How much beat division is a "hair" ?

okiemuse

I recently heard an interview with Hal Blaine describing his productive sessions with Phil Spector. Hal said one of the things he usually did was take the 2 and 4 and play them a "hair" behind the beat. Note that for this newbie, it's an accomplishment to consistently play directly on the beat. So I got into some basic drum machine software and started experimenting with 2 and 4. Yes there's a difference as I move them around, but I'm not sure if I'm moving too far or not enough. My ears tell me that I can't pull those beats back more than about 1/10th of the beat without things sounding odd. (The software divides the space between 1 and 2 into 12 slices.)

The reason I'm burning to learn this is that I'm fascinated by the energy drummers get when they do this. I notice it mostly in reggae and jazz.

Well you have the right idea. Depending upon tempo, a 1/10th could be a lot so.. .. consider a hair behind the beat just to be that little bit you stay behind and don't rush it.

It's the same as a smidge. ;-)

It's the same as a smidge. ;-)

Well I wonder why he just didn't say that?

It's nice to know that my ears seem to have the right idea. That could be handy going forward.

(PS Hope I'm forgiven for mentioning the "drum m-----e" word.)

You Tube some Steve Jordan for great "behind the beat" playing.

Check out, also, some Stewart Copeland from the Police for great "on top of the beat" playing.

Everywhere from those two places and in between is the realm of push/pull.

Uncle Larry can explain it to you better.

A "hair" is just a bit more that a "C' Hair"... Which is just a bit more than a "Red C' Hair"

It would be a "feel". Like how much is a lot. a hair is a small amount, felt not written.

Back