be damn near perfect, but other guys will know for sure.

Yeah, I'll get some pics this afternoon after work. Just doesn't seem right for a pro quality kit to have this kind of joint

I think I've read about this before and it's normal. I had an MCX maple snare and it was the same.

I bet a little research will show other conversations about it. Mine didn't look bad at all, it was just different than what I've seen in other drums.

Hmmm. If that's the case I'm curious as to why Pearl would make their toms this way. I've never seen this on a tom or any drum for that matter. Maybe it's a Pearl thing? Don't know. I'll contact Pearl after work today for clarification but I thought drum shells were to be smooth and unobstructive inside.

Pearl uses scarf joints on its ply drums which creates the slight ridge at the seam since the plys all slightly overlap. I have owned multiple pearl drum kits that have slight ridges inside the shells where the innermost ply overlaps. I don't think anything is wrong with your kit (but pics would help) and Pearl's ply construction method is part of what gives their drums the Pearl sound (though don't ask me to describe what that sound is).

Last edited:
MN02, you made me feel a lot better. At least it has been seen and noticed by someone other than me. I just had never seen anything like it so it kind of freaked me out when I ran my hand around the interior of the shell and there's this obvious ridge sticking up. As I stated earlier, i get some pics here this afternoon, thanks!

MN02, you made me feel a lot better. At least it has been seen and noticed by someone other than me. I just had never seen anything like it so it kind of freaked me out when I ran my hand around the interior of the shell and there's this obvious ridge sticking up. As I stated earlier, i get some pics here this afternoon, thanks!

Glad to be of help. MCX are great drums.

Back