It finally happened...the snareless gig

Numberless

Platinum Member
Always, ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK, especially when you're being rushed because you're late, or else this might happen.

10384026_922989371053049_3151380308618028068_n.jpg

Hahaha. I can't stop laughing. But it's not funny when you realize you've done that.

What's the size of that Canopus bass drum? Is that 16"?

...that's a 15" bass drum from canopus' rfm maple "club kit" series...

...my guess is that this is a jazz composition class and that the particular song calls for basic beats without a snare (and, later, a snare, given that the snare stand is already set up)...

The drum is 16". This was actually for a tv show, I did set up the stand in the hopes that a snare might miraculously appear but it did not :(

And yeah, the hats got quite a workout! jajaja
Yes, I spotted the big camera platform.

Hey, at least you get creativity points for minimal setup, unlike the sax player with pointless scarf addition to his instrument & horrendous "I've never had a girlfriend" red trousers / blue shirt combo! ;)

Lucky that guy in the tight red pants was there to take the heat off you.

jajaja you guys are killing me, these guys might be dressed funny but they are seriously monster players, the gig went fine, we only played one funky tune that seriously needed a backbeat, the other two tunes were a jazz waltz and caravan so I got away with just the ride and playing the clave with the stick on the bass drum.

A couple of months ago I left the seat top of my Roc N Soc at home. I live a half hour away from the gig and I had 50 minutes. Luckily my wife was able to meet me half way. I could have sat on a regular chair but 4 hours of that would have been hell.
I always have 2 snare drums with me in case one gives out. My worst fear is busting through my kick drum head in the middle of a gig. This has happened during rehearsal twice. I really need to remember to have a spare with me.

My heart goes out to you man.

BUT......it sounds like you covered it well!

A couple of months ago I left the seat top of my Roc N Soc at home. I live a half hour away from the gig and I had 50 minutes. Luckily my wife was able to meet me half way. I could have sat on a regular chair but 4 hours of that would have been hell.
I always have 2 snare drums with me in case one gives out. My worst fear is busting through my kick drum head in the middle of a gig. This has happened during rehearsal twice. I really need to remember to have a spare with me.

Had the kick split happen one time and we tried just tape at first and it really wasn't very audible. What helped was grabbing a cardboard drink coaster from the bar and putting that where the beater strikes. It honestly didn't sound too bad and was a quick fix!

I constantly worry bout leaving key pieces of my set home,to the point that I will pull over and double check. Fortunately the worst that has happened is forgetting my drum rug, stuff to do with lighting, or other supplemental things. Last fall our rhythm guitarist forgot his guitar, but fortunately we were only 20 miles from home and he had over an hour. I'm sure if I forgot my snare or cymbals I would be screwed.

One thing that helps, have designated bags, for me, I have six drum bags, one accessory bag with loose stands and mics, pedal bag, cymbal bag, and my three pieces for my rack. As long as everything is in those bags I'm good.

Oh crap, almost forgot that rug again :)

Last edited:
When I pack up my van, I do it the exact same way every time. Because of that, I generally will notice if something is missing. This is especially important at the end of the night. Leaving something behind at a bar and realizing it the next day is terrifying.

Back