Does My drumming technique look good?

J

Joedrumma

I want to know if my drumming technique looks good based on my drum cover video. For example is it sloppy does it look nice and clean? Because i dont take lessons so i need some help before I start to become sloppy.
Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_AA2vlC8fc

Your right side looks good, the grip and the wrists look comfortable. All I'd say is try and apply this to your left hand, 1.36 - 1.38 your left looks comfortable but after that it seems like really go to town with arm movement. Does it feel you're putting a lot of shoulder into it with those skip notes on the snare? (1.39 - 1.43 ish)

Not bad at all though dude, just reign in that left side and get what you're got going on with the right side and you'll be on your way :)

Hope you're well mate,

Kev

p.s. there'll be a lot of people on here who can probably give you a better analysis but that's just my thoughts and feelings, keep it up!

THanks for the advice man! I know what your saying with the left hand gotta work on my left hand. And i dont really feel my shoulders moving much feels comfortable to me. Thanks man!

Nice one, it's hard to tell from the vangle of the vid. As long as you're comfortable then that's great, some of my technique is a little unorthordox or what some drummers might consider bad technique but it get's the job done for and I'm comfrotable with it so all's good.

Are there any music teachers at your school/college that play drums? you might be able to get them to have a look and show you some stuff during lunch breaks or something. In short if you know somone who plays then take advantage of their knowledge.

Kev

Your not keeping proper time on your right....that's the thing that stood out to me right away. (I see alot of speeding up and slowing down). Drummers by definition are the time-keepers....no offense, but I think a good teacher would help you tremendously. You need to start working rudiments, learning proper rebound, and working with a metronome. You'd progress so much faster.
Here's a good webite for rudiments.....but learning proper execution is going to be a problem. Watch the video's, and do your best to learn all you can about stick-rebound....that's where the art lies.....that's my 2 cents.
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

Thanks for the advice! but can you point out parts whrere i speed up then slow down. Cause the speed during the song on the right changes through different parts.

Looks like pretty solid rock & roll technique to me. You probably want to experiment with your left hand a little bit- making the 2 & 4 with your arm looks good on stage, but it would be good to know how to use your wrist as well. You seem to be leaning into your bass drum hits a little bit, which you might want to try to isolate out- try to make it so you don't have to shift your upper body to play your bass drum. Again, this is a thing that somewhat makes it look like you're rocking, but may hang you up when you try to play more demanding music. Also I noticed a little bit of an adjustment period going from loud to soft at the second verse, suggesting that you're not as relaxed as you could be.

The big thing to work on, of course, is the time- you tend to rush on the more exciting parts. You should have this song memorized by now, so I would try running it with just a metronome. Without the backing track filling things out you should be able to tell easily where you're speeding up.

Looks like pretty solid rock & roll technique to me. You probably want to experiment with your left hand a little bit- making the 2 & 4 with your arm looks good on stage, but it would be good to know how to use your wrist as well. You seem to be leaning into your bass drum hits a little bit, which you might want to try to isolate out- try to make it so you don't have to shift your upper body to play your bass drum. Again, this is a thing that somewhat makes it look like you're rocking, but may hang you up when you try to play more demanding music. Also I noticed a little bit of an adjustment period going from loud to soft at the second verse, suggesting that you're not as relaxed as you could be.

The big thing to work on, of course, is the time- you tend to rush on the more exciting parts. You should have this song memorized by now, so I would try running it with just a metronome. Without the backing track filling things out you should be able to tell easily where you're speeding up.

Hahaha your so right :D Thanks for the advice man So far everybody has been saying my timing is of some time so imma work on my timing but ya u noticed a couple other things and i could see it to! Good looks! thanks

How would you guys rate this video overall from a scale from 1 to 10 and tell me the goods and bads

Thanks for the advice! but can you point out parts whrere i speed up then slow down. Cause the speed during the song on the right changes through different parts.

The real drum track will never waver in tempo. EVER. Usually when you watch a recorded video 1-2 days afterwards you can hear it.

If the song itself were going under acc/rall then it'd be quite obvious.

Back