GRETSCH RENOWN MAPLE?

reDrum

Hello guys, 14x5.5 renown maple snare drum.Can you tell me your experience,information about this drum ?

I had the 6.5 x 14...10 lugs. Very good drum. After a few years with metal-only snares, wanted to go back to something wood. I now prefer wood. I bought it for $200 on ebay and it served me well.

The throwoff was a little cheapish but other than that it played and sounded well. It has no muffler, if you like those things. Its a good solid all around drum, was nice at all tunings and easy to tune. I dunno, depending on the price you're paying, you might find some other nice drums in that price class. I sold mine for a profit - to get a 5 ply maple snare that was much cheaper and sounded the same.

hope that helps

I have a Purewood kit (African Mahogany) and my snare is 5.5x14 10 lugs - pretty much no snare beds - and is one of my very best sounding snare drums. Sure...it's not Maple but most of the sound in a drum comes from the hardware...heads/hoops/bearing edges (mine is 30ceg as in the Maple I believe) and tuning. It's sensitive - a very nice all-round snare drum...solid with high quality parts.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1249 (Custom).jpg
    Copy of IMG_1249 (Custom).jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,127
I have a 5.5 x 14 Renown in Black. 8 lugs and now with Stick saver batter hoop. Great drum. Are you looking to buy?

I have a Purewood kit (African Mahogany) and my snare is 5.5x14 10 lugs - pretty much no snare beds - and is one of my very best sounding snare drums. Sure...it's not Maple but most of the sound in a drum comes from the hardware...heads/hoops/bearing edges (mine is 30ceg as in the Maple I believe) and tuning. It's sensitive - a very nice all-round snare drum...solid with high quality parts.

Perfect :) thank for your help man.

I had the 6.5 x 14...10 lugs. Very good drum. After a few years with metal-only snares, wanted to go back to something wood. I now prefer wood. I bought it for $200 on ebay and it served me well.

The throwoff was a little cheapish but other than that it played and sounded well. It has no muffler, if you like those things. Its a good solid all around drum, was nice at all tunings and easy to tune. I dunno, depending on the price you're paying, you might find some other nice drums in that price class. I sold mine for a profit - to get a 5 ply maple snare that was much cheaper and sounded the same.

hope that helps

Can you recommend me a maple snare that price class ?

As with everything, best to use your own ears, not just opinions on here.
In general, one cannot go wrong with a better than mid-level Gretsch drum.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Was there ever a Renown 13x5.5 maple snare? All I see in google are 14s. The seller hadn't answered my PM. This is a picture.

Does anyone here have one? How is it. I'm choosing between this (not expensive) and a mint Omar Hakim (expensive).

27072333_10215530997372410_9183444616720569598_n.jpg

Last edited:
Was there ever a Renown 13x5.5 maple snare? All I see in google are 14s. The seller hadn't answered my PM. This is a picture.

Does anyone here have one? How is it. I'm choosing between this (not expensive) and a mint Omar Hakim (expensive).

Play it.

I've played great looking top of the line older Gretsch wood snares that sounded like a wet cardboard box.

I've never seen a 13" snare in the older Renowns, but they have done quite a few limited runs over the years so anything is possible. They did have a 13x7 snare a couple of years ago when they switched back to the round badges.
Anyway, check it out if the price is right. I have a Renown maple snare in 14x6.5 that I love and play more than others.

Back