Got about 15 mins each day to increase speed... How should I practice?

T-1000

As title says, started a hectic job and got a lot of commitments at the moment, but I still want to build speed.

I can reliably dedicate 15 minutes each day to this goal. I live in a tiny space and have no kick pedals, so will have to focus exclusively on hand technique.

First of all, is it even possible to get faster with 15 minutes per day?

And, if it is, what would you do to increase it? Have any renowned drum teachers/players weighed in on this subject?

Thanks!

As title says, started a hectic job and got a lot of commitments at the moment, but I still want to build speed.

I can reliably dedicate 15 minutes each day to this goal. I live in a tiny space and have no kick pedals, so will have to focus exclusively on hand technique.

First of all, is it even possible to get faster with 15 minutes per day?

And, if it is, what would you do to increase it? Have any renowned drum teachers/players weighed in on this subject?

Thanks!

What is it you want to get faster at? 15 smart & targeted minutes a day can be quite effective.

Spend 20 soggy dollars, and do Bill Bachman's workout (from the link in his signature in his post), and then you tell us if you're faster after a month of 15 minutes everyday. All you need is sticks, a practice pad, a chair, and a mirror to check your technique and posture...

I've gotta ask mate. Since I joined this forum in 2009, you've only ever asked one question.......you may have started a host of different threads on it and asked it in ever so slightly different ways.......but nonetheless the question always remains the same, "how do I get faster?"

Honestly, do you even bother to read the responses? Have you tried the multitude of drills, exercises, concepts, ideas or other general tidbits of information that you've had thrown at you for over 5 years now? Do you actually put any work into improvement or is it just continually ignored in favour of a magic pill that ain't ever gonna come? What info do you possibly think you're gonna get this time round that you didn't get the last 100 or so times you raised this? I just can't possibly fathom what you're doing with the veritable mountain of advice you've already been given, that you haven't seen a skerrick of improvement since 2009 and therefore need to ask this again. It's genuinely bewildering.

hmmm, I wasn't trying to get suckered into buying a product - just wanted to know what parameters would be best to do in the 15 minutes.

So should I spend all of that 15 minutes working at 1 speed and go for endurance? Or ramp up to playing on the edge of my 'technical breakdown speed' by the end of the 15 minutes? And if so, how to ramp it up?

So if you want to increase speed and control, I'd concentrate on pad work.

If you're willing to buy the Tommy Igoe DVD Great Hands for a Lifetime, the Lifetime Warm-Up would be perfect. The Intermediate and Advanced versions run about 10 minutes each, and you can spend the 5 working on specific rudiments/phrases. Also, I slow down the play-alongs to slower tempos so I can work with them at slower speeds, and doing that can end up taking most the 15 minutes.

Since I joined this forum in 2009, you've only ever asked one question.......you may have started a host of different threads on it and asked it in ever so slightly different ways.......but nonetheless the question always remains the same, "how do I get faster?"

Honestly, do you even bother to read the responses? Have you tried the multitude of drills, exercises, concepts, ideas or other general tidbits of information that you've had thrown at you for over 5 years now? Do you actually put any work into improvement or is it just continually ignored in favour of a magic pill that ain't ever gonna come? What info do you possibly think you're gonna get this time round that you didn't get the last 100 or so times you raised this? I just can't possibly fathom what you're doing with the veritable mountain of advice you've already been given, that you haven't seen a skerrick of improvement since 2009 and therefore need to ask this again. It's genuinely bewildering.

I noticed this too! The answer is quite simple I guess. T-1000 probably didn't follow through with the advice given or the advice was simply bad to begin with! Well obviously there's something wrong somewhere since the same question gets asked over and over again..

I've gotta ask mate. Since I joined this forum in 2009, you've only ever asked one question.......you may have started a host of different threads on it and asked it in ever so slightly different ways.......but nonetheless the question always remains the same, "how do I get faster?"

Indeed. I'm a bit confounded by it as well, having been tricked into responding to a previous thread. I'm not sure if he's trolling, or perhaps gets a bit too far into the herb, but something is definitely fishy.

It makes me giggle. In five years (and the OP has been here eight) with enough practice, you can go from 'absolute beginner' to 'monster'. I've seen it - my brother started playing the Piano at five and by the age of ten he was up to a professional standard.

Now I admit, life gets in the way as we get older. Spending eight years on a forum asking about speed suggests to me a few things, though.

i) The OP hasn't been working at it, or is continually looking for 'quick fixes'. I'll tell you what's quicker - practicing. It almost doesn't matter what technique you're practicing, if you practice it and work it up gradually, you will get faster. Tell you what mate - practice is the best 'quick fix' out there and after eight years you might've worked this out.

ii) You're not taking the advice in. After a good number of threads, you're still asking the same question! How about writing some of it down?

iii) You're not working on any other aspects of your playing. Who wants to hear just speed?!

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with working on speed - but it looks like that's all you're working on.

Back