Video Demo: Mapex Versatus Snare

RobertM

Platinum Member
I finally found a shop that's posted a video demo of the Mapex Versatus snare (maple/mahogany):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2vdvh7tA0

I have a soft spot of 4x14 snares (this one is 4 5/8 x 14), so I've been waiting to hear what it sounds like.

What do folks think? The other snare in this size range that sounds nice is the new Premier Modern Classic 4.5x14 (birch/mahogany) with 5mm rolled clip hoops.

Yes, I had mixed feelings about it too. I'm waiting to hear the Copper Phonics, and the Premier Modern Classics (kit and snares) sound pretty nice. Steve Maxwell has a video demo on this kit.

I like it. Especially the "errant high overtones," also known as "ring." Can't help it. I like snares that ring. This one does not compel me to move immediately to buy one, but it's quite nice sounding. Also much too expensive.

GeeDeeEmm

I like it. Especially the "errant high overtones," also known as "ring." Can't help it. I like snares that ring. This one does not compel me to move immediately to buy one, but it's quite nice sounding. Also much too expensive.

GeeDeeEmm
i was specific about sighting "errant" high overtones, because they're very different to the harmonic high overtones that produce the sweet ring that so many players (including me) like. The errant high overtones are those nasty grating, & often transient rings that just get in the way of the fundamental.

I listened to that video through good reference gear, & if I produced a snare that sounded like that, it would be heading straight for the dumpster. I honestly thought it was a sub $100 drum.

I listened to that video through good reference gear, & if I produced a snare that sounded like that, it would be heading straight for the dumpster. I honestly thought it was a sub $100 drum.

Don't tell Russ Miller that! Ha!

Yes, I was bothered by what I felt was excessive ring--it didn't sound super well controlled. I liked some of the sensitivity, but even that feature was compromised by the overtones.

I have a soft spot of 4x14 snares (this one is 4 5/8 x 14), so I've been waiting to hear what it sounds like.

From that video:

I dislike the overtone. It's disorganized, like a bunch of different sized bells ringing in unison but not really intoned to one another.

Aside from that, it snaps and sizzles. I can't comment on sensitivity because we can't see the player's hands.

Didn't like the low tuning. The higher running was better but nothing special.

The DW Bamboo snare was, like most DW stuff, completely unoffensive. It has that dry DW wood snare sound (Think of the intro to two princes by the Spin Doctors). Many people find it desirable. I imagine I would want something like this if I had worthy articulation.

I checked out a few of their snare videos and some are panned to one side (The right side if I've got my earphones in the right ears). It makes anything sound dull. I wouldn't write the drum off just yet. There's crappy videos of every snare on youtube whether it be the recording or the presentation/playing.

I just got a maple custom 14x4. I haven't recorded it properly yet but you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgv7rUMQap8&index=3&list=UUx9QZ-857KIwq7xLG7BLc0w

I can vouch for it - was gonna get a cheap dixon 14x4 just because I wanted to try the size but when I heard this I had to have it.

I just got a maple custom 14x4. I haven't recorded it properly yet but you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgv7rUMQap8&index=3&list=UUx9QZ-857KIwq7xLG7BLc0w
I can listen straight through the poor audio & hear that all is working well with that snare. No issues, & recorded well (& by well, I just mean with something that isn't clipping or overly coloured) I'm sure it delivers according to expectations. The previous video was different. Audio quality was more than acceptable, but the drum itself was producing some nasty stuff that's fairly difficult to replicate via poor recording or poor tuning. Not impossible, but difficult.

I kind of like it though, I don't find the ring too annoying, and certainly not dumpster material. I do miss a solid rimclick sound though.

Here's a clip of the snare with the kit and in the tuning Russ prefers it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3LMk0rkDt4

But it's not is it. That's the Saturn snare that comes with the kit!

I thought the snare in the original post was very "meh". Nothing special considering it's supposed to be specially designed to his specs.

This thread proves to me that I need to up my game in regard to drum sounds. I wish I had more of the discerning ear of guys like Andy and others that know exactly what they prefer.

I thought the snare sounded fine. I guess I would agree that it doesn't necessarily sound $450+ good.

I didn't care for the overtones, but I'm wondering how much of that is due to tuning? When I sold drums, I was amazed by how poor someone could make a Supra or Black beauty sound when I handed them a key, so they could tune to their liking while testing.

Nothing like a Black Beauty that says boing!

GeeDeeEmm

I agree. I liked it immediately upon release, but would never buy it for that price. Maybe $300 tops.....

Back