Would you buy...

Mr. Brownstone

...a high end pro kit for almost half the price ($2500 vs $4000) if you were ok, but not crazy about the wrap/finish?

...a high end pro kit for almost half the price ($2500 vs $4000) if you were ok, but not crazy about the wrap/finish?

Depends on condition of the kit and how old it is...

I could live with a finish that is not my fav colour, so if the kit is OK and not 30 years old, I would consider...

Depends. If you can't afford what you want, then compromise is always good. But for me, the instrument has to be inspiring to play too, or else there's always something in the back of your mind that tells you that you really don't like them. I think we all tend to compromise on the drums we like to play, even with the set I have now, there are some things I can live with, but the color is a big thing because it's the biggest thing you see.

I don't know about anybody else, but Sonor's high-end drums have some of the ugliest finishes I've ever seen, so I'm not sure I'd get one of those if it were half-off. But if it were one of the classic wrap finishes, I might consider it if it was a Ludwig or a Gretsch...

No.

$2,000-$2,500 is a lot to spend on a drum set I wouldn't be totally happy with.

Although it would sort of depend on what the finish is.

I.E. I'm not big on plain black, but it goes with everything, and never goes out of style. I could live with that.

While some of the really wild swirls, or bright colors are going to stand out no matter what, and if it's not your thing, forget it.

Cosmetics are the last thing I consider when buying a kit. So if a deal comes down with all the pieces I like and a heavy price thats been chopped down alot I could care less what the color is. To safe thousands of dollars it would have to be one hell of a Ugly finish to chase me away!! Post a pic of the finish!!! Doc

..........I just bought a Signia kit in Amythest (its still Purple) not my first or second choice but the color is last on my list.

There are a few finishes in the store, but the only one I'm considering is this one...funny you mentioning Sonor Bo :)

301769Z.jpg

I'm almost considering getting it and then a few years down the road take the wrap off and have it stained and shellacked.

So confused.

I don't care what the discount is or the finish, it would have to be the sound I was looking for first and foremost for me to even think about buying it. To get it just to say you have a high end kit is not a good enough reason to me.

That kit is 4 grand??? Plus to take off a wrap isn't as easy as you think. If you don't destroy the veneer under the wrap how do you know its a finishing veneer it might be crap because the shell was preped for a wrap. That kit is 4$grand??? Really? Doc

First off are you talking LIST pricings to RETAIL because that kit your showing might be a LIST 4 grand but even 2,500.00 retail sounds WAY to high for what I'm seeing.

No, it's just to show the finish...there are more drums and hardware than shown here.

FWIW sound is definitley not an issue.

OK gotcha, that finish is a nice clean look to me. Red is a winner for me. Doc

Mmmmh... I like that fisnish.

I say, if you're OK with the sound, go for it, it's a really nice saving

I believe he meant he checked out the drums and he likes the sound they produce! Atleast thats the impression I got. Doc

Is this a kit for recording or touring with? Does it matter?

I did.

I got my DWs (2010 Collectors 5 piece) for $2000 brand new. Black Velvet finish; I like it , but it wasn't my first choice. I didn't think I'd get another chance at a DW for that price new, and I wasn't going to wati to see if a better finish came along.

Now if they had been a pea green color, I probably would have passed.

The finish is one aspect of a drumkit, and if you're getting a deal, it's one to cosider being flexible on. my dream DW kit would have a laquer fade or burst finish over an exotic wood, but I doubt I'll ever be able to stomach the 5K+ it would cost.

There are a few finishes in the store, but the only one I'm considering is this one...funny you mentioning Sonor Bo :)

301769Z.jpg

I'm almost considering getting it and then a few years down the road take the wrap off and have it stained and shellacked.

So confused.

That's a Sonor finish I like! I'd get those. But what are those? SQ's? DeLites?

Changing the wrap on a kit is NOT all that difficult. A well-placed heat gun softens the glue and you can easily take it off. Replacing with new pearl isn't so hard either, you just have to know how to do it right.

Back