PDP or Tama?

7DaysToTheWolves

I'm split between purchasing either a PDP FS 6-piece that comes with stands and all, but I'd still have to buy another bass drum and floor tom.
471233jpg.jpg

Or a Tama Rockstar shellpack 8-piece that DOES come with all the drums I want.
540277jpg.jpg

I've heard they're both great kits, but I've got no experience with Tama other than my iron cobra pedals, where I own a PDP currently.

I wasn't sure if I should go a different direction and try a different brand or stick with the one I know. Honestly, I'd like to know which set has a deeper tone and sounds a bit more fit for the metal genre.

Thanks.

I haven't owned the kits you're looking at, but I started with a crappy little Tama Stagestar, and then got a PDP 805 (which I am trading for a ddrum Diablo, but that's another story).

I know that that the PDP kits, especially the one I have, are good for metal. Not sure about Tama.

personally. i would go with the Pacific....

mainly cause its birch...not basswood/poplar or something...

it will have a better sound, and it will be a good kit...

not saying the tama isnt a good kit....all Tama's kits are built to last, so dont get me wrong..

Alex

personally. i would go with the Pacific....

mainly cause its birch...not basswood/poplar or something...

it will have a better sound, and it will be a good kit...

not saying the tama isnt a good kit....all Tama's kits are built to last, so dont get me wrong..

Alex

Wood doesn't matter as much as heads.

I would go with the Pacific for the wood.

I disagree that wood does not matter as much as heads.

Yes you can put good heads on a crapy kit and make it sound ok.But put good heads on a great kit and it will sound great.

Why would you settle for mixed low end wood vs 100% birch?

Dont get me wrong TAMA builds great kits when you get into the Starclassic line. Then you are compairing a Pacific mid levl kit to a TAMA pro line kit and the price tag that goes with that.

This is a tough one, even though I love Tama, I would go with...wait no..., the.....no...

I CAN'T CHOOSE!!!

Dude. You still have a lot to learn about this stuff. All the drama over the 805s, then downgrading to Pearl Exports, then trading for the Diablo, but not planning on using most of it shows that.

Seriously, bro, this is a great board, and there are a lot of guys on here who have made it big in drumming, a lot of guys like me who aren't big, but make a living off the instrument, a lot of guys who have played longer than you and I combined have lived...spend some time looking around here and learning, instead of just showing off your kit and saying what you think is true.

I don't mean this post to come off as rude...but as an honest suggestion. You are here, and you clearly care a lot about drums and drumming...but you don't seem to take advantage of the resources here, which could help you greatly.

Depends what you want...

i just bought a starclassic double bass drum kit.... i love it to death..

i would advise "if your getting two bass drums do not put toms in them.
get sepparate mounting. drums sound better and looks a hell of a lot better.

dont buy a drum kit just because it has two bass drums. buy the best kit you can afford then buy the seccond bass drum afterwards.

better than getting a cheepy kit just because its got two bass drums.

oh TAMA all the way

thats just my opinion :)

i own the pdp fs birch and its great. i used to play alot of metallica, pantera, tool, etc. and now play more stanton moore, steve jordan, carter beauford, chad smith, alan evans of soulive (very "juicy" check them out if youve never heard of 'em and youll see why we call em that. they're very modern hifi r&b/new jazz)

either way these drums are very good. my only complaint is that im not a huge fan of the look of the lugs but thats it.

if you get the pdps check this before mounting them...
pdp suspension mounting

its no problem now but it was kinda disturbing that theyve been doing that to my shells for 2 years.

let me know if you have any questions about these drums, or that music...
id be glad to help you out!

I would go with the PDP but i'm not a big fan of Tama...i mean the kits are nice and they sound good but for some reason they just dont do it for me...so yeah my vote is the PDP but go for what sounds good to you and what will fit your playing needs most....but alot of metal players play Tama kits and i don't think thats just coincidence...but again, in the end its what you like best

Dude please don't post information you wouldn't bet your life on....you just embarrassed yourself with that one...and we aren't trying to sound like jerks when we tell you you are wrong...but its a little idiotic to post information about things you are not sure about

Dude please don't post information you wouldn't bet your life on....you just embarrassed yourself with that one...and we aren't trying to sound like jerks when we tell you you are wrong...but its a little idiotic to post information about things you are not sure about

things like that really crack me up lmao

I think the PDP birch is a good bet. The Tama hardware is much more heavy-duty, and will probably last longer, but the all birch shells should sound better. (If it has good bearing edges, i've heard a few stories about bad edges with PDPs)

Back